Heavy Hands

Fortunately, you don't need to believe it. A bigger heavier hand will feel heavier, that's not a matter of belief. However, there are also other contributing factors. The stronger ones' hands the more abandon they can throw with. Thicker bones, better musculature, more grip strength, thicker wrists, more stability = a hand much less likely to break. When a fighter is aware of this, they'll swing with no concern.

Paul Malignaggi and Floyd Mayweather, while very accurate, don't have any of those characteristics and in real fights with smaller gloves, have been known to pull their punches due to being plagued by hand breaks.

But like I said, spend any significant time in the Gym and you'll notice commonalities between people. That "heavy-handed" people have bigger, stronger, thicker hands should seem perfectly sound and logical. I'm not sure why this subject seems so confounding.

I think that anyone with a good degree of sparring experience knows what you're talking about. There are different types of punchers and not all can be said to be heavy handed. I feel like a lot of the guys who fall into the other category of puncher, the sharp Tommy Hearns type to often deliver more painful, concussive shots when landing clean, but people who are truly heavy handed make you see stars from grazing shots and knock you around more.

I think that anyone with a good degree of sparring experience knows what you're talking about. There are different types of punchers and not all can be said to be heavy handed. I feel like a lot of the guys who fall into the other category of puncher, the sharp Tommy Hearns type to often deliver more painful, concussive shots when landing clean, but people who are truly heavy handed make you see stars from grazing shots and knock you around more.

Yes, sharp accurate punchers can do more damage due to their accuracy, and typically speed. My fighter Daijon has broken an orbital bone or two, and gotten KO's purely because of this. But he's not the most concussive puncher I've trained. His punches are more snappy and quick:

Whereas these are two skinny guys, I train the taller Southpaw and this kid is one of those kids who has hands the size of his head. But so does the smaller Russian fighter. Both of them are heavy-handed and not only can you hear the more thudding sounds (as opposed to cracking), but you can see the force in as you say, being knocked around. I often have to restrain my fighter in sparring because he wings his punches like wrecking balls and ends up going too hard on opponents (out of fear, not aggression), but gasses himself out doing it. This was by far one of his better-controlled rounds:

Back