Help adjusting Pablo Popvitch's diet (Questions)

RyanMMA09

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Popovitch Diet - BJJ Center Diet

Okay, I'm not sure about everyone else, but to me this diet is fairly vague. I've got many questions about this, but I just want to start off with the basics. First off, I don't own any Muscle Milk, but I do use whey protein, is that a decent substitute? I also don't or won't have access to Endurox, can that just be eliminated completely? It says that we can have coffee, but morning only. Does that mean EVERY morning? And if so, can we put ANYTHING in it, or should it just be black?

Now on to the actual example he puts. As far as the morning goes, I understand everything except for the cereal and I have a question about the green tea. As for the cereal, what kind that can easily be found at a grocery store should I use? Multiple options would be nice, but I'm up for doing just about anything reasonable. And as for green tea, I usually mix in a spoonful of honey with it, is that okay to continue?

I'm good on the snack before lunch and my only question about lunch, is what vegetables do you guys recommend using? And by protein (red or white meat,) does he mean everything? From steak to chicken to turkey to fish and so on? I get the before snack and afternoon snack (so JUST in the afternoon I have 2 or 3 slices of the whole wheat bread?) Which leads me to the whole wheat bread question, do I literally just buy sliced whole wheat bread from the grocery store and put some olive oil on it? Measurements for the olive oil would be great as well.

Now it's just dinner and before bed. From my understanding, I put the tomatoes on the whole wheat bread? It's another stupid question, but how much do I do for tomatoes, like how many? Second question; what exactly is sweet potato soup, and is there a healthy alternative that woudn't drastically change anything? It also says Yucca, but that's a vegetable (I think it's a vegetable?) I'm not accessible to, what's a good replacement? For the third option, can I put anything on the sweet potato, like sprinkle brown sugar, or is that really not recommended? And another question, is why does the third option seem like so much more food than say, the first? I'm assuming I would alternate every three days, it's just a little strange to me.

The last thing he listed was before bed. He means just one serving of the cashews, correct? And natural yogurt, is that something I can just find regularly at the grocery store? Then my last question for now, would be about the fruits. He's not specific about the before bed fruit, do you think he means any fruit he listed on that page? And then as for fruits, he listed Banana or Plum or Fig or Raspberry or Cherry or Apple. Now this is an even dumber question, but does he mean Raspberries or Cherries? Surely one of each isn't even enough worth mentioning, I just wanted to confirm that. And I'm guessing he means or, right? He's not saying to eat all those fruits in one serving is he? I would think not.

Again, some of these questions probably seem more than stupid, I'm just sincerely just trying to figure this diet out and make some minor tweaks and adjustments without changing the whole premises. And I'm only 18, so I'm not too educated on certain foods and cooking. Now I'm already assuming I'll get some responses saying if I have that many questions, this diet probably isn't for you, which is probably a smart thing to say, but it's something I'm going to try my best to figure out, so instead of trying to convince me otherwise, It'd be nice if you'd just help me with what you can. I really appreciate any and all help, because as I know, I have a shitload of questions here. Thanks ya'll. ;)

(I know I said I'd try it regardless of what is said, but I'm not going to be completely stubborn. If you have a strong opinion on or against it, please let it be known.)

I'm a big Pablo fan but this diet makes me cringe.

Follow a 40/40/20 and use Keto to cut.

wtf_is_this.jpg

You need to forget everything you read on that page.

As madmick said in the gracie diet thread...learn submissions from the gracies, learn about diets from dietitians.

He seems to be very carb tolerant, not everyone is like him, and not everyone trains BJJ full -time. That's why most recommendations are principles or guidelines with general categories to base your own diet off of. Not "only eat this type of food at this time of day" or "milk is for babies so I only drink Muscle Milk and protein shakes. What are they made from? I apparently don't know"

I'll just post my current diet right now. It will make you cringe much worse, but maybe some things can be added and taken away to make it a much better and complete way to eat.

