Having a hard time deciding between rest and workout

There is too much going on in your head.
18 days means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Work on building good, healthy, consistent habits. It doesn’t sound like your biggest issue is figuring out workouts.

There is too much going on in your head.
18 days means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Work on building good, healthy, consistent habits. It doesn’t sound like your biggest issue is figuring out workouts.

Yeah I wrote a crappy thread

What does it sound like my biggest issue is ?

Also this thread was supposed to be more bout deciding the difference between rest and work and not a writen down schedule. After all you can't write down intensity.

I def made a trash thread, didn't pan out.

18 days is pretty nice. Guess I react a lot. I feel way different. And I also look different to a degree after 18 days. Maybe noob gains again aka getting back in shape gains. I mean I don't feel that different but it has a effect, almost not training at all then training solidly for 18 days.

Yeah I wrote a crappy thread

What does it sound like my biggest issue is ?

Also this thread was supposed to be more bout deciding the difference between rest and work and not a writen down schedule. After all you can't write down intensity.

I def made a trash thread, didn't pan out.

18 days is pretty nice. Guess I react a lot. I feel way different. And I also look different to a degree after 18 days. Maybe noob gains again aka getting back in shape gains. I mean I don't feel that different but it has a effect, almost not training at all then training solidly for 18 days.
It's the way all beginners think. Planning short term and giving significant importance to short periods of time. Are you young or just a beginner?
18 days is nothing, you will understand what I mean one day.

First of all, get your sleep schedule corrected.
Then write down your goals and have a realistic long term plan in place. Keep your goals to a few things, you don't need to work on everything or you'll get good at nothing.

It's the way all beginners think. Planning short term and giving significant importance to short periods of time. Are you young or just a beginner?
18 days is nothing, you will understand what I mean one day.

First of all, get your sleep schedule corrected.
Then write down your goals and have a realistic long term plan in place. Keep your goals to a few things, you don't need to work on everything or you'll get good at nothing.

18 days is a lot. 1 hard workout is a lot.

I'm not a beginner I'm 36.

Maybe you're nowt working out intense these days ?

My sibling been regular in the gym for maybe 2 years and looks normal, fit. His intensity is low. He doesn't like working hard.

18 days is a good thing. You can do wonders in 3 months. If you got my genetics and work intensity.

But yes it comes down to the long term. A year has 365. But you should appreciate every workout you can get in.

18 days is a lot. 1 hard workout is a lot.

I'm not a beginner I'm 36.

Maybe you're nowt working out intense these days ?

My sibling been regular in the gym for maybe 2 years and looks normal, fit. His intensity is low. He doesn't like working hard.

18 days is a good thing. You can do wonders in 3 months. If you got my genetics and work intensity.

But yes it comes down to the long term. A year has 365. But you should appreciate every workout you can get in.
It's really not and intensity has nothing to do with it. More intensity does not = more valuable.
1 year has 365
10 years has 3650
I'm about 17 years into it at age 34.
18 days by itself is not important. Look at the big picture and figure out a consistent plan.

It's really not and intensity has nothing to do with it. More intensity does not = more valuable.
1 year has 365
10 years has 3650
I'm about 17 years into it at age 34.
18 days by itself is not important. Look at the big picture and figure out a consistent plan.

18 days is good. Compared to not exercising 18 days. I made good progress. Cardio comes back. I need to be able to go trough a whole gym session in 2 weeks. At the end usually there's 2-4 rounds sparring. I don't want to be so gassed out I just get beat up and can't def punches.

Intesity is a huge factor. Time is a huge factor too. Value every day. Some gonna suck anyways. It's normal.

Im with everyone in saying that going to the gym and winging it, just isn’t going to cut it.

You may have been working out for a significant period of your life but it’s clear you do not have the experience or repertoire to put together a good program in the first place.

In fact your workouts don’t sound very good at all.

First thing you need to get in shape is LISS. It’s called zone 2 cardio nowadays. Demetrious Johnson’s S&C coach calls it cardiac output.

Read the article, watch the videos, and follow the program, to understand how to “get in shape”
https://8weeksout.com/free-conditioning-program-week-1/

It goes 4 weeks, so you just have the change the number in the link from “1” to “2” to “4” etc. Read all the articles before starting, and watch the videos. And then do it again when you start the program. Took me multiple watches and weeks of implementing it in my training to fully understand what he’s trying to convey.

Add a little bit of strength work in at the end of your cardio sessions, just to maintain strength. Basic stuff like pushups, pull-ups, abs, etc. It doesn’t have to be body weight but the point is, it’s not gonna be a full on strength routine.
You don’t want to go too overboard with the strength if you are prioritizing cardio. It’s literally just there to maintain. Although you might gain strength initially just from noob gains/muscle memory.

Workout 5-6 days a week. Once a day. That should be more than enough for a deconditioned person. Use the other time you were gonna use for the second workout of the day to stretch.
If you must do the cardio/S&C on the treadmill/bike/pool, and then the second workout be your bag work/shadowboxing.

