Having a training regrets mid life crisis

whole different meaning.

R.jpeg

Also, something else I want to say to TS is that lots of times people can find fulfillment and a sense of accomplishment by enriching the lives of others.

TS Can teach others once he attains a high level of skill and knowledge. He can sponsor free or low cost self defense classes for women. He can register as a non profit to offer very affordable classes to children who come from low income households (I could've used something like that when I was a kid).

As freaky had mentioned you can become a trainer. Dave Jonkers is an excellent trainer as evidenced by Davit Kiria and Semmy Schilt.

There is a Zen Buddhist proverb that I came across a few years ago that said:

"True Happiness is attained through serving others without seeking reward."

I personally always fight against any and all "could've, should've, would've" thoughts since it can lead to craving and craving can lead to anguish and suffering.

I wish you good luck and success in whatever you choose to do TS.

R.jpeg

Also, something else I want to say to TS is that lots of times people can find fulfillment and a sense of accomplishment by enriching the lives of others.

TS Can teach others once he attains a high level of skill and knowledge. He can sponsor free or low cost self defense classes for women. He can register as a non profit to offer very affordable classes to children who come from low income households (I could've used something like that when I was a kid).

As freaky had mentioned you can become a trainer. Dave Jonkers is an excellent trainer as evidenced by Davit Kiria and Semmy Schilt.

There is a Zen Buddhist proverb that I came across a few years ago that said:

"True Happiness is attained through serving others without seeking reward."

I personally always fight against any and all "could've, should've, would've" thoughts since it can lead to craving and craving can lead to anguish and suffering.

I wish you good luck and success in whatever you choose to do TS.
Damn U rock!

It's good to read positive perspective.

Just had x rays on my left hip and going in for an MRI next week for something torn up bad.

I kinda snarked the TS above cause I'm dying to train and have been on and off for a few years helping take Ukemi for guys training up for Shodan when I should have been healing.

It's weird when your whole life has revolved around training and then progressively limiting it more and more till even walking across a room to take a shit is painful.

Right before my injury I was up at 5:30 Yoga/Tai Chi and old TKD/Kboxing bag and footwork drills for 2 hrs, 3 mile run or 20 mile bike ride. Noon no rank WB fill in BJJ and 6pm JJJ/Judo with extended Randori/Comp sessions sometimes till 9:30. Strength training every other day. Longest I strung that together was 14 days with a day off at the end, most of the time 7 or 8 days before taking a day off. I use be able to do 2 month "camps" like that 2 times a year now I can't even tie my left shoe lace without wincing, Haha!

Reading a post from a guy who's healthy but can't get off the couch just pushes my buttons looking forward to a 6 month rehab, LOL!

Thnx 4 the unintentional Sherdog therapy, LOL!

Always good 2 read your posts!

On shit and Merry Festivus!

looking forward to a 6 month rehab, LOL!

I wish you a Speedy rehab and hope you'll be back at it soon. There's nothing wrong with refraining from training for however long if that means you'll eventually be healthy enough to train uninterruptedly in the long run.

In the meantime, while your are rehabing you can use that time to do some serious and detailed study and research of the martial arts. Bruce Lee was bed ridden for 6 months due to a back injury he suffered while lifting weights. He used that time very wisely by studying hundreds, maybe even thousands of books, articles and film, taking notes and formulating his own personal philosophy on combat. It was during this 6 month period that he conceptualized his combat philosophy that he called Jeet Kune Do.

You're welcome and Happy Holidays to You and Yours as well.

I personally have some aversions about competitions because the Martial Arts were formulated for reality self protection not for medals or trophies.

protection of yourself and your loved ones is the ORIGINAL PURPOSE of training in the fighting arts.

Martial Arts were not originally formulated for self protection actually, that's a modern use.

Martial Arts as their name indicate were originally created for war and war survival, including Chinese martial arts, Japanese martial arts, arts like Muay Boran, Krabi-Krabong, Kalaripayattu, Pencak silat, Arnis/Eskrima/Kali, etc.

Some others like wrestling and boxing were created for entertainment purposes ages ago, as far back as the antiquity. So some were actually originally created for competition, medals and trophies.

not trying to win medals and trophies in competitions (which have RULES, referees, circumstances and environments that you will NEVER have the luxury of benefiting from in the streets).

I'd also take that last part with a pinch of salt. Training in a dojo will never be the same as surviving dangerous street situations. It's very difficult to replicate street situations and most Kyokushin dojos will not prepare you enough (if at all) for that. Fighting off several opponents, surviving weapon attacks etc. are not trained that much if at all in Kyokushin depending on the dojo of course, but usually only at more advanced level post black belt if at all.

Fighters who train for competition in fight sports actually put themselves to the test in fights and IMO are much more likely to be able to handle high pressure and wisthand + deliver damage in a real situation than a "dojo fighter" who never fights at 100% against someone trying to put him away.

