Hawaii Handgun carry law struck by Ninth Circui

Several circuits have already upheld "good cause" open carry restrictions and defined the rights to bear arms as essentially confined to the home.

Thanks. I find this idea particularly illogical and I doubt any evidence exists to support it. Not to mention the notion of "bear" is far more expansive than in the home. Seems kinda retarded to think the federal government could prevent the militias of the states/people from leaving home with their weapons. Hard to put up community defense that way. And only a moron thinks self-defense is as basic a right as exists. Nothing suggests that right ends when you leave your curb. Then there's the long history of Americans carrying guns around.

We'll see how it plays out.

6 years of my life on this out of my own pocket everyone from the NRA on said I'd lose. Check it out.

Congratulations!

So, the B in alanb stands for Beck, eh?

<mma4>

And there I thought it was going to be Alan Boombastic, Esq.

great new article came out

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ights-case-to-u-s-supreme-court-idUSKBN1KT13B

(Reuters) - George Young is a Vietnam War veteran who sued the state of Hawaii three times on his own without a lawyer for the right to carry a handgun, and lost each time.

George Young holds a framed photo of his late daughter Tim Young in Hilo, Hawaii, U.S., July 30, 2018. Picture taken July 30, 2018. Courtesy Lynn Viale/Handout via REUTERS
Alan Beck is an independent lawyer who took on Young’s appeal for free.

Last month, the duo won a major victory for gun rights when an appeals court found Hawaii’s restrictive handgun law unconstitutional, a ruling that could lead to a landmark decision from the U.S. Supreme Court on the right to bear arms in public. And they did so without the help of the powerful National Rifle Association (NRA) gun lobby.

“I went around the state of Hawaii and contacted about 17 attorneys and all of them turned me down. They said I would only lose,” said Young, 68. “I want to see it through to the end, which is the U.S. Supreme Court.”

Last edited:
6 years of my life on this out of my own pocket everyone from the NRA on said I'd lose. Check it out.

Congratulations and thank you. You shouldn't have to be doing this out of your own pocket. I'd rather give you money than the NRA. Sooo.... how do I (and hopefully others, as well) go about donating some money to you?

Hey @alanb. What does this ruling mean for Hawaii's recent ban on bumpstocks & binary triggers?

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/07/ne...an-gets-smack-down-9th-circuit/#axzz5PmfXj1EG

A three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld a lower court’s decision to halt the implementation of Proposition 63, which was passed by California voters in 2016 and set in motion the prohibition of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

“This is a stunning smackdown of Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom’s anti-gun agenda,” said Sam Paredes, Executive Director of Gun Owners of California. “This decision is encouraging – especially since this will likely be appealed to the full court.”

In the immediate aftermath of Proposition 63, a legal challenge was initiated (Duncan v. Becerra – CRPA) that cited violations of the 2nd Amendment, due process, and private property “taking” without compensation. In June of 2017, just days prior to implementation, U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez agreed with the challenge and issued a preliminary injunction, stating that the standard capacity ban undermines the rights guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment and “amounts to the government taking people’s property without compensation.”

The Judge further stated, “If this injunction does not issue, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of otherwise law-abiding citizens will have an untenable choice: become an outlaw or dispossess one’s self of lawfully acquired property.” Judge Benitez also made the distinction that the “Constitution is a shield from the tyranny of the majority.”

“These words are as significant this year as they were in 2017, and we fully applaud the Circuit Court of Appeal’s support of Judge Benitez’ that this “law” would have criminalized thousands of citizens who have legally owned high capacity (standard/traditional) magazines,” said Paredes.

Isn't that the same principle as this?

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroo...gns-firearms-bills-including-bump-stocks-ban/

Gov. David Ige signed into law SB 2046 (Act 157) which prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, transfer and possession of bump fire stocks, multi-burst trigger activators, and trigger cranks – the same devices used by the gunman in the deadly Las Vegas shooting.

During the bill signing ceremony at the Hawai‘i State Capitol, Honolulu Police Chief Susan Ballard announced a 30-day amnesty program that allows bump stock owners to turn in the firearm at any police station or to call 9-1-1 for officers to pick it up.

Congrats, Alan! Even though I have a cousin as a defendant, I was rooting for you on this! It really is asinine that Hawaii flaunts the US Constitution regarding the 2nd amendment.

Congrats, Alan! Even though I have a cousin as a defendant, I was rooting for you on this! It really is asinine that Hawaii flaunts the US Constitution regarding the 2nd amendment.
Thanks who is ur cousin

Congrats, man. That is impressive.

Hey @alanb. What does this ruling mean for Hawaii's recent ban on bumpstocks & binary triggers?

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/07/ne...an-gets-smack-down-9th-circuit/#axzz5PmfXj1EG

Isn't that the same principle as this?

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroo...gns-firearms-bills-including-bump-stocks-ban/

This case won't have any direct impact on this. There is a NRA case that deals with large capacity magazines that might help out though. DUncan v Bercerra is the name of the case.

This case won't have any direct impact on this. There is a NRA case that deals with large capacity magazines that might help out though. DUncan v Bercerra is the name of the case.

Can you give a few sentences on why?

Thanks. I'll check it out.

A knife is much better as an in home weapon. A roman short sword in the other hand is all you need.

15nk6j9.jpg

Thanks who is ur cousin
Former Police Chief. (Sorry if you two had your differences.) I think he's a really good guy, but as in all things political, everyone has their own views that they become entrenched in.

@alanb so what’s happening now? One of the articles said the State had until September 14th to decide if they wanted it heard “en banc” (whatever that means). Obviously the 14th has now passed. What are they doing?

@alanb so what’s happening now? One of the articles said the State had until September 14th to decide if they wanted it heard “en banc” (whatever that means). Obviously the 14th has now passed. What are they doing?

The state is asking for the entire Ninth Circuit to vote on whether to hear the court in front of the full court and I am working on my response to that

The state is asking for the entire Ninth Circuit to vote on whether to hear the court in front of the full court and I am working on my response to that

There’s no equivalent to this en banc mechanism in Canadian Courts. Is it essentially a step before going to SCOTUS? To say 3 judges saw it one way, but more judges might decide differently? That seems like kind of a strange system.

Back