Heavy lifting & Jiu Jitsu

Again, not everyone is ONLY looking to compete, some people care about self defense and how they look. Competition pays nothing and you have the rest of your life to consider.

Bigger and leaner is better, not only in terms of winning fights, but staying out of them. Bigger men get more respect and consideration from other men. When I was small I got bullied, I don't get bullied now.

There is also no weight division in BJJ class, absolute or the street for that matter.

I've been the 125lb emaciated powerlifter and the 240lb perma bulker huffing and puffing, neither was really ideal. 210 lbs walkaround weight is the sweet spot for me in terms of performance and looks.

But I maintain the leanness and strength of that physique by focusing on strength AND mass.

I'm not going to get much bigger without steroids but slowly improve body composition and strength.

Last edited:
Does anyone here lift heavy 2-3 times a week? I don't lift to compliment my game at all, I just want to get stronger. I suppose what I am asking is how do you guys deal with the soreness? Like If I do a big leg day, or have a heavy dead lifting session, my body is so damn sore, it makes rolling uncomfortable and stiff. Anyone else have this issue?

I lift heavy once a week, rep range 1-3, just deadlifts and squats, with the total reps always below 25 excluding warm up sets. I take my sweet time when doing this, so that it is almost purely strength as I don't want to gain weight. I need about 24-36 hours recovery from this before grappling, and even then I'm less mobile, but it's good in the long run.

Not so fast.

This workout was posted by a pro to the forum owned by pro in question, not Weider magazine. I was personally trained for a period of time by another pro.

Both of these approaches heavily emphasized building strength. Power lifters do the same exercises from time to time, it's called GPP. Perish the thought.

The Serge Nubret workout was posted on bodybuilding.com by Serge Nubret shortly before he died. He patiently answered everyone's questions and said he never used another routine.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=972997

The whole BB vs PL debate is dumb, both approaches have merit depending on genetics and goals in question.

If you are genetically super lean and have naturally high T you probably can just do 3x5 workouts and gain fast. Others will stagnate and get fat trying to keep the bar moving.

Ya bro, 2000 situps a day sounds like good advice too.

Steroids are one hell of a drug.

If you worked up to an hour straight of situps you'd still have no abs, this is what you believe. Or that it is impossible without steroids..

Doing an hour of situps with steroids is nearly impossible due to the muscle cramps. More of a hindrance than a help.

Serge at 65 years old.

sn115.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah dude, Serge is all natural. Lmfao

Doing an hour of situps with steroids is nearly impossible due to the muscle cramps. More of a hindrance than a help.

Then why did he do it?

Don't listen to the losers who post quotes by Marcelo about how the best way to get stronger for BJJ is by doing more BJJ. Nonsense. Marcelo is an extreme outlier and you can't base your views on him.

I've ran a hybrid 5/3/1 and PHUL (4 day Upper/Lower split) while actively doing MMA, MT, BJJ, etc. Of course, as I get deeper into the camp I end up dropping to the usual 5/3/1 + MMA 2 days.

I'm currently doing a 5/3/1 split in addition to BJJ. I used to do Starting Strength, but the programming was just too aggressive. I'd be so broken off when I rolled...I'd be getting tapped by white belts, haha.

Does anyone here lift heavy 2-3 times a week? I don't lift to compliment my game at all, I just want to get stronger. I suppose what I am asking is how do you guys deal with the soreness? Like If I do a big leg day, or have a heavy dead lifting session, my body is so damn sore, it makes rolling uncomfortable and stiff. Anyone else have this issue?

Supplement with BCAA, take contrast showers, and stretch the shit out of your muscles.

I'm currently doing a 5/3/1 split in addition to BJJ. I used to do Starting Strength, but the programming was just too aggressive. I'd be so broken off when I rolled...I'd be getting tapped by white belts, haha.

Yeah, after a bit I sort of got lazy. I would usually lift early at 6-7am, and train at night (6-9pm). After a bit I really didn't like going to bed at 11pm or midnight, and waking up at 5am. 1/3 through the last camp, I just lifted on the weekends and woke up at a regular time.

lifting strength is not the same as grappling strength. Just need to grapple more IMO. A guy like Karo parysian in his prime didn't look very strong, but everyone said he was strong as a chimpanzee, because he'd been grappling his whole life. Grapplng strength is more practical.

lifting strength is not the same as grappling strength. Just need to grapple more IMO. A guy like Karo parysian in his prime didn't look very strong, but everyone said he was strong as a chimpanzee, because he'd been grappling his whole life. Grapplng strength is more practical.
Wait...what? Strength helps. Don't argue that he needs to just only grapple. Adding strength training HELPS bjj if all else stays the same. I won't day go from 4 bjj sessions a week to 3 lifting and 1 bjj. But going from. 4 to 3 but adding 3 strength sessions WILL pay off and has for me.

Wait...what? Strength helps. Don't argue that he needs to just only grapple. Adding strength training HELPS bjj if all else stays the same. I won't day go from 4 bjj sessions a week to 3 lifting and 1 bjj. But going from. 4 to 3 but adding 3 strength sessions WILL pay off and has for me.

I remember you mentioning in another thread how much lifting has helped. What workout and schedule have you been doing?

Marcelo Garcia doesn't lift, he only does BJJ and he's known for being tremendously strong. I didn't say that strength doesn't help, I said that lifting strength isn't that practical for BJJ. Grappling strength is the very best thing for BJJ.

That's not a thing that exists. There's maximal strenght in a given rom, speed in a given ROM, Muscular endurance in that given ROM. There's no distinct "grappling strength". There's a set of general motor qualities, a set of specific muscle qualities, and skill.

Marcelo Garcia doesn't lift, he only does BJJ and he's known for being tremendously strong. I didn't say that strength doesn't help, I said that lifting strength isn't that practical for BJJ. Grappling strength is the very best thing for BJJ.

You don't need to lift to get strong, but lifting will sure as hell get you there much faster.

Back