Have a health issue-possibly diabetes

@gspieler when you say your blood glucose is crashing to dangerous levels... what levels are we talking?
and where did you get your bg monitor? Hopefully it is calibrated with a fresh battery and the previous owner didn't have full blown AIDS.

Had my A1C levels checked. They were fine. I think that's why they ruled it out. But IMHO that doesn't tell the whole story. Hypoglycemia can be caused by different causes. Prior to the onset, I was doing two-a-day cardio session plus lifting 3x/week. IMO it stands to reason that if my insulin senitivity increased from training, then the afternoon insulin release my crash my sugar levels to unsafe levels. I'm not a medical expert, but I'd wager that's what's happening. My plan is to confirm if this indeed the likely, and then come up with a plan to adapt so it doesn't ruin my life.

just ask the doctor if he's checked for the beetus. what's the trouble? You think he can't diagnose that properly? It's not as though it's a rare condition.

Right now...err...somewhere in the area of 250. All time: 315.
giphy.gif

Lets get those numbers up and reschedule for June.

Hi Mayberry,

I had/have a recent health issue come up, and would just like to share, get feedback, and hear others experience. To summarize:

I was at work about a week ago. I gradually became dizzy, disoriented, had the chills, and noticed my heart rate was elevated. I left work 30min early and my gf drove me to the ER. I was there for a few hours, and they basically said my blood work was fine. So I chalked it up to severe dehydration.

Since that time however, I have had consistently blurry vision. The disorientation, chills, etc have been recurring, always in the afternoon. I had a follow-up visit, where they ran some additional blood work. Again, there was nothing alarmingly abnormal.

However, the symptoms persist. I've been checking my blood glucose, and the likely culprit IMO is that my blood sugar is crashing in the afternoons to dangerous levels. I'm about 99.99% sure it's physiological, and not psychological. It's getting to the point where's effecting my ability to do my job, and I am going to have miss days getting adequately diagnosed. I'm genuinely worried about this, but it has given me a new appreciation of life, especially my family.

Any feedback appreciated...experiences, advise, light-hearted humor, etc. Particularly anyone who's had similar issues. Thanks.

TLDR:
Felt like was to pass out at work
Went to ER-was released
Symptoms persist
Went to hospital again
Symptoms persist
Thoughts?
Diabetes is primarily a problem concerning consistently elevated blood sugar levels. There is an underlying problem of low blood sugar in situations where a diabetic doesn't eat for a long time and/or the medication they take to lower blood sugar lowers it too much, but the main symptom is high blood sugar, not low. The symptoms you're describing sound much more like hypoglycemia, since you seem to be having trouble with low blood sugar as opposed to high. Also, it if were diabetes, it would have been easy to diagnose with an A1C test. So my money's on hypoglycemia, although it could be something else and of course you should keep seeing medical professionals and getting tests done. Good luck.

I guess it's worth a shot.

Not sure if my post makes it clear but I mean skipping the cardio AND skipping the lifting for a week or two. Basically just don't overexert yourself physically for a little while. You might be overtraining, dehydrating or sweating out nutrients you need.

Did they test your A1C? Should be pretty easy to tell if it is diabetes.

Had my A1C levels checked. They were fine. I think that's why they ruled it out. But IMHO that doesn't tell the whole story. Hypoglycemia can be caused by different causes. Prior to the onset, I was doing two-a-day cardio session plus lifting 3x/week. IMO it stands to reason that if my insulin senitivity increased from training, then the afternoon insulin release my crash my sugar levels to unsafe levels. I'm not a medical expert, but I'd wager that's what's happening. My plan is to confirm if this indeed the likely, and then come up with a plan to adapt so it doesn't ruin my life.
I'd recommend purchasing glucose tablets and carrying them with you. Hypoglycemics and diabetics carry them around in case their blood sugar crashes.

Yeah, I didn't realize until today. I'm going to start steadily consuming sugar in the afternoon. Hopefully it will get it to at least manageable.
Like I mentioned before, glucose tablets are a better alternative to sodas and sugary foods because you avoid excess calories, poor nutrition and weight gain associated with those products. You get the necessary blood sugar boost without the adverse health effects.

I hope not. I can't imagine going through life like this.
look, first of all, never underestimate the effects of anxiety and stress. just something I'm really learning about after all these years. deep pervasive anxiety and stress can cause everything from sleep disorders, skin lesions, confused and unwanted thoughts, constant feelings of exhaustion and desperation to extreme disorders
like fibromyalgia, acute pain disorder, heart palpitations and more.

take a few moments to examine and analyze your life and lifestyle. I'll bet there are numerous stressors
that can be addressed and perhaps mitigated through various means. It might not be easy, but never give up,
and always keep a sense of humor and perspective.

I hope this helps.

@gspieler when you say your blood glucose is crashing to dangerous levels... what levels are we talking?
and where did you get your bg monitor? Hopefully it is calibrated with a fresh battery and the previous owner didn't have full blown AIDS.
I don't know. I've never actually gotten a reading during that time because I'm at work. I'm hoping to get good readings in the coming days.

I don't know. I've never actually gotten a reading during that time because I'm at work. I'm hoping to get good readings in the coming days.

Well, like the poster above said; try drinking a coke if you feel that way and see if that makes things better. It could just be low blood sugar, which a lot of people have and its not necessarily related to any disease.

I should ask specifically has your blood glucose ever been measured at below 70? That's a clear sign of hypoglycemia.

I should ask specifically has your blood glucose ever been measured at below 70? That's a clear sign of hypoglycemia.
Idk, but it seems likely. I got a reading of 83 today, a hour or so after the symptoms peaked. Mind you, when I started to notice them I drank a grape juice that had 50g of sugar.

Idk, but it seems likely. I got a reading of 83 today, a hour or so after the symptoms peaked. Mind you, when I started to notice them I drank a grape juice that had 50g of sugar.
What I'd recommend is that when you start feeling symptoms caused by low blood sugar, test your glucose levels before ingesting glucose to raise it. Try to do this whenever it happens for a while. Then bring your glucose meter to an appointment with a medical professional and they can analyze the data and hopefully make the appropriate diagnosis. Again, good luck.

Have you checked your blood oxygen levels? I assume they had a pulse oximeter clamped to your finger in the ER.

I had some of those same symptoms where my heart rate was elevated and I experienced extreme fatigue. These symptoms came on slowly over many years. I thought it was just getting old. After looking online the symptoms suggested low blood oxygen levels. I purchased a pulse oximeter online for $20. The first time I checked it showed a 79% when it should be 95% or higher. Anything under 90% is considered dangerous. It was found that I had an atrial septal defect which is a hole in the heart that allows blood to bypass the lungs. It is a genetic defect that I was born with. They were able to plug the 14mm hole in my heart but couldn't explain how it had managed to escape detection for so long.

Cut out the animal products and watch how quickly your issue goes away.

Back