HEAT Prequel (Michael Mann to Co-Write with Reed Farrel Coleman)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Michael Mann Developing HEAT Prequel for Book and Film Adaptation

Heat-De-Niro-Kilmer-031616-Dragonlord.png

Writer-director Michael Mann, long one of the most literate translators of words to the screen, has made a deal to launch Michael Mann Books. The imprint will generate a series of novels with a stable of writers and the properties will simultaneously be developed for film and television.

Mann will look through his own long list of credits for ideas, and a big piece of news here is that high on the priority list is a prequel novel dealing with the principal characters of Heat, Mann’s seminal crime thriller.

The prequel novel will cover the formative years of homicide detective Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino), Neil McCauley (Robert De Niro), Chris Shihirles (Val Kilmer), McCauley’s accomplice Nate (Jon Voight), and other characters so brilliantly layered in the 1995 film.

Mann based Heat on stories of a lot of real criminals and cops, and references to past experiences are peppered throughout the picture. It’s a bit of reverse engineering, since so many of Mann’s film and TV projects have come from literary properties.

Michael Mann Launches Book Imprint; ‘Heat’ Prequel Novel A Priority

Michael Mann is so good but has some duds lately, seems almost desperate for a hit. DiNiro and Pacino obviously won't be in it so it'll lose a lot of charisma... I'm expecting the usual big names these days like Christian Bale, Tom Hardy & Bradley Cooper to fill out the cast. Huge shoes to fill in those roles........

I'm not sure I like this, it can't match Heat. I think I'd be more jacked if it was an HBO thing and like 12 episodes or whatever like a True Detective season with maybe smaller actors tackling a big roll.

the first one had such a low volume soundtrack/score. The Blu Ray Shootout scene was a shame.

If they can't bring back any of the original cast members I won't take it seriously. I had only seen bits and pieces until I just recently got a chance to watch it from beggining to end. What a fucking great movie. Please don't give us some shitty summer popcorn flick.

Will this just be a book or will there be a movie?

I wonder who they will cast.

If they can't bring back any of the original cast members I won't take it seriously. I had only seen bits and pieces until I just recently got a chance to watch it from beggining to end. What a fucking great movie. Please don't give us some shitty summer popcorn flick.

Jon Voight as the narrator or guy looking back might work. He always seemed to be just a little above and distanced from what was happening for the rest of the characters.

Someone just needs to remake last of the Mohicans.... *sarcasm*

No it was pretty good.
I disagree good sir.

it asked me to suspend a ton of belief.

I can't believe the same guy made heat .

two mega hackers knife fighting was a wtf moment in a film filled with wtf moments.

rotten tomatoes also gave it a 34%

I disagree good sir.

it asked me to suspend a ton of belief.

I can't believe the same guy made heat .

two mega hackers knife fighting was a wtf moment in a film filled with wtf moments.

rotten tomatoes also gave it a 34%

It was terrible, I think a lot more could have been done to improve it, it seemed rush.

Every Michael Mann geek in the SMD enjoyed it. It's precisely because it was so obvious the same guy who made Heat made Blackhat that I'm not worried.

It was the most Heat/Collateral aesthetic that he's shown since. It had some flaws, but i think the carryover from the Heat storyline could alleviate those issues.

I'm not saying it might be as good as Heat, but neither is any other movie.

I was underwhelmed by Blackhat. Thought Chris Hemsworth was miscast as the hacker. I nodded off in the middle and woke up when Chris & company were gunned down by the bad guys. I remember my reaction to the ridiculous ending, "That's it? That's his master plan?"

Michael Mann's last great movie is Collateral. And it is still one of my favourite of his.

This thread has reminded how downhill Val Kilmer life and career have gone.

ynxQVrh.png

Mann.

Put the camera down slowly and step away from your legacy.

Update: April 27, 2017

Michael Mann Finds His Co-Writer in Reed Farrel Coleman for HEAT Prequel Novel

Heat-Michael-Mann-Pacino-De-Niro-Dragonlord.png

After a long manhunt that involved months of interviews with substantial authors, Michael Mann has found his co-writer for the prequel novel to Mann’s landmark crime film Heat.

Writing with Mann will be Reed Farrel Coleman, the four-time Edgar Award-nominated author who is up for the award tonight for his 2016 novel Where It Hurts, part of mystery series that revolves around the retired Suffolk County cop Gus Murphy.

Coleman will collaborate with Mann to tell an origin story involving the characters that populated the Al Pacino-Robert De Niro-led ensemble drama that Mann scripted, directed and produced. The novel will be published next year under the Michael Mann imprint at William Morrow/HarperCollins.

Mann was a fan of Coleman’s Gus Murphy novels, but the author also has hit the NYT bestseller lists three times since taking over the Jesse Stone mystery series after Robert B Parker passed away.

Mann separately has a non-fiction book near completion that he is keeping under wraps for now. Heat recently celebrated its 20th anniversary, and on May 9 Fox releases the Director’s Definitive Edition of the movie on Blu-Ray and DVD.

Michael Mann Sets Bestselling Author Reed Farrel Coleman To Co-Write ‘Heat’ Prequel Novel

This will probably just end up being a novel, I doubt he'll make the actual film for some reason

I have an idea for a HEAT sequel, I want to meet him and pitch it to him, but it would probably be like Stan trying to meet Eminem

Back