Have we all forgotten how Michael Chiesa whined?

Losing the appeal seems to have shut him up for now, let's see what happens when his next fight is booked.

bad ref stoppage. A person who is falling unconscious doesn't have their arms sticking straight up in the air.

You can't "assume" someone's about to go unconscious.

We don't know if Michael could have turned that fight around or have lasted to the end of the round.

undebatable.
Tell Chiesa to intelligently defend himself

Yamasaki himself pointed out that Chiesa was no longer intelligently defending the choke, at that point it's a fair call to end it.
By that logic, as soon as you stop defending the choke the fight should be stopped. that's nonsense that you heard somebody else say

By that logic, as soon as you stop defending the chokethe fight should be stopped. that's nonsense that you heard somebody else say

Yes, that's the problem. Maybe he would have gone out, but there was very little time left in the round and if he had gotten to the bell and kept the fight standing in the second round, things could have gone very different. Maybe he was done, but we'll never know now. He wasn't out and wasn't going to tap, refs seem to have incredible discretion in MMA.

That being said, it's his own fault for showing such poor fight IQ. He rocked Lee with every strike he threw early and then tried to take him down. It's mind boggling.

I have watched every one of Chiesa's losses and each time he's thrown a fit about it and it's not been a good look for him

Masvidal - Stormed out of the cage without shaking hands

Lauzon - Wouldn't stop complaining to the ref about how he didn't want it stopped

Lee - Threw another fit, ran around the cage freaking out

It's embarrassing to watch really

By that logic, as soon as you stop defending the chokethe fight should be stopped. that's nonsense that you heard somebody else say
All fights are suppose to be stopped after you stop defending yourself. That's almost exactly what the AC said in the appeal.

Not accepting his loss like a man

Verbally harassing a ref using a line he stole from Dana White

We're being a little too easy on this guy

Some people thought it was an early stoppage, most others did not. As for the extended whining? He's a millennial and it's expected. Was surprised not to see he mom chastising Mario after fight for being mean to her snowflake.

lol watch the replay of the finish. Dont drink chiesas koolaid that he was trying some defensive move that requires you to go limp and stop trying to fight the choke. he was done.

Yes, that's the problem. Maybe he would have gone out, but there was very little time left in the round and if he had gotten to the bell and kept the fight standing in the second round, things could have gone very different. Maybe he was done, but we'll never know now. He wasn't out and wasn't going to tap, refs seem to have incredible discretion in MMA.

That being said, it's his own fault for showing such poor fight IQ. He rocked Lee with every strike he threw early and then tried to take him down. It's mind boggling.
there was 30 seconds left. that is enough time to do serious damage to someone while choking them without them even trying to fight off your grip.

I didn't really keep up with his complaints but it's clear to me that fight was stopped prematurely: he didn't tap or lose consciousness. There are plenty of fights in which a fighter resists passively until his opponent's arms weary; that doesn't constitute defeat. Chiesa got screwed.

I honestly think his dad's death might have fucked him up emotionally, for good. I know that sounds crazy, but it can happen. My brother's been dead for 16 years, and I still have moments when I completely spazz out over it.

I respected the hell out of him and his desire to return to tuf and win it after his dad died in the middle of shooting. That was beyond admirable. But since TUF, something just seems a little off.

I didn't really keep up with his complaints but it's clear to me that fight was stopped prematurely: he didn't tap or lose consciousness. There are plenty of fights in which a fighter resists passively until his opponent's arms weary; that doesn't constitute defeat. Chiesa got screwed.
Examples? When has a guy stopped defending the choke and still got out of it?

He actually challenged Yamasaki to a grappling match. He challenged an old referee to compete against him to prove his point. Fuck Chiesa I lost all respect for the guy.

Examples? When has a guy stopped defending the choke and still got out of it?

I'm not sure Chiesa had stopped defending but an example that comes close to fitting that description is Ken Shamrock vs. Kimbo Slice.

I'm not sure Chiesa had stopped defending but an example that comes close to fitting that description is Ken Shamrock vs. Kimbo Slice.
Dude Chiesa was LITERALLY laying on top of Lee doing nothing. That's why so many people thought he went to sleep. Because he wasn't moving or anything.

Kimbo wasn't just laying on top of Shamrock and he never stopped hand fighting.

And on the flip side, what would have happened if Chiesa was really out, the ref didn't stop the fight, and Lee held the choke until death or Chiesa became a vegetable because lack of oxygen to brain? Lee still had 30 seconds to work with and irreparable damage could have been done.

All fights are suppose to be stopped after you stop defending yourself. That's almost exactly what the AC said in the appeal.
that applies to punches homie. Just because you're not grasping at your opponent's hands doesn't mean the fight should be immediately stopped. You know in your heart that's true

lol watch the replay of the finish. Dont drink chiesas koolaid that he was trying some defensive move that requires you to go limp and stop trying to fight the choke. he was done.
He was not limp, he was arching his back and had his arms straight up in the air. Why do I have to debate facts.

You don't know how strong that choke was, you don't know if he was about to go unconscious, you don't know if he could have lasted the last minute of the round, you don't know if Michael has good resistance to chokes, you don't know, you don't know, you don't know.
Bad ref stoppage. Just because you stop grasping at your opponent's hands doesn't mean the fight should be stopped that's foolish nonsense that sheep have been Jedi Mind tricked into.

Last edited:
Dude Chiesa was LITERALLY laying on top of Lee doing nothing. That's why so many people thought he went to sleep. Because he wasn't moving or anything.

Kimbo wasn't just laying on top of Shamrock and he never stopped hand fighting.

And on the flip side, what would have happened if Chiesa was really out, the ref didn't stop the fight, and Lee held the choke until death or Chiesa became a vegetable because lack of oxygen to brain? Lee still had 30 seconds to work with and irreparable damage could have been done.

So you think Kimbo successfully defended that choke? That's not how I remember it and I remember Chiesa being more in the fight than Slice was.

Your counterfactual argument for stopping the fight seems weak because there's no great uncertainty involved. I've seen refs grab a fighter's arm to ascertain whether he's conscious or not but if in doubt, I think it would be even easier to just ask "Do you want to continue?" If necessary, ask again after a small interval. Immobilizing your opponent isn't the same as finishing him.

bad ref stoppage. A person who is falling unconscious doesn't have their arms sticking straight up in the air.

You can't "assume" someone's about to go unconscious.

We don't know if Michael could have turned that fight around or have lasted to the end of the round.

undebatable.
Doing the walrus does not get you out of a choke. He was going night night.

Back