Hearn: Cotto-Brook Does Big Business in UK, Cotto Don't Want It!

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook (36-1, 25 KO’s) is in a precarious situation. With a purse bid looming on Tuesday for his mandatory defense against challenger Errol Spence (21-0, 18 KO’s), Brook might be too big for 147 - but he doesn't want give up his world title.

Brook’s Promoter, Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport, says he will do what his fighter wants him to do - but Hearn would prefer to see Brook to move up to 154 pounds. “I look at where would Kell be at his best and that's 154 lbs,” Hearn told BoxingScene.com. “But he doesn’t want to vacate his belt.” - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-co...uk-cotto-want-it--113234#sthash.ylzNGm18.dpuf

“I want Kell to move to 154-pounds, but he doesn’t want to because he doesn't want to vacate the titles,” stated the promoter. “You move up to 154 but who do you fight? We would love the Cotto fight - but he doesn't want that. I know Kell is a much better fighter at 154 than 147.”

Cotto demands a high guarantee which means most of Cotto’s fights either end up on pay-per-view - either because of his asking price or because the fight in question is big business. Hearn strongly feels Cotto vs. Brook is very big business, especially in the United Kingdom.

“I think it’d be an excellent fight and I could even look to bring that fight to the UK but does Cotto want to fight Brook?” asked Hearn, “I don’t believe he does. I tried to make that fight before. Peter Nelson of HBO was on board but when we went to Roc Nation - they wanted no parts of it.” For the latter part of his career, Cotto has always been about securing the biggest and most financially lucrative fight possible - and if it’s not a rematch with Canelo Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KO’s), Hearn feels Brook is the answer.

“I think it's a situation where Cotto wants the biggest fight and Cotto is the perfect fight for Kell Brook and it's a tough fight, a 50-50 fight," Hearn said. - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-co...uk-cotto-want-it--113234#sthash.ylzNGm18.dpuf

Meh. Who needs to see that shit? Cotto has been in too many wars. He's only interested in capitalizing on his fame in winnable fights at this point.

If Cotto doesn't want to be a stepping stone, I'm OK with that. He's not taking fights that are leaving others out in the cold. People weren't lining up to fight Kirkland.

Cotto still looked like a top level boxer in his last couple of fights but maybe it's not worth taking any risks if he is almost done his career.

It would be a good fight. I think it would seal Brook's legacy as an elite because I think he'd take Cotto in this fight.

It would be a good fight. I think it would seal Brook's legacy as an elite because I think he'd take Cotto in this fight.
Or he could simply fight his mandatory like he had no problems doing the other two times they came up.

Cotto would beat him.

Cotto still tools Brook. If Brook really wants to make a name for himself, he needs to beat Spence, take out Khan (which I'm not sure he'd beat them both), then go to 154 and beat Lara....If he did that there'd be no arguments to his status as a p4p'er

Or he could simply fight his mandatory like he had no problems doing the other two times they came up.
I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Spence but Cotto is the bigger name and he's not going to be around for that much longer. Business wise it makes sense.

This pathetic Brook doesn't want to fight at 147, but still keep his title? <{Messi3}>
He is ducking Spence, begging Khan for a payday, and now he wants Cotto? Well, Cotto don't want to fight a nobody... that's the excuse Brook gave for not taking Spence innit?

Cotto has earned every right to fight who he wants. No one can accuse him of ducking. I echo a previous post that the guy has been in way too many wars and deserves to go out on his own terms.

i think spence is a much more dangerous fight than cotto for far less money

errol could ruin kell or anyone for that matter at 147. he is a little wide with his punches but some of his four and five punch combinations have some terry norris in them

Cotto is embarking on a farewell tour and that means fighting big names and Brook isnt big enough

I dont know who Brook and Hearn think they are, Brook gets his first big win, jumps two weight divisions to fight GGG only to get killed, and now think they earned the right to price themselves out and call out names

i think spence is a much more dangerous fight than cotto for far less money

errol could ruin kell or anyone for that matter at 147. he is a little wide with his punches but some of his four and five punch combinations have some terry norris in them

If Errol is that good, then he deserves his shot. The best should be champion.

This Conor McBrook needs to stop screwing over this prospect whose earned his shot.

Brook should fight Spence or vacate the belt. But if he does move up, it's not a bad fight from Cotto's perspective. Probably the best risk/reward ratio for a fighter at 154. He's closer in size to Brook than Lara, the Charlos, etc. but he's a big name in the UK so it's a good pay day.

Cotto doesnt need someone to offer him a pay day.

Cotto could fight a three legged horse for 36 minutes and I'd be okay with it. I wouldn't pay for it though.

He's got nothing left to prove. He's beat better more accomplished fighters than Brook in his career.

Back