Hawaiian Jujitsu?

rquinlan

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been searching in my hometown for some good juijitsu training but all I can find is hawaiin jujitsu. What is the difference between brazilian jiujitsu and hawaiian? Have any of you heard of John Pfund? He would be my trainer if I signed up. Any information you could give me would be helpful. Thanks

So, what part of the bay area do you live in?

never heard of that style before...

mmm not sure hawaiian jiu jitsu even exists. where did you see that?

I live in San Ramon near Cal High. It seems a little wierd to me also because although I am new to MMA I have never heard of Hawaiian Jiu-jitsu before. I think I will just keep looking for a different gym. Do any of you know of any good places to go in the bay area around dublin? It doesnt have to be just jiu jitsu, I am open to any other styles of fighting there may be in my area.

I think Ralph Gracie has a school near Dublin.

2om30 said:
never heard of that style before...

I saw an ad for it on craigslist, and it is a 2 minute drive from my house, so I decided to give it a try. But 65 dollars seems expensive for a private training session in something that may not even exist.

Hi

Hawaiain Jujitsu is synonymous with a style called Danzan Ryu Jujitsu, whish was developed in Hawaii and based mostly on Judo and Jujitsu from Japan.

While it does have a lot of ground work and grappling, it is definitely more stand up based than Brazilian Jujitsu.

If you are seeking Brazilian Jujitsu, there is a Gracie studio on Regional in Dublin.

Can you tell me where the John Pfund Hawaiin Jujitsu studio is located? I'd be interested in checking it out.

After deciding to take grappling I tried to go to the Kodenkai Jiu Jitsu in Hawaii. Everything was all good until I told them I was a muay thai student / person. Once the instructor heard that he told me I was not a good candidate for their school. So it was a blessing in diguise because then my friend took me to the Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy where I am a recently promoted four stripe blue.

After deciding to take grappling I tried to go to the Kodenkai Jiu Jitsu in Hawaii. Everything was all good until I told them I was a muay thai student / person. Once the instructor heard that he told me I was not a good candidate for their school. So it was a blessing in diguise because then my friend took me to the Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy where I am a recently promoted four stripe blue.

Congrats! Where's the thread about your promotion? :icon_twis

You just used up your belt promotion thread, so now you can't make one for your blue belt. It's a shame, really.

Congrats btw.

Bmonk told him he couldn't make one.

edit: ...that's not even the same guy. dammit.

Congrats! Where's the thread about your promotion? :icon_twis

Waiting until purple after the Worlds that is depending on if I am deserving no matter how I do there. Judo is rocking though and it is really awesome! Judo 3 times a week bjj 5 times a week, gym 2-3 times a week. Who knows what is going to happen. I know that most people are making threads about stripes but its the purple belt thread or / and judo green that is worth making a thread for me. That might work out together since my judo instructor is giving me a game plan to use at each match in a certain order.

Lol at the guy turning you down because you took Muay Thai.

Maybe he was afraid that you would evaluate his techniques in an objective manner as to their efficiency (or lack thereof)?

OP, I live in Pleasanton as well, and live about 5 minutes away from John Pfund's place as well, I went and tried it out last week. He seems like a great guy, and his classes are small so you're sure to get a lot of 1on1 instruction. And his MMA class seems pretty good, if you ONLY want BJJ, you might be better off going to Ralph Gracie's if you're willing to pay 180$ a month. PM me if you want to know more about it.

Boy testifies of 'Ninja Night' abuse involving instructor

By Simon Read, STAFF WRITER
02/02/2005

PLEASANTON

^^ What the fuck does that have to do with this thread? From a month ago no less.

I'm pretty sure nothing. Nothing at all.

I'm pretty sure the article addresses the same person in Post #1 and maybe its just fyi or at least a warning to anyone considering letting their children train under the guy.

I'm pretty sure the article addresses the same person in Post #1 and maybe its just fyi or at least a warning to anyone considering letting their children train under the guy.

Ah, my bad. The initial post mentioned Hawaiian Jiu-Jitsu and the article posted was about a school in Dublin. I didn't make the connection about the name.

Thanks.

Back