I have wasted myself and don't want to get old and bitter

There's still time to do something about it now and it's never too late. You can't go back in the past without a time machine, so it's all about changing the present and future :)

Also, it's all about enjoying the training, learning new skills, getting fitter, testing yourself and hanging out with like-minded people ;)

Good luck and have fun!

Damn U rock!

It's good to read positive perspective.

Just had x rays on my left hip and going in for an MRI next week for something torn up bad.

I kinda snarked the TS above cause I'm dying to train and have been on and off for a few years helping take Ukemi for guys training up for Shodan when I should have been healing.

It's weird when your whole life has revolved around training and then progressively limiting it more and more till even walking across a room to take a shit is painful.

Right before my injury I was up at 5:30 Yoga/Tai Chi and old TKD/Kboxing bag and footwork drills for 2 hrs, 3 mile run or 20 mile bike ride. Noon no rank WB fill in BJJ and 6pm JJJ/Judo with extended Randori/Comp sessions sometimes till 9:30. Strength training every other day. Longest I strung that together was 14 days with a day off at the end, most of the time 7 or 8 days before taking a day off. I use be able to do 2 month "camps" like that 2 times a year now I can't even tie my left shoe lace without wincing, Haha!

Reading a post from a guy who's healthy but can't get off the couch just pushes my buttons looking forward to a 6 month rehab, LOL!

No wondered your knackered as you did far too much training there.
I hope you recover well.

Martial Arts were not originally formulated for self protection actually, that's a modern use.

Martial Arts as their name indicate were originally created for war and war survival, including Chinese martial arts, Japanese martial arts, arts like Muay Boran, Krabi-Krabong, Kalaripayattu, Pencak silat, Arnis/Eskrima/Kali, etc.

Some others like wrestling and boxing were created for entertainment purposes ages ago, as far back as the antiquity. So some were actually originally created for competition, medals and trophies.

I find your definition of war to be pedantic and narrow. "Martial" back then would be protecting one's village or home from other people, likely including some people in your own village or travelers from outside. Guard work would be the most common use. That's where most of its application would stem from. It's not like they waited for and reserved use for giant mass scale wars between countries, or started them solely for that. Sure was a lot of overlap, but most daily practical use would be needed and developed for small-scale guarding purposes (personal and governmental).

I find your definition of war to be pedantic and narrow. "Martial" back then would be protecting one's village or home from other people, likely including some people in your own village or travelers from outside. Guard work would be the most common use. That's where most of its application would stem from. It's not like they waited for and reserved use for giant mass scale wars between countries, or started them solely for that. Sure was a lot of overlap, but most daily practical use would be needed and developed for small-scale guarding purposes (personal and governmental).

I didn't give a definition of war, so I don't see how "my definition of war" was pedantic and narrow in my comment. I never meant for the word "war" to necessarily mean giant mass scale wars between countries.

The Martial Arts I listed were mostly created and developed for use in war be it local wars between different villages or tribes, or on a larger scale between countries and empires. Even Chinese Martial Arts can be traced back all the way to the Xia Dynasty thousands of years ago to train soldiers and and even before that period, all the way through to the Warring States period again for military use. Same goes for the original Japanese Martial Arts which can be found in the warrior traditions of the samurais and the caste system, again for use to learn skills and mastery of weapons and hand-to-hand combat to defend one's territory / village / tribe and attack those of others.

My original point was that Martial Arts were not originally created and meant for personal self defense, unlike what was said earlier in the thread. They were also used for that of course, even more so today. But the idea of some individuals creating a martial art system on their own for their self defense needs and then teaching that to few selected people close to them in secret is just a bit of a romanticized way to see Martial Arts. Of course that also exists, but that's not the origin of most Martial Arts.

It's always the argument used to spread traditional martial arts, and get people to sign up to a dojo: "here in our club/organisation/style/dojo you'll learn to defend yourself for your self defense needs and the dangerous streets." It's a good selling argument I guess, but one that most places who claim they do can't actually deliver unfortunately, hence why there are so many "mcdojos" and people who believe the few hand-to-hand techniques they are learning at their dojo no matter how effective will actually save their life when a dangerous situation happens.

ps: apologies for derailing the thread :)

Last edited:

I completely agree with you. Regardless if the "real fights to a possible death" happened in a military battlefield or a village or the streets, the point of my post was that the Martial Arts came about not as means to entertain others and earn trophies and medals, and I'm quite sure TS understood this and knows where I was coming from.

And I also agree with you 100% when you pointed out that most daily practical use would be needed and developed for small-scale guarding purposes (personal, government, on the streets, in the family owned shop, etc.) for the simple fact that very, very, very little hand-to-hand unarmed combat happens on any battlefield. Weaponry always has, and most likely always will, rule the battlefield.

I would fecomend dancing...yeah kind of weird but it would be fun and usefull; surpirse everyone in 6 months with some sick breakdance or tango moves.
There is also endurance things like marahons and spartan races.