And another thing, bag work should not only consistent of “rounds”. Yes you can do rounds, but I’ve seen you hit the bag and it’s a very low intensity, non productive session.

You need drills on the bag.
A great example of this is Gabriel Varga doing intervals of 2 minutes followed by 30 seconds rest

Another type of interval would be burn out drills at the end of your session. Something like 15 seconds full effort followed by 20 seconds rest. The 15 seconds you would repeat a combo like “1-2-3”. Go through about 10 sets of made up combos”1-1-2” “1-2-3-2” etc.
Not only burn out drills, but repetitive drills too.
Hit the bag with consistent 1-2’s for 100 punches, then hit the bag with uppercuts to the body for 100 punches. Do anywhere from 3-5 sets.

Im only putting this effort into this post because you post in the stand up section, you’re a regular, and you seem like a decent person despite having somewhat stubborn and headstrong opinions and getting into arguments with others lol. If you want to be in shape you need to drop your ego and listen to the people in this sub forum. Almost all the S&C guys are very knowledgeable, unlike the stand up forum where half the people who post their opinions are clowns with no experience. I’d say you can trust the majority of people in this subforum.

One more bag work video. A boxing session where he drills and has purpose to his session. Instead of flailing around doing random combos at random times.

Last edited:
Im with everyone in saying that going to the gym and winging it, just isn’t going to cut it.

You may have been working out for a significant period of your life but it’s clear you do not have the experience or repertoire to put together a good program in the first place.

In fact your workouts don’t sound very good at all.

First thing you need to get in shape is LISS. It’s called zone 2 cardio nowadays. Demetrious Johnson’s S&C coach calls it cardiac output.

Read the article, watch the videos, and follow the program, to understand how to “get in shape”
https://8weeksout.com/free-conditioning-program-week-1/

It goes 4 weeks, so you just have the change the number in the link from “1” to “2” to “4” etc. Read all the articles before starting, and watch the videos. And then do it again when you start the program. Took me multiple watches and weeks of implementing it in my training to fully understand what he’s trying to convey.

Add a little bit of strength work in at the end of your cardio sessions, just to maintain strength. Basic stuff like pushups, pull-ups, abs, etc. It doesn’t have to be body weight but the point is, it’s not gonna be a full on strength routine.
You don’t want to go too overboard with the strength if you are prioritizing cardio. It’s literally just there to maintain. Although you might gain strength initially just from noob gains/muscle memory.

Workout 5-6 days a week. Once a day. That should be more than enough for a deconditioned person. Use the other time you were gonna use for the second workout of the day to stretch.
If you must do the cardio/S&C on the treadmill/bike/pool, and then the second workout be your bag work/shadowboxing.

And another thing, bag work should not only consistent of “rounds”. Yes you can do rounds, but I’ve seen you hit the bag and it’s a very low intensity, non productive session.

You need drills on the bag.
A great example of this is Gabriel Varga doing intervals of 2 minutes followed by 30 seconds rest

Another type of interval would be burn out drills at the end of your session. Something like 15 seconds full effort followed by 20 seconds rest. The 15 seconds you would repeat a combo like “1-2-3”. Go through about 10 sets of made up combos”1-1-2” “1-2-3-2” etc.
Not only burn out drills, but repetitive drills too.
Hit the bag with consistent 1-2’s for 100 punches, then hit the bag with uppercuts to the body for 100 punches. Do anywhere from 3-5 sets.

Im only putting this effort into this post because you post in the stand up section, you’re a regular, and you seem like a decent person despite having somewhat stubborn and headstrong opinions and getting into arguments with others lol. If you want to be in shape you need to drop your ego and listen to the people in this sub forum. Almost all the S&C guys are very knowledgeable, unlike the stand up forum where half the people who post their opinions are clowns with no experience. I’d say you can trust the majority of people in this subforum.

One more bag work video. A boxing session where he drills and has purpose to his session. Instead of flailing around doing random combos at random times.

Do you do what your trainer tells you ? How can you plan and schedule your workouts if your trainer tells you 5x a week what exercises to do ?

As for stubborn you hit the nail on the head. If you're from Herzegowina you know everything best and your opinion is always valid. Do not tell someone from Herzegowina something he believes is wrong. Stubborn concrete head.

Also,
Bro you must've forgot I'm the best fighter on all sherdawg karate webs. Anyone can get it. Shots fired.

Last edited:
Do you do what your trainer tells you ? How can you plan and schedule your workouts if your trainer tells you 5x a week what exercises to do ?

As for stubborn you hit the nail on the head. If you're from Herzegowina you know everything best and your opinion is always valid. Do not tell someone from Herzegowina something he believes is wrong. Stubborn concrete head.

Also,
Bro you must've forgot I'm the best fighter on all sherdawg karate webs. Anyone can get it. Shots fired.
Are you saying like my S&C coach?
You can plan when to see him. Like mondays, wednesdays and Friday’s. And generally we do the same stuff like mondays lift, wednesdays circuit, and fridays sprint or something.

Also a good trainer will have a program he follows. Such as when to up the volume and intensity and what type of workouts to do.

