Heavy Bag work after injury

Snolla

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Here's a video of me on the heavy bag first time in 5 months since I blew out my ankle off a take down. Was doing medium pacing and power shots here. The power shots I found is helping re-condition my left ankle to take the blows. I've had one kickboxing fight and I'm dying for another.

Any glaring rust or weaknesses here? I feel I'm a little stiff and flat footed, but I haven't had any bounce available for 5 months from the injury so I'm going to work on getting that back.

I'll try and get some sparring footage soon too.

Here's a video of me on the heavy bag first time in 5 months since I blew out my ankle off a take down. Was doing medium pacing and power shots here. The power shots I found is helping re-condition my left ankle to take the blows. I've had one kickboxing fight and I'm dying for another.

Any glaring rust or weaknesses here? I feel I'm a little stiff and flat footed, but I haven't had any bounce available for 5 months from the injury so I'm going to work on getting that back.

I'll try and get some sparring footage soon too.

Good right roundhouse kick. Keep it mid section. Nice power in some of the "arm punches" (good to have in Kickboxing especially). Hard to judge overall movement from the clip.

• Your body hooks are reaching rather than level changing. 1) you lose alot of power on that 2) you bring yourself into your opponent's range
  • Try to sell your pump jabs more, right now its very obvious its a bullshit strike. 1 tip is to throw strikes with a purpose in mind, picture it like finances, why throw strike for the sake of throwing a strike? So for setups, they have to serve as a setup so your main strike will land, if you pump half assed jabs that everyone knows is an obvious setup, they're not going to stick around for dinner. Now if your purpose is to make them backstep so you control the center, thats fine, but for what I said earlier, its not.
  • Maybe its the angle of the recording, but it looks like after a combo you bring your arms down to your chest, thats going to build a bad habit of say finishing 1,2,3,kick. Then your opponent smashes an overhand while he shelled up on your combo. You also alot of times have your head over your lead foot. Your balance is going to get messed up from this
  • Before every kick you throw, you pre-pivot. 1) alot of power is gone 2) its a tell. If you pre-pivot, its obvious it's going to be a kick, its not going to be anything else. Due to this, I or any other opponent will know and will immediately start to check. Worse case, they teep you and you fall.
  • I know its bagwork, but treat it like sparring as well, move around picture the bag being a tank of an opponent. I know there's not much to be done since you're recovering of an injury, there's no need to go full power as you're working on medium power, but move like you are fighting, given if you can.
  • Overall I'd prefer to see how you explode in movement, because thats a huge part of everything

• Your body hooks are reaching rather than level changing. 1) you lose alot of power on that 2) you bring yourself into your opponent's range
  • Try to sell your pump jabs more, right now its very obvious its a bullshit strike. 1 tip is to throw strikes with a purpose in mind, picture it like finances, why throw strike for the sake of throwing a strike? So for setups, they have to serve as a setup so your main strike will land, if you pump half assed jabs that everyone knows is an obvious setup, they're not going to stick around for dinner. Now if your purpose is to make them backstep so you control the center, thats fine, but for what I said earlier, its not.
  • Maybe its the angle of the recording, but it looks like after a combo you bring your arms down to your chest, thats going to build a bad habit of say finishing 1,2,3,kick. Then your opponent smashes an overhand while he shelled up on your combo. You also alot of times have your head over your lead foot. Your balance is going to get messed up from this
  • Before every kick you throw, you pre-pivot. 1) alot of power is gone 2) its a tell. If you pre-pivot, its obvious it's going to be a kick, its not going to be anything else. Due to this, I or any other opponent will know and will immediately start to check. Worse case, they teep you and you fall.
  • I know its bagwork, but treat it like sparring as well, move around picture the bag being a tank of an opponent. I know there's not much to be done since you're recovering of an injury, there's no need to go full power as you're working on medium power, but move like you are fighting, given if you can.
  • Overall I'd prefer to see how you explode in movement, because thats a huge part of everything

Thank you. I will keep all of this in mind.

Back