Have you ever pulled this sub off?

Yes all the time. But the twist is that I used to live with Seph and learned from him doing it to me. I still have no idea what it's called.

I actually learned that move as a pretty fresh white belt and pull it out from time to time. I would be interested in hearing any finishing pointers because sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't, and I have no idea what I'm doing differently the times that it does work.

is that just a american version on the near side? My brain is mush and I can't quite tell what's shakin

I've always heard it called the Limao, named after one of Rickson's first black belts. There's a Japanese name for it I can't remember offhand. Ian MacPherson from Alliance used to hit all the time.

I saw it on a catch video on this forum, maybe six months ago or more. Some old boy showed it.

Anyway, I wanted to try it, but for some reason never did.

Pull it off while training here and there, people rarely see it coming! The hardest part is getting that leg across their hips quick enough. Learned it from an Ian Mcpherson video which I'll post here. He scoops his controlling arm under the guy's head and hooks the shoulder (youtube video picture shows this) instead of going across on top which seems a bit less secure maybe? Learned it as a white belt and use it, the paper cutter, or an armbar depending on what they are defending and how. Pretty nasty combo!

Back