Breakfast:
1 bowl of oatmeal (Quaker instant oatmeal, weight control, maple & brown sugar)
2 hard boiled eggs
1 glass of hot green tea (with spoonful of honey)

Lunch:
1 salad (Green leaf lettuce, spinach leafs, blueberries, raspberries, cherry tomatoes, walnuts, and 1/2 of a grilled chicken breast, NO DRESSING *I use juice from squirting a lime*)

Dinner:
Choice 1 -
1 whole grilled chicken breast (with salt)
Choice 2 -
1 whole salmon fillet (with a little seasoning)
I also have a vegetable with each. I used to have broccoli with the salmon, but I've been lazy lately and have been eating peas with it. The peas are plain however. I'll also have a vegetable with the chicken, although I've been eating a cornbread dish with it (damn mom's cooking, so good) lately, but that's something I'm going to have to eliminate.

When I eat like this, I drop weight easily (and I'm only 6'3 173-175 at 18 years old as it is.) That's not the problem. The problem is, it feels like I'm starving myself when I eat this way, so I can only assume I am. Now I don't think it's just the amount of food I eat a day that's the problem, I'm guessing I go way too long at times without having a meal. I have to go drive out to college and my classes start at 9:30 everyday, so I'm eating breakfast around 6-6:30 on most mornings. I'm not having my lunch until 1-2 o'clock, sometimes around noon. And I'll eat dinner usually from anytime between 6-8:30 in the evening. I'm thinking I need to add some things, maybe take away or make some adjustments, and change the meals around (as in spread things out.)

Since everybody's against Pablo's diet, if you could help me adjust my own, that would work. I just know the way the current diet I posted makes me, some days I rarely have the energy to lift weights and run. As far as goals go with working out, I'm trying to achieve lean muscle, not really wanting to bulk up. I just know I need more energy each day and at my age, if I'm lacking energy, it's due to my diet (I go to sleep early, around 10 or 11 most nights.) I've read some threads in this area, I'm just looking for adjustments and suggestions. Again, thanks for all the help.

*I also have a whey protein shake (1 scoop) in the morning and one before I go to sleep. On days I lift weights, I'll have one before and after doing so as well.*

Edit: Another thing, I'm out at the college for classes some days til around 2:45 and usually don't get home til around 3:30 on those days and that's when I eat lunch. It's just Monday and Wednesday. Tuesday I get out at 10:45 and am home around 11:30 and Thursday/Friday I go til I'm thinking 1:30 and will get home around 2-2:15. So I'd have to eat accordingly. I'm not saying I can't take anything out to the school, I'm just saying it'd be nice if we could make that something easy, like a fruit or something?

wow that is horrible. "Im not a nutritionist but I'm very good with nutrition." No, pablo, you're not.

Just ignore that whole page and act like you never read it. Start over again in here.

wow that is horrible. "Im not a nutritionist but I'm very good with nutrition." No, pablo, you're not.

Just ignore that whole page and act like you never read it. Start over again in here.

That's fine, I will. I'm assuming he's a genetic freak that can eat just about anything within reason and still be in that kind of shape?

I'll just post my current diet right now. It will make you cringe much worse, but maybe some things can be added and taken away to make it a much better and complete way to eat.

Breakfast:
1 bowl of oatmeal (Quaker instant oatmeal, weight control, maple & brown sugar)
2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch:
1 salad (Green leaf lettuce, spinach leafs, blueberries, raspberries, cherry tomatoes, walnuts, and 1/2 of a grilled chicken breast, NO DRESSING *I use juice from squirting a lime*)

Dinner:
Choice 1 -
1 whole grilled chicken breast (with salt)
Choice 2 -
1 whole salmon fillet (with a little seasoning)
I also have a vegetable with each. I used to have broccoli with the salmon, but I've been lazy lately and have been eating peas with it. The peas are plain however. I'll also have a vegetable with the chicken, although I've been eating a cornbread dish with it (damn mom's cooking, so good) lately, but that's something I'm going to have to eliminate.

