Haven't Played Monster Hunter. I See MH: World is Coming to PC. Should I Get It?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have no experience with the game. My friends play it, they all seem to like it. I've never played any of them but I'm bored of every game being a battle royale. This seems like a nice change of pace. I see the console version got awesome reviews.

Anyone that's played it and other monster hunter games recommend it?

What other games does it compare to?

Combat wise I would compare MH to a slower version of Dark Souls. It's all about punishing missed attacks, position, and pattern recognition. Just like with DS, if you get greedy, you get fucked up. There are no levels, just a handfull of different maps. In the central hub, the quest giver hands out your tasks that send you into the different maps to slay monsters.

The hunting portion is half the game, where the other half is the crafting and outfitting your characters with different armors and builds for each situation. There is a ridiculous amount of build customization to keep you busy for a long time. It does get a pretty grindy towards the end as you start perfecting your builds and hunting for the strongest upgrades. I spent a good 150hrs before I had to abandon ship and get on the next game. I think Deadshot said he put in something like 400hrs.

I think it's definitely worth a buy as there is tons of content to last a long time, but it's also not for everyone. If you don't care for grindy MMO type loot drops it may drive you away.

Combat wise I would compare MH to a slower version of Dark Souls. It's all about punishing missed attacks, position, and pattern recognition. Just like with DS, if you get greedy, you get fucked up. There are no levels, just a handfull of different maps. In the central hub, the quest giver hands out your tasks that send you into the different maps to slay monsters.

The hunting portion is half the game, where the other half is the crafting and outfitting your characters with different armors and builds for each situation. There is a ridiculous amount of build customization to keep you busy for a long time. It does get a pretty grindy towards the end as you start perfecting your builds and hunting for the strongest upgrades. I spent a good 150hrs before I had to abandon ship and get on the next game. I think Deadshot said he put in something like 400hrs.

I think it's definitely worth a buy as there is tons of content to last a long time, but it's also not for everyone. If you don't care for grindy MMO type loot drops it may drive you away.
Thanks for the detailed reply man. I was never into Dark Souls so I can't really relate to the combat type. It sounds difficult though. I come from the World of Warcraft crowd. I played that shit for many years so as far as MMO type grindy games, I get it. It sounds like it could definitely be a breath of fresh air from all the competitive FPS battle royale games that have been coming out lately though and I think that may actually be what I need. So I'm leaning toward giving this one a try. I like games that have vast character customization too so that's definitely a plus to me.

Thanks for the detailed reply man. I was never into Dark Souls so I can't really relate to the combat type. It sounds difficult though. I come from the World of Warcraft crowd. I played that shit for many years so as far as MMO type grindy games, I get it. It sounds like it could definitely be a breath of fresh air from all the competitive FPS battle royale games that have been coming out lately though and I think that may actually be what I need. So I'm leaning toward giving this one a try. I like games that have vast character customization too so that's definitely a plus to me.

it's not so much character customization as it's flexibility in your builds. Stats in MH and all gear based. All of the different armor pieces have different skills attached so you can mix and match the skills to cater to your play style. There are a bunch of different weapons and each weapon can have different builds as well. like the lance can be built shield tanking or evasion. pretty much every weapon has multiple different play styles.

it's not so much character customization as it's flexibility in your builds. Stats in MH and all gear based. All of the different armor pieces have different skills attached so you can mix and match the skills to cater to your play style. There are a bunch of different weapons and each weapon can have different builds as well. like the lance can be built shield tanking or evasion. pretty much every weapon has multiple different play styles.
Ah well still sounds good to me! The 60 dollar price point kinda sucks I got used to paying way less for steam games but I think I'll give this one a try. Sounds like I can get some solid hours out of it.

Ah well still sounds good to me! The 60 dollar price point kinda sucks I got used to paying way less for steam games but I think I'll give this one a try. Sounds like I can get some solid hours out of it.
Bssed on your experience with WoW I think MH is a perfect game for you to play on console.

i bought mh world on the ps4, i've never played a MH game before. at first it was cool, but overwhelming. there's like 14 weapons each with pro n cons and then there's your armor that let's you build what you can pretty easily. huge amounts of customization. i liked the hub and the cat side kick, but hated the actual fighting engine. the monsters looked gorgeous and sounded great, i just couldn't handle the block block, wait, attack then chase that seemed to be the norm for a battle, and each battle took a long time to properly finish.

i got like 20 hours in and decided it wasn't for me. if you're more patient with the battle and love chasing big monsters around, have at it!

