HBO's Real Sports "Youth Sports Inc"

I am sorry that I didn't add cliffs, but here it goes:

- Youth Sports Tourism is now a $15B industry.

- Towns that no longer host the original industry that helped them grow (agriculture, factories, etc.) are now building youth sports megaplexes..and are certainly growing their economy.

- The parents that were highlighted in the piece estimate they spent $15,000 per year on the travel schedule for their 13 year old kids.

- Piece hinted that the culture is now "If you don't do this for your kid, (s)he will be left behind. Therefore, see this as an investment in cutting costs for your child's college education (i.e. scholarships)

I am sorry that I didn't add cliffs, but here it goes:

- Youth Sports Tourism is now a $15B industry.

- Towns that no longer host the original industry that helped them grow (agriculture, factories, etc.) are now building youth sports megaplexes..and are certainly growing their economy.

- The parents that were highlighted in the piece estimate they spent $15,000 per year on the travel schedule for their 13 year old kids.

- Piece hinted that the culture is now "If you don't do this for your kid, (s)he will be left behind. Therefore, see this as an investment in cutting costs for your child's college education (i.e. scholarships)

I didn't watch but will. THanks for posting the cliffs. I find this to be a ridiculous trend. We have friends who live for hockey and baseball. They are traveling or FULLY committed 40weeks a year.

Here's the news, your kids will not be left behind.

It's pretty sad when parents live behind the dreams their kids will go to the olympics or get a college scholarship. You kind of set your kids up for failure. If you kids is really a stud athlete then they prolly won't need all the extra training/coaching as long as they are dedicated. I have coached youth sports for 13 years and have seen all types of parents.

Thanks need to watch this...(father of a premier league girls soccer player here)

Travel hockey dad here. I relate to so much of that video only I roll my eyes at the mildly pejorative tone. This lifestyle involves extreme commitment and self-sacrifice - both from the parents and the kids. Even if athletics aren't the child's future, these are still extraordinarily positive and beneficial traits they are developing. And as a parent, what the hell else are you living for if not for your children.

Travel hockey dad here. I relate to so much of that video only I roll my eyes at the mildly pejorative tone. This lifestyle involves extreme commitment and self-sacrifice - both from the parents and the kids. Even if athletics aren't the child's future, these are still extraordinarily positive and beneficial traits they are developing. And as a parent, what the hell else are you living for if not for your children.

As long as your kid is having fun out there and at least doing a little cross training each week to avoid injury, it's all good imo.

What disgusts me more is some of the non-parent adults involved in the leagues who make money off these kids.

About a decade ago, my sister couldn't get out of work and asked me if I could pick up her 12 year old kid from a day hockey camp. I obliged.

As soon as I entered the arena, some dad bee lined right to me. This guy literally sized me up while I stood along side the boards.

"Hockey Dad" approached me and started telling me his kid's hockey resume "team captain of the East Awesomeface region, was recently on a travel team that played in the Czech Republic, etc."

I told him that I don't have any kids. I'm just there picking up my nephew. I don't follow hockey and I live overseas in a country where if you play "hockey" it's assumed you play it on a field. I'm just visiting family while on summer break.

He walked away.

It was odd.

Last edited:
As long as your kid is having fun out there and at least doing a little cross training each week to avoid injury, it's all good imo.

You bring up a good point.

Most of the kids that I coach (wrestling) still participate in other sports (or activities) during other parts of the year. A few of our more serious wrestlers train in BJJ or Judo in the off season. The sports are enough alike to keep the kids grounded in the fundamentals. Plus, they don't get burnt out....or injured due to over-usage of the same muscles.

Last week I had a conversation with my neighbor. He is convinced that to help his kid become a better baseball player, he wants him to play baseball year-round. He asked what his kid should do once the baseball season is over. I suggested that to improve on his baseball, the kid could try lacrosse. After all, the ball is smaller, the catching area is a bit smaller...so...in theory...it could improve his baseball in the long run.

But, hey. I'm not a baseball coach, so I'm not sure if that was good advice.

Hockey is turning into Tennis. Without uber-committed parents, you can't become an NHLer.

We have some friends back in Canada who are on this monkey circuit of driving/traveling 35-40weeks a year. I cannot understand how they manage to work or do anything else. Have friends that are a "tennis family". They are moving the entire family for the benefit of one of their kid's careers (kid is 13 or 14?).

I grew up in organized sports exclusively from age 5. From the age of 13 I did everything on my own and wouldn't want it any other way because the results speak for themselves. I got to experience every aspect of my ultimate chosen sport (including the horrible parts:money, cheating, drugs, politics ...).

My wife was a competitive rower so we both had lifelong accomplished sporting lives but chose to get our kids into largely outdoor adventure sports or non-competitive activities (hiking, rock climbing, skiing and dance).

Not having our kids in organized sports is likely for my mental health so I don't have to be around hockey dads and soccer moms.

I'll stay out of the rest of this thread for fear of insulting people.

Hockey is turning into Tennis. Without uber-committed parents, you can't become an NHLer.

We have some friends back in Canada who are on this monkey circuit of driving/traveling 35-40weeks a year. I cannot understand how they manage to work or do anything else. Have friends that are a "tennis family". They are moving the entire family for the benefit of one of their kid's careers (kid is 13 or 14?).

https://www.si.com/vault/2006/07/31/8382754/the-parent-trap

Ya, we know a few people like this. They only socialize with other hockey parents. They are absolutely bonkers. There kids have never been anywhere other than for hockey tournaments.

