Headgear for contact wearers

mocimad3

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello, I've been having issues keeping my contacts in during muay thai sparring. It's worse during the winter season where the dry air dries out my eyes + not blinking a lot. I have very bad vision and need contacts or I won't be able to spar.

Sparred with a newer guy and he got nervous and started flailing punches at my head and a contact went flying out. So I tried to tell him I needed to stop and he ended knocking me out for a split second. That's a seperate issue in itself but my point is I am looking for a headgear that will stop a glove from touching my eyes completely.

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Especially from personal experience because I know a lot of people have vision problems and hoping for suggestions that don't limit ability to see kicks and peripheral vision.

You probably need a face shield type of headgear.

Manny Pac uses a nice thick piece of headgear that doesn't allow punches to get in.

Also, tell your sparring partner he's a goof.

Follow your sparring partner home at night and then sneak in and poke him in the eyes as he sleeps.

is the doubling up on the threads supposed to signify your double vision? A metaphor, perhaps?

I stopped wearing contacts during sparring. I'll wear glasses to class, do all the pads and stuff with them on, and then just take them off when I spar. I'm blind as a bat without them, but it doesn't affect me much once I get started.

no, just carry extra contacts with you. and make sure you replace them often or they get harder and get knocked out. i use monthlys, and i ususally use them more than a month, and if they get old they usually pop out anyway lol also getting really good soft contacts usually they dont pop out the better quality they are.

learning head movement and slipping with punches is going to do way better than getting those nosebar headgear. that stuff is also kinda lame because it obstructs your vision and gives you a false sense of security ("hey ill just take punches straight on to the face bc i have something blocking them"). pros and heavyweights use them bc they get punched 100s of times on a daily basis, hard.

also, give the guy some time to stop his combo, step away when you need a break, put up your guard, and verbally say stop. maybe he pulled a de randamie. i wouldnt fault him for it :p

no, just carry extra contacts with you. and make sure you replace them often or they get harder and get knocked out. i use monthlys, and i ususally use them more than a month, and if they get old they usually pop out anyway lol also getting really good soft contacts usually they dont pop out the better quality they are.

learning head movement and slipping with punches is going to do way better than getting those nosebar headgear. that stuff is also kinda lame because it obstructs your vision and gives you a false sense of security ("hey ill just take punches straight on to the face bc i have something blocking them"). pros and heavyweights use them bc they get punched 100s of times on a daily basis, hard.

also, give the guy some time to stop his combo, step away when you need a break, put up your guard, and verbally say stop. maybe he pulled a de randamie. i wouldnt fault him for it :p

Good advice. I have daily contacts and just recently bought contact eyedrops. So I'll just bring what I need. I tend to have the most problems with young or small fast guys. Especially when they are new and only try to hit you in the head (it's muay thai not boxing).

Since the incident I've had a few conversations with the guy and he has no idea what he is doing due to being new... so essentially he shouldn't have been sparring. Basically doesn't even know how to do a roundhouse kick while keeping his balance. So he was just wildly swinging at my head (no combos) just wild punches, I see it as half my fault since I should have been prepared for it.

Back