I didn’t like the way my coach was programming my stuff with too much volume and intensity so I have my own schedule now. Mondays is conditioning, Wednesdays plyos, Thursday conditioning, and weekends a little bit of strength

First off, get rid of the rap music. Burn it in a bon fire or a barrel.

If all you're doing it is for kick boxing for leisure, just keep doing what you're doing. If you want to workout every day, don't push yourself to the point where you can't do what you want to do. Have you asked your kick boxing coach for a program that you can do outside of the dojo?

This video from a few years ago might help you in terms of intensity:

First off, get rid of the rap music. Burn it in a bon fire or a barrel.

If all you're doing it is for kick boxing for leisure, just keep doing what you're doing. If you want to workout every day, don't push yourself to the point where you can't do what you want to do. Have you asked your kick boxing coach for a program that you can do outside of the dojo?

This video from a few years ago might help you in terms of intensity:

Yeah I watched that video it's apsolutely great and I agree with it

I'm fucked my left gluteus maximus hurts again today. That comes from maximum power kicking left roundhouse kicks.

I need to warm up better and not hit full force with my left leg for like 1 month. And stretch. And get a mre or what's it called. I had a serious problem with it more then a year ago. Now it rarely creeps back. I need to advice with a doctor. It can hold me back majorly.

And my sleep is so bad it's already funny. I get all the rest but at the funniest times possible to the point I'd be embarrassed giving the exact numbers. I need to fix that for good. Always the same shit. Fix my sleep forever and keep it good. That's harder then doing workouts. At least I'm positive and motivated. Working out is enjoyable.

Last edited:
foam roll that IT band and give it some rest. can't go from 0 to 100 kicks in a day

At your age you also have to come to terms that you cannot train as hard anymore or be in peak form. You need to sleep and rest properly. Genetics is bullshit when you fulfill the rest of the equation especially when you are an aging athlete. You can still make gains but self sabotaging isn’t going to help you.

At your age you also have to come to terms that you cannot train as hard anymore or be in peak form. You need to sleep and rest properly. Genetics is bullshit when you fulfill the rest of the equation especially when you are an aging athlete. You can still make gains but self sabotaging isn’t going to help you.

Yeah I messed up my left Glutes 2.5 years ago. Now it's comming back. When I'm back in Germany I will have it scanned and talk about recovery and how to keep it healthy. It's not too bad and will disappear in just a few days. But the question is how to fix it permanently or not re agrevate it. Today it's not really good, no bagwork possible at all. I'll lift some weights. Likely then for 2-3 months work it up lightly and stretch a lot and warm up well. I think it will be a chronic injury. Let's see what the doctors say.

I def can't just do a warm up round and then throw kicks with 100%. Kinda sucks. I wonder how these pro fighters do it all with their surgeries and injuries.

On a side note, I can't play videogames here, and my hands / fingers feel significantly better. Might keep it up, not gameing.

I don't know let's see maybe I can recover this injury to 100%.

Sometimes I don't feel nothing for a long time. Now did go 100% on the bag and feeling it. Just that spot everything else is fine and no issues at all.

When the injury flares up it effects everything. So when I'll be doing bench press I still feel it. However usually it goes away fast. Like 2 days. Which is deceptive cause then it comes back quick if I work out and don't notice any pain. So yep should work on recovering it fully and then do workouts in a way it won't flare it up. Meaning really proper warm ups and not throwing hard early into a session. And stretching after most workouts. Def gotten really lazy bout stretching. And let's just see what the doctor will say after a scan.
Now when I stopped working out and rarely did a fitness session I had no issues with it. I think torquing fast at the bag reflames it. But only sometimes. So yep good good warm ups. And gradual increases in intensity.
The rest of my body nothing hurts. Well I had bad finger cartilage since teenage years but it's quiet alright. No pain just gets numb if I'm on the computer too much and hit the bag also. So I gotta cut out the computer.

Last edited:
As a rule of thumb, if I am tired and don't feel like working out, I do it anyway. If I feel the same way the next day, then I will take a day off from working out, but make sure I get some walking in. Sometimes your mind likes to play tricks on you.
Surprisingly enough, I have hit PRs on some of the days I struggled to get my workout done.

Bry

Awesome knowledge from this thread.
I never knew what is there to know about cardio.
Basically my take away is inflammation. I thought more is more. But it's about optimising. Different energy systems and doing so much you can effectively recover from it. And get more cardio ect gains in the long and short run. I always thought train more train more die in training it hurts you're doing it good.

Really fruitful thread for me.

Did more balanced workouts and feeling better. It's more fun and sustainable.

And diverse. Not just pump weights hit the bag like a maniac.

Really cool thread for me. Especially biscuits contribution. Thunder was good too. And you're right. Rap is negative vibrations. And that Firas clip is a good reminder.

Last edited:
As long as you don't totally destroy yourself on the weight pile 2 to 3 hrs high intensity a day shouldn't be a problem. You'll know when you warm up if it's time to take a day off. Think of your heart and use strength training to rest it from high intensity cardio and long aerobic days when your backs taxed

Back