Heightism has to stop

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Towerworld, Mar 8, 2018.

1. USA!USA!

USA!USA! Black Belt

lot of benefits to being short/small...

more flexible clothing options (boys section)

that's about all I've got, actually.

2. Quipling

Quipling Red Belt

You have feelings, sure, but they're small and beneath notice. Just like the rest of you. Anyways, people have increased in height over time, so clearly evolution is against you.

The Mongols used horses to improve their height. This is well known.
    Alexander was able to overcome his inferior physique through intellect, obviously. He also spent a lot of time on horseback.

(Also, nobody actually knows how tall he was because his mummy was destroyed before anyone measured it. The best we have is artwork and his father's mummy (5'8"), which would make Alexander about 5'6". Or slightly taller than the average Greek of his time. Likewise, the Mongols were were the same size as most of the people they fought).

PainIsLIfe and Swing like this.
  3. floivanus

floivanus Green Belt

you should be giving women plenty of protein to ingest.

ithinktheymad and Seaside like this.
  4. lilelvis

lilelvis Brown Belt Platinum Member

Thread came up short.

5. nostradumbass

nostradumbass Gold Belt

6. ultramanhyata

ultramanhyata Gold Belt

I am a tall man and I have never, ever made a disparaging or comic remark either to or about any short dude. Some of my best friends through life have been on the smaller side in stature.

To me it's like belittling a girl for being flat chested or a guy for having a needle dick. It is a quality entirely out of the control of the individual and therefore off limits as far as criticism is concerned. IMO.

Uptown Swinger, sniper, weich and 3 others like this.
  7. 2DUM2TAP

2DUM2TAP Silver Belt

On top of a Mountain punch dancing my rage away
    That is the funniest gif I have ever seen

Uptown Swinger and tonni like this.
  8. drstrangelov

drstrangelov Hey.

Vladimir Putin is 4'11", if your height is holding you back, you don't have enough fight in you.

9. PainIsLIfe

PainIsLIfe Gold Belt

Define short - I'm 5'7 and women love to date me and I'm in the top 10% or our plant in pay.

Oh, and I had Napoleon Complex in hs and would flat throw down in a heartbeat on bigger dudes.

V-2 likes this.
  10. StrikerKing

StrikerKing Green Belt

Your understanding of evolution is severely lacking. "being more evolved" simply means being more adept at surviving a particular environment. Humans did not evolve from shorter people for one, and being taller only indicates more evolved if it is under the circumstances that height is a benefit. There is a cost/benefit taller you are that will eventually get to a point where the benefits of height are no longer a function of survival. There is a reason why all of the world's apex predators are in fact smaller versions of their distant ancestors. What was more evolved at the time, a 2 ton cave bear, or a much much smaller black bear? Obviously the black bear, as it was able to survive when the cave bear did not.

There are certainly evolutionary advantages to being tall, but there are also several advantages to being shorter than the median, especially later in life. Smaller/shorter people do not require as much nutrition, they tend to live much longer, and have less health problems as they age, hence on average, a much better quality of life in later years. Pacific islanders and people of Japanese islands are all pretty short genetically, even with great diets. They also tend to have life expectancy far greater than those who are taller.

11. Son of Jamin

Son of Jamin Make MMA Great Again

Not saying that you are wrong but what about countries like Sweden and the Netherlands, amongst the tallest people and also long life expectancies?

12. BassAckwards

BassAckwards Brown Belt

well, if women could properly defend themselves and knew how to hunt, then maybe they could get more protein.

13. StrikerKing

StrikerKing Green Belt

Oh sure, as with most things dealing with correlation, it is a matter of averages, but there can certainly be exceptions. Also, the evolutionary disadvantages of being taller isn't really apparent until after 6'2" or so. I read a couple of studies awhile back, don't remember the specifics, but basically researchers found a point in height (maybe around 6"3" or so) that for every inch after that there was an exponential increase in physical ailments and a drop in years in life expectancy. So its not so much a big deal if your 6"4 or so, but as height goes up from there they are severe downsides.

Son of Jamin likes this.
  14. LogicalInsanity

LogicalInsanity Gold Belt

I"m 6'2 . before coming to this country I had no idea "height" was such a critical issue with many women.

I feel sorry for short men.

(bro hug)

sniper and GearSolidMetal like this.
  15. grimballer

grimballer Silver Belt

Actually women love funny Manlets

I knew many short guys who used to be popular with girls cause they were funny.

Now if you’re Manlet n not funny you’re screwed

16. Kalmah

Kalmah Gold Belt

#ManletLivesMatter

17. Treeloy

Treeloy Banned Banned

If youre short you might be able to get by if youre 5"6-5"7 and thin.

5"7 / Thin you look normal but short

Its when youre short and stubby that you have problems

5"5 and under = nothing you can do

18. EL CORINTHIAN

EL CORINTHIAN Brown Belt

I'm 5'10

<{1-69}>

Midnighter likes this.
  19. Quipling

Quipling Red Belt

You wanna dance, shortstuff? Let's dance.

My understanding is fine; better evolved is a poor term because it implies an absolute goal rather than contextual superiority at dealing with a set of conditions. The only "winning" condition in evolution at the end of the day is spreading your genes: reproduction or kin-selection.

Size selection is not consistently downwards, and the pressures for it aren't that relevant to modern society. Not needing as many nutrients is largely advantageous in resource-scarce settings where starvation is a bigger impediment to reproduction than being a manlet. But if intra-species direct competition matters more? Being bigger is more important. In modern developed societies, food is plentiful and being tall makes you more desirable to reproductive partners. I guess you might have some comparative advantage in Somalia, though. Enjoy.

(Other common causes of size selection, are hunting pressures, temperature regulation, and more rapid reproductive cycles-there is a weak argument for the last two factors. But, again, not important pressures in modern societies).

weich likes this.
  20. Jopious Extronimous

Jopious Extronimous Purple Belt

It's not our fault, we just left the guide to being equals on top of the book shelf.

I'm kidding of course. Don't let anything ever stop you from reaching for great heights! Even when you can't find a step ladder!

Ok I'm done. Trying to keep my jokes short....

Quipling likes this.