I’m at 490 hours and counting. I’m a loot hound and love to craft every weapon and piece of armor in the game. There’s also an RNG raid-style monster that drops good weapons that I’ve been farming. And then there’s the decorations to farm that add skills to your armor sets. It’s highly addictive and if you like that style of game, you’ll love MHW. If I find myself getting a little bored, I’ll pick a weapon I’m not good with and go help lower ranked players with story missions for the heck of it.

Its essentially a game that’s all boss fights and no regular enemies. But the bosses have huge HP pools compared to most games, with fights lasting up to 30-40 minutes.

They are also pretty good at dropping newer versions of monsters for people with overpowered builds to keep them challenged. There are regular monsters, tempered monsters (who hit much harder) and Arch tempered that have almost double the HP pool and hit even harder still.

I'm waiting on the PC release of World myself but I have played other games in the series. It's definitely not like the traditional hack-and-slash games that most people are used to.

I would probably try out one of the PS2 or PSP releases using an emulator. We haven't heard anything about a beta yet.

The 60 dollar price point kinda sucks

24%/27% off if you're subscribed to their emails.

I didn't like it at all. Basically you sign up to hunt a monster. Then you enter a stage kill that one monster and then leave the stage. All the monsters are pre-placed and do not respawn unless you leave the stage get another mission and go back to the stage. Repeat this forever. I also found the combat to be quite dull and the weapons don't feel satisfying. You chip away at the monster's HP and based on their HP they react differently. It feels very fake and forced IMO.

I didn't like it at all. Basically you sign up to hunt a monster. Then you enter a stage kill that one monster and then leave the stage. All the monsters are pre-placed and do not respawn unless you leave the stage get another mission and go back to the stage. Repeat this forever. I also found the combat to be quite dull and the weapons don't feel satisfying. You chip away at the monster's HP and based on their HP they react differently. It feels very fake and forced IMO.

I played the beta and while it looked beautiful didn't really enjoy it myself either. To repetitive for my taste.

Wait for performance benchmarks. Japanese ports are either great (recent Dark Souls games) or utter shit (Nier: Automatopeia).

And fuuuuuck Capcom for releasing the game months after the console versions and still charging full price. Steam sale or bust for this game because August is Yakuza on PC month for me.

hope they will release a PC beta so i can try the game

I have no experience with the game. My friends play it, they all seem to like it. I've never played any of them but I'm bored of every game being a battle royale. This seems like a nice change of pace. I see the console version got awesome reviews.

Anyone that's played it and other monster hunter games recommend it?

What other games does it compare to?
Try Dauntless on PC. It's free, in open beta, and really fun. Very similar to MH, in that it is also a Hunter style game that uses different weapons with their own unique movesets. It's actually a really fun game, although I have the same issue with it as I do all Hunter-type games, and that is that it can become somewhat repetitive. Then again, you could say that about pretty much any video game ever.

Anyway, I highly recommend trying out Dauntless to see if these types of games are for you. I will probably end up buying MH:World when it drops on PC.

Wait for performance benchmarks. Japanese ports are either great (recent Dark Souls games) or utter shit (Nier: Automatopeia).

And fuuuuuck Capcom for releasing the game months after the console versions and still charging full price. Steam sale or bust for this game because August is Yakuza on PC month for me.
IDK dude, the original Dark Souls port was horrible. 2 and 3 played great though. Nier: Automata also plays at 60+ frames and is beautiful, I've never had an issue with it, I have a nice PC though.

It was too annoying to like imo. It looked nice, but the combat wasn't great and it isn't always clear on what/how to do something.

People who try to use lock on like in Souls games will get pissed off playing it. The lock on is camera only and you’ll swing wildly and not hit the monster. It’s definitely not a Souls game like many were expecting.

IDK dude, the original Dark Souls port was horrible. 2 and 3 played great though. Nier: Automata also plays at 60+ frames and is beautiful, I've never had an issue with it, I have a nice PC though.

Original Dark Souls came out almost a decade ago.

Back