Have You Ever Been Too Scared To Go To Class? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by kpoz12, Sep 12, 2017.

1. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    So he was the type to shoot doubles, then when the partner was about to escape/sweep, he'd disengage?

Yeah for sure.

The first thing every coach does when someone goes gym warrior route is to put them against the gym's fighters, and if they don't change and still do their nonsense its boot time. At the end of the day its disrupting the business, recreational members (who are the bulk of paying members) are getting intimidated will stop showing up and probably tell their friends the gym ain't so hot anymore.

LewisH and Rebelfett like this.
  2. Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Dogstarman
    Exactly. He shoots if he starts feeling himself getting in a bad spot he disengages and stands right back up. I asked him one time why he refuses to engage. He said with you I have to because you will beat me.

3. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    fucking lol

Rebelfett and Dogstarman like this.
  4. Quebec Nick Blue Belt

Quebec Nick

This guy will suck until the end of time

There's no winning or losing, I'm not dumb I know who is better than me, but trying to do the right thing will up your game in time, even if you get submitted or dominated, if you try to do the right thing you're gonna build something. Trying to not lose won't get you anywhere.

If I know I'm against a very good guy who's got a good guard and that can sweep me and that I'll probably stay on my back until he submits me... I won't stay in his guard postured up and grip fighting, I'm still gonna try to pass his guard, because the right thing to do is to pass his guard.

That way I'm getting better at not getting swept, at guard passing (even if it doesn't work) and I work on my defense on the back.

Ego won't get you anywhere

Also, a lot of people consider that people that accept to ''lose'' as non competitive and that have lack of agressivness. You can still be competitive and agressive, you just have to be willing to take risks to win the right way.

Typrune Goatley, Sano and j123 like this.
  5. Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Dogstarman
    Oh I know and when I am finally able to get him on his back I just crush him there. Listen. I'm no world beater but I've trained long enough to understand the intricacies of the game and who is good technically and who is good because they are super athletic. The super athletic guys who don't use proper technique will become stagnant or injured. They plateau then they have to start learning technique if they want to get passed a certain point in their jiu jitsu career.

Quebec Nick likes this.
  6. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    Which is funny, because the fighters and top guys all approach sparring/rolling like this.

I see the vids and fights in person of our top guys then when its time to spar, its kinda like "Oh boy, I'm getting cut up today", then its just them being chill and working on stuff.

Only the turds treat it like a sanctioned fight, and they never get anywhere because they never want to be out of their comfort zone, and they'll never improve. The guy @Dogstarman said is never gonna get anywhere because he doesn't even wanna play BJJ, hell he's probably only got a blast double and no other variants, and won't know how to deal with it against someone with great TDD. Guy's gonna be frustrated and bail unless he changes his mindset.

One of our newer guys (to competing) has a very fun and open approach, even if he gets dominated he has fun, laughs it off, and improves from there. I see him doing well, he's got no ego and just constantly wants to improve, and his game is getting pretty up there for his exp. level. Complete opposite of the ego driven ones

Dogstarman likes this.
  7. kpoz12 The No Life King

kpoz12
    I had to look at myself in them irro last night during sparring and literally say, "just go home early; live to fight another day".

Rebelfett likes this.
  8. CFGroup Blue Belt

CFGroup
    U wrastlers! LOL!

9. TheFakeMacoy Green Belt

TheFakeMacoy
    One day when I was training, some boxer showed up and was going to town on the heavy bag. We were all a little worried that he was going to destroy it, so one of us asked him to take it easy. He refused, and said that we should settle it like men. He started lacing up the largest boxing gloves I've ever seen. We all laughed and thought he meant in a boxing match, but then he walked onto the mats instead.

There were 3 of us, myself, a wrestler, and a BJJ guy. We thought he was a little crazy, so we wanted to slowly surround him and take him down quickly. He started shuffling and just peppering the wrestler with the jab. It didn't matter how big the gloves were, he was too fast. The wrestler gave up and left, and then he started on the BJJ guy. Jabs were flying through the air, and my eyes started watering just being around it. I realized that he would be coming after me next. I through off my judo gi and ran out, screaming about being filled with terror and dread.

I ended up changing my name and moving to another city to avoid that jab. To this day, being around pepper gives me flashbacks.

10. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    Is this real life?

11. TheFakeMacoy Green Belt

TheFakeMacoy
  12. Rebelfett Blue Belt

Rebelfett
    The day I returned to the mat after a 7 month layoff after breaking my back at work. I was scared that my back wouldn't hold up and that I was throw up during the warm up and embarrass myself.

Typrune Goatley likes this.
  13. Overtures The Guard Lives

Overtures

Have you ever NOT wrestle fucked a BJJ guy? If so, who?

14. czar2 Purple Belt

czar2
    Yes. Coming to train not fully healed with a minor injury, scared that it might reopen, but too dumb and stubborn to miss class

15. Dirty Holt Brown Belt

Dirty Holt
    I pull guard almost every match

16. Jarvan Purple Belt

Jarvan
    Training since 2012

Still get nervous before EVERY SINGLE class

But once we start, I don't wanna leave

Got problems

17. kpoz12 The No Life King

kpoz12
    Real talk:

Tonight I literally got to the door of my academy, then just turned around, went home, and crawled into bed...I layed there for like 30mins, then fuckin jumped up, RAN back in the frikking pouring rain (I live only 5mins away), and just had an AMAZING hour of rolls!

I've obviously got some issues going on here- a lot of changes and stress at work, at home, and obviously something with Jiu Jitsu itself-, but, I am super proud of myself for coming back, and super grateful to have such a great coach, team, and community!

Just like JJ Machado says, "it NEVER gets 'easy'; you just get BETTER"!
    I've always been a chronic over-thinker, over-analyser, and stresser, so I think the best thing for me is to get OUT of my head, and BACK into my body!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Typrune Goatley and Quebec Nick like this.
  18. Quebec Nick Blue Belt

Quebec Nick
    I'm also an anxious guy, I overthink a lot and I always have different scenarios going on in my head. Sometimes stress from work or family will create a new and over-the-top stress that will manifest in my training.

Yesterday it was about sparring someguy that I've been having some stylistic trouble against since a couple of weeks. I've been thinking of a way to do better against him the night before, it was all cool and not obsessive or anything, I was just trying to figure out stuff and I felt pretty relax.

After a shitty day at work, nothing catastrophic but nothing good either, I started to think about the class coming on in a couple hours, and I started obsessing about the guy, and if I'm gonna go against him tonight and if I'm ready enough... When I went to class I saw him through the window had a bit of panic going on.

But now I'm not a kid anymore I just continued walking, calmed myself a little while changing and almost ran to the guy to have the first spar against him. I just wanted to get over that.

This type of anxiety almost ruined my teenage years and most of my 20's. Now I have the same feelings has before but I'm a lot more confident that I will get through them easily. In my case, the anxiety is strong as ever, it's just the will to do it anyway that is stronger than before.