Have you or someone you know sold Amway?

llama de lrey

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I have a friend of mine from way back, who tells me she is starting a "business." She tells me how she was "recruited" by some people who had to wait awhile to see if she had the "right mind set." I ask her to describe the business, and she tells me how it creates passive income, and how the people who recruited her are "retired at 30" and how she can get out of the rat race...

Anyhow, she is evasive about what she is actually getting involved in, and tells me she's going to a "leadership conference" in big city x., where she apparently was "surrounded by millionaires."

At work the next week, I then talk to some guy I know (who is not the brightest) loosely through work, who also happened to be in the same city, same weekend, for what he says is a "leadership conference" for his "business" that he is building. I tell him that I know someone who was supposedly in the same city same days for a leadership conference. His eyes open wide, and he starts asking me we she was, then saying the conference was for "dream builders world wide", and how you move up by levels in the organization, based on recruiting certain numbers of people who are "positive" and want to "own their own business" who then recruit other people, and so forth, and you get a percentage of each person'so sales. Then he says "... Well it's actually run by Amway" ... The infamous multi-level marketing scam/pyramid scheme from the 80's/90's (for those too young to know, google it).

I think this chick I know is brainwashed by them but at the same time I rarely ever talk to her, so it's not really my problem, just wondering if anyone else here has experience/knowledge of this?

Lol, Amway. I remember some guy I knew in high school back in 89 was into that. I went with him to a meeting to write an article about it for the school newspaper. It was obviously just a gigantic scam. Anyone who falls for that is a complete moron.

Want to lose weigh? PM me for a herbalife membership and let's get started!

http://www.angelfire.com/or/amwaydreamers/index2.html

It really is quite hilarious what they do, and that people fall for it... As soon as someone talks about a guaranteed way of getting rich, or a "business" that is based on recruiting other people... You pretty much know they joined Amway or some similar scam. Or as they call themselves now... "dream builders international"... The name change is obviously to get away from the notoriety of the Amway brand.

http://www.angelfire.com/or/amwaydreamers/index2.html

It really is quite hilarious what they do, and that people fall for it... As soon as someone talks about a guaranteed way of getting rich, or a "business" that is based on recruiting other people... You pretty much know they joined Amway or some similar scam. Or as they call themselves now... "dream builders international"... The name change is obviously to get away from the notoriety of the Amway brand.

Or they refer to themselves as "mentors" who just happen to sell Amway products.

"Nahhhh, we aren't Scamway. We're just here to mentor you and guide you........

towards purchasing and selling Amway products to all of your family and friends!"

It's not brainwashing, it's not a cult. Its just seems like a simple, digestible way to get rich and people latch onto it. Some people do make a lot of money doing it, but for the most part it's a scam.

It's not brainwashing, it's not a cult. Its just seems like a simple, digestible way to get rich and people latch onto it. Some people do make a lot of money doing it, but for the most part it's a scam.

Well, it kinda is when the 'leader' has everyone sit down and says to the room:

"forget everything you learned in school about business! Forget everything your friends and family told you about business. Don't listen to your friends or family! They are skeptics who just want to hold you back from reaching your potential! They are skeptics now, but once you unlock your potential and start earning very good money, they will be envious! Listen to me, and I'll tell you how the business world really works..."

except instead of drinking Kool-aid, they drink their crappy energy drinks.

khafrepyramid.jpg

If it's not a cult, they are very similar to a cult based on what I've been reading. Discouraging people from thinking critically, and discouraging people from associating with people who are critical of Amway ("negative people") is a classic tenet of cults. That's what Scientology does. Also, being so evasive about what they are actually about, and focussing instead on the dreams of the naive ... It just seems like they are brainwashing people willingly

If it's not a cult, they are very similar to a cult based on what I've been reading. Discouraging people from thinking critically, and discouraging people from associating with people who are critical of Amway ("negative people") is a classic tenet of cults. That's what Scientology does. Also, being so evasive about what they are actually about, and focussing instead on the dreams of the naive ... It just seems like they are brainwashing people willingly

If what the link they posted before is true, that does sound like scientology.

Generally it's a legit business model. Just because it's multilevel doesn't necessarily make it a pyramid scheme.

Generally it's a legit business model. Just because it's multilevel doesn't necessarily make it a pyramid scheme.

Not in the sense you will go to prison for it, but that's a thin type of legitimacy. The only reason to structure an organization this way is to scam people. MLM is a pyramid scam from top to bottom.

Anyone know if Advocare is one of these MLM schemes? Got a friend at work who parents and he are into it.

thinly veiled "im thinking about selling amway but first want to gauge others opinion of amway" thread.

Not in the sense you will go to prison for it, but that's a thin type of legitimacy. The only reason to structure an organization this way is to scam people. MLM is a pyramid scam from top to bottom.

I actually agree with him. I did Herbalife for a little while. I quit, not because I thought it was a scam, but because I just didn't feel like putting all the work into it. But the products are legitimate and with enough work and know-how, you could make money from selling the products alone without even getting into the multi-level aspect of it. Of course, if you do get distributors below you then you make even MORE money.

My only problem with Herbalife was that the products were over-priced. But then again, so is almost everything at GNC as well. That's the supplement industry for you.

For some reason I thought the title said Sonnen sold Amway. And for some reason, I was not surprised.

similar to Primerica which I had a guy try in vain to get me to do in college.

Back