Esports

I know this is martial arts forum so maybe like traditional martial arts? Stick to it and you'be a black belta in your early fifties

for the simple fact that very, very, very little hand-to-hand unarmed combat happens on any battlefield. Weaponry always has, and most likely always will, rule the battlefield.

All special forces and elite groups train hand-to-hand combat, even the army does. So yes weapons rule the battlefield, but not just weapons. Hand-to-hand combat has been and will always be trained and used for the battlefield.

Also the same argument could be made for the streets where nowadays weapons also rule the streets in terms of street violence. Almost all robberies be it shops, banks, or people getting mugged are done with weapons, be it melee weapons or firearms. A lot of violent street fights usually have some weapons involved too. Gone are the days when 2 guys would decide to step out of the bar to duel 1 on 1 while everybody else watches.

which advice would you give your younger self?

Lol who cares. Coulda shoulda woulda. "Back in the day" lookin ass

And I also agree with you 100% when you pointed out that most daily practical use would be needed and developed for small-scale guarding purposes (personal, government, on the streets, in the family owned shop, etc.) for the simple fact that very, very, very little hand-to-hand unarmed combat happens on any battlefield. Weaponry always has, and most likely always will, rule the battlefield.

Actually many hand to hand combat forms go hand in hand with armed weapon forms. Many principally unarmed combat forms have weapons in them as well. Just look at all the Filipino martial arts as an example. Western wrestling was trained for warfare in medieval ages with weapons because of how fights happened between two armoured opponents, often fights would get to grappling range and it was a combination of weapon fighting and grappling that won the day. The Samurai developed Ju Jitsu for a similar reason. Even Karate has weapon forms that the Okinawan peasants had access to rice fails, milling handles and other agricultural tools like sickles. If you are looking at Muay Thai you can also see that weapon forms such as Krabi-Krabong existed before the unarmed form.

And unarmed martial arts often existed to allow practitioners to test themselves against one another in a sport form. Muay Thai is such an example as is Boxing going all the way back to the greeks. Grappling exists in many forms as a sport allowing unarmed combatants to safely test their fighting prowess against one another. It just so happens that you can use these sporting combat forms to protect yourself if needed. If you look at self-defence down the ages most people trained with a weapon they could get access to be that a sword, a staff or a rice flail. It's only when all weapons are banned like in many modern day societies that hand to hand only would become the default choice for self-defence.

I'm a very youthful 45 year old and have been in and out of Martial Arts since 1981 and have started and stopped all different styles since then and the lack of discipline and being lazy a lot of the times have made me an unconfident mess YET I still want to achieve something.
I have tried Shotokan Karate, Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Aikido, Wing Chun, Judo, Boxing, MMA, Lau Gar etc etc alongside Rugby League and Rugby Union and the sad thing is I had the talent for most and within a small amount of time starting I adapt to the chosen style/sport like a duck to water and my Boxing coach who I'm doing personal fitness/pads/light sparring with has told me that my skills are like a top amateur i.e. defence, power, speed and can apply my self to orthodox and southpaw and have a range of styles in Boxing ( which I think it's the past different Martial Arts styles I have practised over time).

I have wasted myself and don't want to get old and bitter :(

PS the only thing I have done is become a Screen Combat Extra and that was why I got into Martial Arts as a kid because of the movies.

There are often master divisions (usually 40+) in most of those sports.

Maybe you should start coaching and see if you can help somebody else not make the "mistakes" (which really aren't mistakes) you did

Actually many hand to hand combat forms go hand in hand with armed weapon forms. Many principally unarmed combat forms have weapons in them as well. Just look at all the Filipino martial arts as an example. Western wrestling was trained for warfare in medieval ages with weapons because of how fights happened between two armoured opponents, often fights would get to grappling range and it was a combination of weapon fighting and grappling that won the day. The Samurai developed Ju Jitsu for a similar reason. Even Karate has weapon forms that the Okinawan peasants had access to rice fails, milling handles and other agricultural tools like sickles. If you are looking at Muay Thai you can also see that weapon forms such as Krabi-Krabong existed before the unarmed form.

And unarmed martial arts often existed to allow practitioners to test themselves against one another in a sport form. Muay Thai is such an example as is Boxing going all the way back to the greeks. Grappling exists in many forms as a sport allowing unarmed combatants to safely test their fighting prowess against one another. It just so happens that you can use these sporting combat forms to protect yourself if needed. If you look at self-defence down the ages most people trained with a weapon they could get access to be that a sword, a staff or a rice flail. It's only when all weapons are banned like in many modern day societies that hand to hand only would become the default choice for self-defence.

My point still stands. It is a fact that almost no hand-to-hand combat takes place on the battlefield which is now, always has been and always will be ruled by weapons. Even before gun powder made it's way into the hands of warmongers people still fought with edged weapons and on horseback. Once a person was without his weapons and facing an enemy who had his weaponry intact it was over. He either was killed or became a prisoner. This is how it is today as well. Thus, it is still my understanding that the Martial Arts were formulated by commoners for commoners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back