When I eat like this, I drop weight easily (and I'm only 6'3 173-175 at 18 years old as it is.) That's not the problem. The problem is, it feels like I'm starving myself when I eat this way, so I can only assume I am. Now I don't think it's just the amount of food I eat a day that's the problem, I'm guessing I go way too long at times without having a meal. I have to go drive out to college and my classes start at 9:30 everyday, so I'm eating breakfast around 6-6:30 on most mornings. I'm not having my lunch until 1-2 o'clock, sometimes around noon. And I'll eat dinner usually from anytime between 6-8:30 in the evening. I'm thinking I need to add some things, maybe take away or make some adjustments, and change the meals around (as in spread things out.)

Since everybody's against Pablo's diet, if you could help me adjust my own, that would work. I just know the way the current diet I posted makes me, some days I rarely have the energy to lift weights and run. As far as goals go with working out, I'm trying to achieve lean muscle, not really wanting to bulk up. I just know I need more energy each day and at my age, if I'm lacking energy, it's due to my diet (I go to sleep early, around 10 or 11 most nights.) I've read some threads in this area, I'm just looking for adjustments and suggestions. Again, thanks for all the help.

*I also have a whey protein shake (1 scoop) in the morning and one before I go to sleep. On days I lift weights, I'll have one before and after doing so as well.*

Edit: Another thing, I'm out at the college for classes some days til around 2:45 and usually don't get home til around 3:30 on those days and that's when I eat lunch. It's just Monday and Wednesday. Tuesday I get out at 10:45 and am home around 11:30 and Thursday/Friday I go til I'm thinking 1:30 and will get home around 2-2:15. So I'd have to eat accordingly. I'm not saying I can't take anything out to the school, I'm just saying it'd be nice if we could make that something easy, like a fruit or something?

You answered your own question. You are starving yourself.

I agree, but can you help me adjust it accordingly or give me ideas that I can change, so I won't be doing this?

Go to fitday.com

Measure your BMR.

Add in any physical activities that you do to your BMR.

Tweak a diet to meat that caloric number.

Add 500 calories to bulk or subtract 500 calories to cut.

Shoot for macronutrients of your caloric goal of 40/40/20 pro/carbs/fat

Do that for a couple of weeks. If you like your results, keep it, if you feel like tweaking it to add calories do it, but stick with the 40/40/20

Do not be afraid of fat. Healthy fats are very calorie dense and will help with your hunger.

It says I burn 3,103 calories because I put seated, with some movement and I haven't done anything today, so with my height and weight, that's what it's automatically at. And it says my BMI is 21.87, which is under Healthy Weight. There's little information I put on there, so I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is right now thus far, but that's what it's all at. Where can I measure my BMR?

So I did a food log for the diet I currently eat, but without the salad, because it was too much stuff to think of for amount. So the estimates are around;

1,286 calories
31.7 g of fat
154.1 g of carbs
99.5 g of protein

But I'm assuming the protein from the half chicken in the salad would make that a good bit higher. And I put 1 medium breast (yield after cooking, bone and skin removed,) which I'm not sure is the best choice for what I actually have or not. But there's some info on it.

My daily consuption for comparison:
Cup each of of frozen berries, mixed fruit, and spinach
4 eggs
1.5+lbs dead animal (any animal... pick a couple)
cup of oats (THE key to gaining weight)
2-4 cups cruciferous vegetables
2 quarts milk
1 cup mixed nuts (1000 Calories right there)
2-3 servings protein powder

I say start with that and start dialing it back if need be.

So I did a food log for the diet I currently eat, but without the salad, because it was too much stuff to think of for amount. So the estimates are around;

1,286 calories
31.7 g of fat
154.1 g of carbs
99.5 g of protein

But I'm assuming the protein from the half chicken in the salad would make that a good bit higher. And I put 1 medium breast (yield after cooking, bone and skin removed,) which I'm not sure is the best choice for what I actually have or not. But there's some info on it.

BMI is worthless with anything in regard to an athlete. My BMI will show me as severe obese, yet I am at 8% bodyfat.