Just to be clear, I think hockey is one of the greatest sports. I used build a rink in the backyard and we had as much fun playing family hockey in the backyard as anything I've ever done in my life. Traveling 40wks a year? Fuck that.

TRD family hockey:

-TfLcPp3rwzFsxitYe37XdV1aMhRZF3Y5fF5lI-YyhH8NmFEyk9AQ0QWO5Bh3KFHv5wiAL5i7xifM5ZK6_FOyCo_aCowvFuW04qLc5rBPVoMl-1JpPL21Fd9O9Lx6Yi5oIQUz-2f3VAgPVkjhhbTOXu2Hyh3HEnxOndESxDWrWKuqFRGqjbIHzETfHSVZSi_DgqjnRmS4vaZFWg6Wc1dDF9T2TElLy9OR0F2Io2H_4bfrAxuLScmtvHMhFT6H7l9H6dqYqsxGcAI4QTJxIDdbeMkATiu2oogOgnFDy7IDVD0cRBgk8B99B8ScPrhlHALqss9TyAKVmKV8USQK9N02dQlUnGIvNfVawlWRpJ47Y41VQ4R8lfC0UUvyg9W-JszD309SzQ5uo6bLqvzCtZ0Yp6ITr9K68zdoo0x6k3Db5rpc6QIayid4Egg6134szLc8Ienpc3zA1m3Cl8YgtsNiYCkD6PvSblEtuotcOsar0q9RQNZSXADSO-TQb1stcGwlCAd1IghNPlV5TMRasE5x_BypVoDLLFQwP0X1grPLm67PhlcAXoJ0ZMb_QBKUlU7x-463oE61DtHT437cyK02SItf_R3uAcnmJ5o_TlRbiEcAJu6CflKNzr6Om2bg38iiCnIULVZrtfR91712plktccOVWQ33qT6=w800-h600-no

Ya, we know a few people like this. They only socialize with other hockey parents. They are absolutely bonkers. There kids have never been anywhere other than for hockey tournaments.

Just to be clear, I think hockey is one of the greatest sports. I used build a rink in the backyard and we had as much fun playing family hockey in the backyard as anything I've ever done in my life. Traveling 40wks a year? Fuck that.

TRD family hockey:

-TfLcPp3rwzFsxitYe37XdV1aMhRZF3Y5fF5lI-YyhH8NmFEyk9AQ0QWO5Bh3KFHv5wiAL5i7xifM5ZK6_FOyCo_aCowvFuW04qLc5rBPVoMl-1JpPL21Fd9O9Lx6Yi5oIQUz-2f3VAgPVkjhhbTOXu2Hyh3HEnxOndESxDWrWKuqFRGqjbIHzETfHSVZSi_DgqjnRmS4vaZFWg6Wc1dDF9T2TElLy9OR0F2Io2H_4bfrAxuLScmtvHMhFT6H7l9H6dqYqsxGcAI4QTJxIDdbeMkATiu2oogOgnFDy7IDVD0cRBgk8B99B8ScPrhlHALqss9TyAKVmKV8USQK9N02dQlUnGIvNfVawlWRpJ47Y41VQ4R8lfC0UUvyg9W-JszD309SzQ5uo6bLqvzCtZ0Yp6ITr9K68zdoo0x6k3Db5rpc6QIayid4Egg6134szLc8Ienpc3zA1m3Cl8YgtsNiYCkD6PvSblEtuotcOsar0q9RQNZSXADSO-TQb1stcGwlCAd1IghNPlV5TMRasE5x_BypVoDLLFQwP0X1grPLm67PhlcAXoJ0ZMb_QBKUlU7x-463oE61DtHT437cyK02SItf_R3uAcnmJ5o_TlRbiEcAJu6CflKNzr6Om2bg38iiCnIULVZrtfR91712plktccOVWQ33qT6=w800-h600-no

I have to admit, I have one foot in that world myself. We do a good job of maintaining our other social circles but, the thing is, the travel hockey culture is damn addicting!

I have to admit, I have one foot in that world myself. We do a good job of maintaining our other social circles but, the thing is, the travel hockey culture is damn addicting!

We have people on our street on the hockey treadmill, and a couple of my good friends from school.

I was on a plane with a guy who lives next to Nick Lindstrom and their kids play hockey together traveling from Chicago to Philly. They have teams from Dallas and Phoenix that fly up for games :eek:

We have people on our street on the hockey treadmill, and a couple of my good friends from school.

I was on a plane with a guy who lives next to Nick Lindstrom and their kids play hockey together traveling from Chicago to Philly. They have teams from Dallas and Phoenix that fly up for games :eek:

Yeah, that sounds like AAA level hockey. If you’re from a southern state like that where there aren’t a lot of teams you’re almost obliged to put in that kind of travel if you want your kid to compete.

Yeah, that sounds like AAA level hockey. If you’re from a southern state like that where there aren’t a lot of teams you’re almost obliged to put in that kind of travel if you want your kid to compete.

I used to live in the place where most of the best kids in the US would move to. Apparently the entire family would often move to the city with the kid.

What disgusts me more is some of the non-parent adults involved in the leagues who make money off these kids.
If there's a market for it, why care?

Back