Heavy Bag advice

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Towel88, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Towel88 White Belt

Towel88
    Hey I'm looking to get a new heavy bag, pretty sure I'm going to get something around 80lbs, was wondering what you guys think about the type of fill that is best?

I know some have a water core, some have foam liners, and all kinds of other options...

Will be throwing kicks at it also

2. Woldog Boxer

Woldog
    I only use bags with cement cores and broken glass liners, with sand paper on the outside.

3. Kick_@ss_Seabass Blue Belt

Kick_@ss_Seabass
    For me, 100% ragg filled is the best there is.

Why 80lb and not 100lb ?

hangulmalmotayo likes this.
  4. Towel88 White Belt

Towel88
    Not sure how the wooden frame i hang it from would hold up and I like a little bit of movement from the bag, so I have to keep up with the footwork. My only experience other than the thai bags at my gym is with a 70lb bag, so figured 80 would be a little better and ill probably use the anchor on this one, so it still moves but not excessively

Kick_@ss_Seabass likes this.
  5. akatsukix White Belt

akatsukix
    You need to specify a bit better what your goals are.

1. Do you want it to move and swing? Can be good to train timing and footwork, but also can be a pain for other types of training.

2. You said kicks, but low kicks?

Not too mobile and low kicks? Get a muay thai bag which is long and tends to rest on the floor. Weight can be relatively light since it will drag on the ground.

Mobile and high kicks? A regular "boxing" heavy bag will do the trick. But now you may want more weight to reign it in a bit from swinging wildly.

As for brands?

KO Fightgear is solid and inexpensive. Outslayer has great reviews as well. Fairtex is always solid but pricier. All of them are rag fill. I think water cores are a gimmick personally.