Anyhow, you need at least 3100cals for maintence according to your BMR you pulled. If you eat 1300cals you are in an 1800cal deficit, which is extreme for any person regardless of size/weight. Keep in mind this doesn't include cals burned from weightlifting, grappling, etc. You really need to up your eating habits, if you have a tough time actually consuming the additional whole food you may want consider a gainer product. CytoSport makes a great one.

Go to fitday.com

Measure your BMR.

Add in any physical activities that you do to your BMR.

Tweak a diet to meat that caloric number.

Add 500 calories to bulk or subtract 500 calories to cut.

Shoot for macronutrients of your caloric goal of 40/40/20 pro/carbs/fat

Do that for a couple of weeks. If you like your results, keep it, if you feel like tweaking it to add calories do it, but stick with the 40/40/20

Do not be afraid of fat. Healthy fats are very calorie dense and will help with your hunger.

How do you find your bmr on that site? I signed up and can't find it.

I was thinking of adding fruit throughout the day, taking the 1/2 chicken breast out of the salad and eating the salad, along with a whole chicken breast on the side. I kind of like his idea of wheat bread with olive oil though, possibly once a day? It couldn't hurt my energy levels? Wheat pasta wouldn't be a bad idea two days a week either. And maybe a cup of nuts. So here's the idea. And also, Saturday is my cheat day, so I put wheat pasta on that day and I might replace it with something else if my family wants to go out to eat or something.

When I wake up ;
Oatmeal
Green tea
Protein powder (w/Milk on Mondays and Fridays)
Hard boiled eggs

Sometime at the school ;
Banana and pineapple

Whenever I get home ;
Salad
Green tea
Grilled chicken breast

Between then and dinner ;
Orange
Green tea
Whole wheat bread (w/Olive oil)

Dinner in the afternoon ;
Monday - Grilled salmon, green tea, broccoli
Tuesday - Wheat pasta, green tea, spinach
Wednesday - Filet mignon, green tea, sweet potato (w/Brown sugar)
Thursday - Grilled Chicken Breast, green tea, asparagus
Friday - Grilled Salmon, green tea, broccoli
Saturday - Wheat pasta (Or cheat meal,) green tea, spinach
Sunday - Grilled Chicken Breast, green tea, asparagus

Before I go to bed ;
Cashews (w/No salt)

I was thinking of adding fruit throughout the day, taking the 1/2 chicken breast out of the salad and eating the salad, along with a whole chicken breast on the side. I kind of like his idea of wheat bread with olive oil though, possibly once a day? It couldn't hurt my energy levels? Wheat pasta wouldn't be a bad idea two days a week either. And maybe a cup of nuts. So here's the idea. And also, Saturday is my cheat day, so I put wheat pasta on that day and I might replace it with something else if my family wants to go out to eat or something.

When I wake up ;
Oatmeal
Green tea
Hard boiled eggs

Sometime at the school ;
Banana and pineapple

Whenever I get home ;
Salad
Green tea
Grilled chicken breast

Between then and dinner ;
Orange
Green tea
Whole wheat bread (w/Olive oil)

Dinner in the afternoon ;
Monday - Grilled salmon, green tea, broccoli
Tuesday - Wheat pasta, green tea, spinach
Wednesday - Filet mignon, green tea, sweet potato (w/Brown sugar)
Thursday - Grilled Chicken Breast, green tea, asparagus
Friday - Grilled Salmon, green tea, broccoli
Saturday - Wheat pasta (Or cheat meal,) green tea, spinach
Sunday - Grilled Chicken Breast, green tea, asparagus

Before I go to bed ;
Cashews (w/No salt)

Seriously, where is the fat in your diet, other than some of your meat choices at night?

That's fine, I will. I'm assuming he's a genetic freak that can eat just about anything within reason and still be in that kind of shape?

yeah thats pretty much it. and he trains like a maniac. Put those together and ppl start asking what he eats, but thats the wrong question.

Follow a diet which consists mainly of meats, fruits and vegetables, and you will be off to a good start.

Seriously, where is the fat in your diet, other than some of your meat choices at night?

Anything with fat that I could take out to school and eat in the mornings? I'm not sure what's higher in fat other than steaks and other meats.

Back