HBO's WATCHMEN TV Series

Honestly, it seemed like a hell of a lot more than that to me.

I never read the comics, but remember, the goal is to make the best movie possible. They base the story on a comic but have no responsibility to be faithful to it. It's a different medium, and a different approach is often the best bet.

I loved the film and can't wait for the show.

There were a lot of things off or excluded, but Nite Owl and Ozymandias missed the point of the source material by a far mark.

As for making the best movie, best is subjective. It seemed like Snyder certainly made the movie he wanted given his other comic book adaptions.

You hit the nail on the head. The trick will be to not get greedy. Even restricting themselves exclusively to the book they'll have enough material for a solid two seasons, possibly three if they skip nothing. But yes, stay away from the "Before" crap.

Three seasons?

I don't think so. If all they're doing is the source material, it should just be a one off, 12 episode mini-series. One chapter per episode. I think they could even trim that down, and still flesh it all out properly. If it gets too long, they are going to have to do some serious ad-libbing, and it won't even resemble Watchmen. It's a relatively short series of comics. I don't really know how you flesh it out too much further than what Snyder did, and that was just shy of four hours with the ultimate cut.

If there's no sex scene set to Hallelujah, we riot.

Update: September 19, 2017

Damon Lindelof Begins Production on WATCHMEN Series for HBO

After months of rumor, speculation, and debunking, it seems as though we’ll once again be able to watch The Watchmen.

A new photo posted to writer and producer Damon Lindelof’s Instagram page indicate that pre-production has begun on HBO’s adaptation of the seminal comic book by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

The picture features a closeup shot of the statue the first Nite-Owl received when he retired from the superhero life. The image was infamously used on the cover of Watchmen #8, with the issue featuring the character being beaten to death with the statue.

Damon Lindelof Begins Work on His ‘Watchmen’ TV Show For HBO

Nice

color me intrigued. That said, i also have a tendency to not be particularly fond of Snyder lately, so i'll curb my expectations and be pleasently surprised if the show exceeds them

color me intrigued. That said, i also have a tendency to not be particularly fond of Snyder lately, so i'll curb my expectations and be pleasently surprised if the show exceeds them

Snyder isn't involved.

As a comics fan, this is the kind of treatment Watchmen always deserved. Apart from Rorschach and Comedian they shouldn't have any trouble bettering the casting, but what I'm really excited for is the period 80s setting (has this been confirmed?) Nobody does place and time like HBO.

As a comics fan, this is the kind of treatment Watchmen always deserved. Apart from Rorschach and Comedian they shouldn't have any trouble bettering the casting, but what I'm really excited for is the period 80s setting (has this been confirmed?) Nobody does place and time like HBO.

I think The Comedian will be the easiest of the strong characters from the movie to replace and put a different spin on. Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan are going to be tall tasks though. They were perfect, and I don't think there is very much room for different interpretations. The movie absolutely nailed them.

Ugh, I guess this is good in that people who haven't made money off of Watchmen will have the chance to make money off of it. Boy, those Lost guys finished up the show and said "Hooray, we never have to create anything original again!"

A Fingermen version of Cops?:)
Fingermen is such a vulgar term, especially for Gestapo-esque cops.

I love it so much.

I think VENDETTA would work perfectly as a low-key procedural that might almost be run-of-the-mill for most episodes, creating personal dramas by fine-tuning the characters and giving them more space to breathe. Then pulling out the stops during the V-centric episodes that would provide the icing. I feel like BBC's quality often replicates Thatcher-era aesthetics.

Since the channels prefer the mini-series format, I envision if a miniseries ran for six or eight episodes, maybe two would be really flashy, in order to maintain reasonable budget. This way V wouldn't have to appear every episode, but he'd still create a looming presence that services the character a bit better, since he's supposed to be more of a cultural zeitgeist than any one individual.

If I had my way, VENDETTA would veer between HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET/LUTHER and the first season of TRUE DETECTIVE, which was inspired by Moore.

Great comic, movie and good casting. Spot on for going with HBO over netflix. Hbo will give them a better quality series imo...

Update: September 20, 2017

Damon Lindelof's WATCHMEN Gets Official Pilot Order from HBO

Ze73Wxz.jpg

HBO is moving forward with Watchmen. The premium cable network has officially handed out a pilot order and commissioned additional scripts for Damon Lindelof's take on Alan Moore's beloved graphic novel.

The news comes three months after The Hollywood Reporter broke that the Leftovers showrunner was developing a take on the DC Comics favorite. Lindelof also revealed on Instagram that the writers room for the potential TV series has officially been opened.

Lindelof originally read the comics as a kid in the 1980s and has said that the series continues to influence his work. "From the flashbacks to the nonlinear storytelling to the deeply flawed heroes, these are all elements that I try to put into everything I write," he told Comic Book Resources in 2009 ahead of the feature-film take.

Lindelof has read Watchmen multiple times and, at the time, praised director Zack Snyder's film. "It's the most married-to-the-original-text version of Watchmen that could've been made," he told the Observer. "I want to keep it sort of insular," Lindelof said, referring to the multiple translations that have come from trying to translate the source material. "It's OK with me if people don't understand it because they don't deserve to understand it."

Snyder, who directed the feature-film adaptation of Moore's comic series, is no longer attached to the drama project from Warner Bros. Television, where both DC Entertainment and Lindelof are housed.

First published in 1986 and collected in 1987, Watchmen was created by Moore, artist Dave Gibbons and colorist John Higgins. The series was named one of the 100 best novels by Time magazine. Rumors of HBO tackling Watchmen first surfaced in 2015, when the pay cabler noted it was in preliminary discussions for a TV take on the property.

Snyder, who was briefly attached to the HBO project in 2015, adapted the comic and brought the title's "Minutemen" crime fighters to the big screen in 2009 with Jackie Earle Haley, Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Carla Gugino, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Patrick Wilson starring. The film, produced by Warner Bros. with a $130 million production budget, grossed a disappointing $107.5 million domestically and $185.3 million worldwide.

For Lindelof, Watchmen would arrive after The Leftovers, based on the book of the same name, recently wrapped its three-season run on HBO. The Lost alum is repped by CAA and Myman Greenspan.

'Watchmen' Moving Forward at HBO With Pilot Order

Seems like Lindelof is a much better TV writer than film writer. I'm not really a big fan of the comic (groundbraking stuff for sure, but...meh, I just didn't connect with it and hated the space-squid) but I'm still interested to see how this turns out. I doubt that they'll be able to top Jackie Earle Haley's performance.

This is what they should have done in the first place. Sandman too. At least they did it with Preacher.

HBO needs something big.. GOT has a handful of episodes left.

And I bet Westworld season 2 will be a surprise in the ratings in a bad bad way.

HBO needs something big.. GOT has a handful of episodes left.

And I bet Westworld season 2 will be a surprise in the ratings in a bad bad way.

You think so? The first season was the most watched first season of any HBO series.

You think so? The first season was the most watched first season of any HBO series.

The hype was on, they did great in the start but I feel people aren't talking about it, aren't hyped about it.. yea great acting, yea great production quality, great cast etc all of it is of high value like you would expect from a big budget production from HBO but I feel season 2 won't go up in ratings like all good, long running shows should develop. I feel they at first stay the same then slowly go down and down they will really think with season 3 and if they make it they will change the budget.

So far they have 1 more big bang with GOT then they think a spin off will do good so they aren't stressing for now but they lack a strong flagship show that can be done for multiple seasons, we shall see but my hype isn't as big as it should be.. it slowly went down with each episode and by the end of it I was kinda over it.

Back