Heart rate dropping slower

ACzeMiky

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, I don't get it. How is it possible that my heart rate is dropping slower after sprints for example than guys who train less than me? I train 3-4 times a week boxing specific trainings in my gym plus 4 times running. In those 4 running sessions, I do two times a week 25 minutes on treadmill on 12km/h and last 5 minutes I switch it up on 14km/h and 16km/h. Then once a week a do 4x3 minutes sprints on treadmill on 16km/h with 1 minute rest between each ( before that I run 5 minutes as a warm up on 10km/h ) and once a week I do 5x100m sprints, 5x 80m sprints, 5x 60m sprints (resting when jogging back to the start and then sprint aggain).

There is this guy in our gym who is training only in the gym with us (that means 3-4 times a week). He is not running at all, only when we are running on training. He does nothing in his free time as that "extra conditioning". And when he is doing those 4x3 minutes sprints, his heart rate drops way faster than mine in the resting period... I just don't get it. He is known for being lazy and his partying among the whole boxing league, yet his heart rate is better than mine... I go on a party only like once in a month when I have right after my fight, not before fights. And I usually don't even drink that much. Anyone with an idea how is it possible?

Last edited:
Because most of us have a different resting heart rate.
Mine is generally 65 and I'm 47.

To get it up to a hundred, I have to run a mile hard. And it won't stay up.

I know this. I have resting heart rate 54, lower than his. But when we do the sprints, his heart rate drops faster, like from 185 to 155 while mine from 195 to 170 (those are the last sprints when we are already most tired)... Which is quite bad when I consider how much I train. I had a cold about 2 weeks ago for like 3 days, but I don't beleave this can affect you so much...

1) Genetics

2) You're only doing HIT or moderate intensity stuff it seems, which stimulates the sympathetic nervous system and could be decreasing recovery over time

3) You could be overtrained/overstimulated

4) Genetics

Advice:
Eat healthy, cut down on alcohol and don't smoke if you do
Improve rest and try to relax more
Do 1 sprint day instead of 2
Replace 2x 25 min at 12km/t with 2x45 min at 8-9km/t (or what gets you within the 120-140bpm range)

Deload for a week, then try that for a month or two instead and see if it improves. You can always add a sprinting day in again.

When it comes to comparing youself to him, it's not really helpful at all. You can't compare yourself to others, only to yourself. Like you say, resting heart rate is one of the metrics, and there you have him beat, but in the end it doesn't matter.

Economy in what you are doing is the most important thing anyway. Well obviously cardio, VO2max, recovery and so forth are very important, but without economy you'll gas either way.

Also these numbers are not the end all, be all. Your max heart rate is probably higher than his, which can be a good thing. It's all relative. The most important thing is how you feel, and perform.

Last edited:
Interesting, my heart rate is at 53 resting, when running for a mile under 8 minutes usually (not too fast) my heart rate goes up to almost 145, then drops pretty quick as i rest for a minute or two. I am 31yrs old very active for last 14 years (Muay Thai and Soccer, little weight lifting, 175 lbs).

Thanks Sano. You think longer distance running with slower pace would be better than moderate running on faster pace? In 120-140bpm I get barely tired... Usually when I switch it and run 8-10km distance I run it in range like 10.5-12km/h (obviously slowing down to the end) usually having heart rate at the end about 175-185. Wouldn't range 120-140 be too low when training for amateur boxing match?

Thanks Sano. You think longer distance running with slower pace would be better than moderate running on faster pace? In 120-140bpm I get barely tired... Usually when I switch it and run 8-10km distance I run it in range like 10.5-12km/h (obviously slowing down to the end) usually having heart rate at the end about 175-185. Wouldn't range 120-140 be too low when training for amateur boxing match?
Sure, if it was the only thing you did. When you add in the boxing training 3-4 times a week (which is probably a good deal of high intesity as well) and the sprints once or twice a week, that's not the case. The gist of it is that you want to increase your recovery capacity with these slower runs, not your ability to produce power or force.

Doesn't matter if you don't feel tired. If you usually end with a heart rate of 175-185 after a steady state run (without sprinting at the end that is), that just tells me that you like going fast all the time. That's a good trait for powering through, being explosive and digging in. Less so for recovery.

The challenge for you will probably be the opposite of many others. You'll have a hard time running that duration with a 120-140 bpm without getting bored out of your mind, if you're used to going all out all the time. With that said, that range is the range you'd want to try to be at for recovery capacity.

Are you generally impatient and wired?

Try it for a 6 weeks or so . You don't have to change anything else, other than replacing the two 25 min runs with 45-60 min runs at 120-140 bpm. Stick to it, try to relax and see what happens.

Do you have a fight coming up?

Sure, if it was the only thing you did. When you add in the boxing training 3-4 times a week (which is probably a good deal of high intesity as well) and the sprints once or twice a week, that's not the case. The gist of it is that you want to increase your recovery capacity with these slower runs, not your ability to produce power or force.

