Have either JDS or Cain surpassed Fedor? Can they still?

Cain, yes. JDS, no.

Stipe is arguably the greatest of all time at HW. It's an incredibly volatile title.

JDS streak to win the HW title was very impressive at the time, I mean who will ever be capable of having so many quality wins in a division where guys generally get finished within 2.

View attachment 229949

Its a shame the timing was never right for Brock/JDS. Add him and horsemeat era Reem to that record and there would have been hardly anyone else around for JDS to beat at that time besides a returning Werdum who he'd already destroyed.

At their peaks both looked capable of going on Fedor esque runs but it never materialised. Before his loss to Cain in their 2nd fight JDS looked maybe 2 years off of matching or surpassing it.

Cain might still have a shot but hes so injury prone. JDS looks completely done and is just a shell of his former self.
You need to have a strong chin if you wanna be able to compete with the elite of the elite in Hw, most of em hit hard and have somewhat good precision, and now both Miocic and Overeem knocked him out, ok the Overeem was kind of early stoppage, but still can't dismiss the damage he took in the 2 wars with Cain and who knows what damage he has taken at the gym during training, that stuff accumulates. JDS can still rack up impressive wins as some kind of gate-keeper in HW but havin another shot at the title, maybe not.

Last edited:
How do you guys feel Stipe would do against Prime Sergei back when he still had his sambo grappling skills and some of the best hands the division had seen?

He murked Arlovski and Reem first round before they'd been KO'd 15 times each.

10001730.gif

10001888.gif

Sergei's win over one of the GOAT kickboxers Semmy Schilt was similar to Stipe's win over Hunt.

2uqoufm.gif

Ninja was undersized but this was brutal, similar to Stipe Vs Maldonado.

Kharitonov-kos-ninja.gif

22.gif

As I'v said before I think beyond guys like Fedor, Nog and Crocop someone like Sergei could absolutely be a threat for the UFC belt in his mid 00's form today.

Obviously not identical to Stipe who I think is a somewhat better wrestler but to me Sergei might well have the edge in boxing and likely in sub grappling as well.

In this fight happened it would be an honest match IMHO< Stipe couldn't just rush forward or go for easier takedowns, he'd have to respect Sergei's game or risk walking right into a counter.

As I'v said before I think beyond guys like Fedor, Nog and Crocop someone like Sergei could absolutely be a threat for the UFC belt in his mid 00's form today.

Obviously not identical to Stipe who I think is a somewhat better wrestler but to me Sergei might well have the edge in boxing and likely in sub grappling as well.

In this fight happened it would be an honest match IMHO< Stipe couldn't just rush forward or go for easier takedowns, he'd have to respect Sergei's game or risk walking right into a counter.

Yeah I'd definitely give Stipe the advantage in grappling with wrestling but he's not gonna sub Sergei and Sergei had very dangerous hands.

Rizzo was 31 at the time and got absolutely taken apart in two minutes by Sergei's boxing.

2709DF36581D69482BFFD5

22038F36581D694931AE5E

27075C36581D694C2D3260

First Werdum surpassed him, then JDS, then Cain and now Stipe.

And it's still debatable if he's even above Nogueira, who has a superior resume but did lose to the Russian.

Soon Fedor won't even be top 5 HW anymore. The cultists are panicking.

How do you guys feel Stipe would do against Prime Sergei back when he still had his sambo grappling skills and some of the best hands the division had seen?

I'm not really familiar enough with Kharitnov's career to say. But you draw some interesting parallels.

it's a silly debate, but here's my $.02:

if you ask 100 fans before a fight "is he GOAT" and 50 say yes, then the fighter loses, and you ask again "is he GOAT" and 15 say yes, then you just proved that at least 35 people out of 100 are morons, ignorant, or both.

this is an allegory to what happens when having GOAT discussions about current fighters.

This! There have been a lot of threads comparing Stipe and Fedor lately but all Stipe needs to do is lose his next and no one thinks he's close to Fedor anymore.

Back