Doesn't matter if you don't feel tired. If you usually end with a heart rate of 175-185 after a steady state run (without sprinting at the end that is), that just tells me that you like going fast all the time. That's a good trait for powering through, being explosive and digging in. Less so for recovery.

The challenge for you will probably be the opposite of many others. You'll have a hard time running that duration with a 120-140 bpm without getting bored out of your mind, if you're used to going all out all the time. With that said, that range is the range you'd want to try to be at for recovery capacity.

Are you generally impatient and wired?

Try it for a 6 weeks or so . You don't have to change anything else, other than replacing the two 25 min runs with 45-60 min runs at 120-140 bpm. Stick to it, try to relax and see what happens.

Do you have a fight coming up?
Thanks man! I've never tried this yet, so I'll definitely give it a go.

Yes, that's exactly me. Usually I try to always run the fastest time and push. When running longer distance like 10km for example, then I sometimes run maybe too fast especially at the beginning so at about 6th km I feel like my legs (especially calves) are about to explode, but I always run through it, since I would be mad at myself that I didn't make it.

Yeah next saturday, 4th of november.

Thanks man! I've never tried this yet, so I'll definitely give it a go.

Yes, that's exactly me. Usually I try to always run the fastest time and push. When running longer distance like 10km for example, then I sometimes run maybe too fast especially at the beginning so at about 6th km I feel like my legs (especially calves) are about to explode, but I always run through it, since I would be mad at myself that I didn't make it.

Yeah next saturday, 4th of november.
Yeah I figured as much! I used to be like that as well.

Ah okay, cool! Good luck with your fight! Just do what you usually do, and then after the fight when you get back into training you can try this change and see how it works for you.

Again, I know it's going to be tedious. Intensity is great, and something you definitely need for fighting, but it's one metric. Duration can be another, economy a third. You don't have to go all out, all the time. It's excellent that you can do that when it's needed though!

Don't think about the longer sessions as something that has to hurt, think about it as improving your economy. If you are bored, then use the time to improve your running technique, be smooth, efficient, get a steady cadence going and zone out a little. That's the goal of the session, to improve recovery capacity and economy. Don't do any high intensity stuff that same session. You can do some stretching or mobility work after.

130-150bpm is also fair. Start with 40 mins, work up to 60 min. During your next fight prep you can up the intensity a little early in camp before tapering down, but let's just consider this base building for now.

Yeah I figured as much! I used to be like that as well.

Ah okay, cool! Good luck with your fight! Just do what you usually do, and then after the fight when you get back into training you can try this change and see how it works for you.

Again, I know it's going to be tedious. Intensity is great, and something you definitely need for fighting, but it's one metric. Duration can be another, economy a third. You don't have to go all out, all the time. It's excellent that you can do that when it's needed though!

Don't think about the longer sessions as something that has to hurt, think about it as improving your economy. If you are bored, then use the time to improve your running technique, be smooth, efficient, get a steady cadence going and zone out a little. That's the goal of the session, to improve recovery capacity and economy. Don't do any high intensity stuff that same session. You can do some stretching or mobility work after.

130-150bpm is also fair. Start with 40 mins, work up to 60 min. During your next fight prep you can up the intensity a little early in camp before tapering down, but let's just consider this base building for now.
Thanks a lot man! I'm looking forward to try this new stuff! It will be an interesting change to incorporate an easy pace.

This is an off topic question, but just out of curiosity. Always when I have 2 trainings in one day, like today for example, the second training I get tired way less and I am barely out of breath compared to the first training in the morning. Do you know why is that so? Legs endurance for example was obviously worse the second training after yesterday's interval running and morning session, but my breathing has really improved! We did some interval punch outs on heavy bags to the end of the session and my breathing was back to normal after a very short time (we did 6x30 seconds non stop punch outs with 30 seconds breaks). Also the punches felt way more relaxed the second training.

i know resting heart rate is correlated with better physical conditioning and a more powerful ability of the heart to distribute oxygen to the body.

but what you're talking about is heart rate shortly after strenuous physical activity. is this correlated with better physical conditioning? im not sure if it is.

either way, id say dont worry so much about those numbers..

you have much more direct data to look at, if you really care, in your own improvement in sprint times.

i know resting heart rate is correlated with better physical conditioning and a more powerful ability of the heart to distribute oxygen to the body.

but what you're talking about is heart rate shortly after strenuous physical activity. is this correlated with better physical conditioning? im not sure if it is.

either way, id say dont worry so much about those numbers..

you have much more direct data to look at, if you really care, in your own improvement in sprint times.
Resting heart rate is one metric, how fast your heart rate comes down is another, VO2max is another but there are several other factors not as easily measured. All can be trained, but genetics still plays a part.

Sprint time improvements, while a good thing, doesn't tell you anything about your overall aerobic capacity.

I do agree that numbers are not everything though, and are sometimes overstated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back