Hatton says he almost committed suicide due to depression

The higher you go he drop becomes worse

You see that a lot , lots of fighters go through mini depressions after a loss

I can't imagine the pressure from being the U.K. Superstar to being koed

yea, I can't imagine that downwards spiral towards oblivion.

One moment, you're on top of the world, and arguably one of the most popular men in England and a superstar in boxing...

the next moment, you're a "bum", "has been"....and in the manner he lost to Mayweather and Pac...he lost violently. And to top that off with the negative press, and hateful comments you see on social media....

I don't recall the name of the guy who defeated him several years ago...it was a body shot KO. Shemlenko?

anyway...I hope he gets better...hang in there champ.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ronda Rousey attempted suicide if she loses tomorrow.

I can't even imagine that turn around...that complete 180 from super stardom, movie star, on the cover of Ring magazine, having Beyoncé give you a shout out during a concert, advertising for a host of products...and then....and then....

being KTFO.

lots of experienced fighters just keep going like nothing happened. I think rousey was amateurish to begin with and when they come down it's hard for them. Most fighters have lost and most have lost badly at some point. I was watching some muay thai earlier, they matched a big european against a tiny thai, close fight, but what interested me, after they gave it to the big guy, the thai guy didn't seem affected, he did his best, he lost and that's it. People need to learn how to lose, in the ring and in life. I think what we see with trump and the protesters is a generation of crybabies who really don't know how to cope with not having things go their way. It's infantile.

People need to learn how to lose, in the ring and in life. I think what we see with trump and the protesters is a generation of crybabies who really don't know how to cope with not having things go their way. It's infantile.
Agreed on all fronts.

yea, I can't imagine that downwards spiral towards oblivion.

One moment, you're on top of the world, and arguably one of the most popular men in England and a superstar in boxing...

the next moment, you're a "bum", "has been"....and in the manner he lost to Mayweather and Pac...he lost violently. And to top that off with the negative press, and hateful comments you see on social media....

I don't recall the name of the guy who defeated him several years ago...it was a body shot KO. Shemlenko?

anyway...I hope he gets better...hang in there champ.

vyacheslav senchenko and yeah it was hard to see him lose like that especially because leading up to his comeback fight he already talked about how depressed he was and that he wanted to go out with an win.. I remember thinking he might kill himself after that. Felt bad for him.

lots of experienced fighters just keep going like nothing happened. I think rousey was amateurish to begin with and when they come down it's hard for them. Most fighters have lost and most have lost badly at some point. I was watching some muay thai earlier, they matched a big european against a tiny thai, close fight, but what interested me, after they gave it to the big guy, the thai guy didn't seem affected, he did his best, he lost and that's it. People need to learn how to lose, in the ring and in life. I think what we see with trump and the protesters is a generation of crybabies who really don't know how to cope with not having things go their way. It's infantile.

Depression and being a crybaby are two different things though. But I get what you are saying.

some fighters are crybabies, i was watching a different thai/kickboxing fight than the one i mentioned, it was rick roufus against this thai, roufus broke the guys jaw in the first round but the dude wouldn't quit and just kept landing those brutal thai kicks and eventually roufus had to quit. Anyway, his brother/trainer, in the post fight interview was straight whining, saying how it didn't take any talent to throw those kicks, he looked like he was about to cry. Happens in boxing every so often, especially with guys who've had all the push but not enough struggle. I recall Paul Gonzalez whining in his last major tv fight about how he was kayoed, i also recall how Marv Albert and Ferdie Pacheco were not having any of it. Paul was so used to having his ass kissed that he couldn't handle the realities of pro boxing.

Of course, all pro athletes have a common thing about going through depression when they retire. It's very common, I spoke with a college star about what it's like when the phone stops ringing and the cheers are gone, he described a withdrawal effect that's like a drug withdrawal. Some people thought Ali was depressed after his retirement, Sugar Ray Leonard definitely was, Alexis Arguello was. Now, with boxers and football players it gets interesting because we don't know if it's brain damage, losing a fight, not hearing the cheers or a mix thereof. Leonard seemed to say the camacho loss really triggered a bad depression, I think Arguello never got over the Pryor losses, I mean some losses can be heartbreaking, i won't deny that but most of us common folk in the world have to deal with a lot more loss and lack of opportunity. Like i say when people, usually women, talk about how bad some of my music heroes had it, "I don't feel bad for (prince, george michael, elvis, Michael Jackson) I feel bad for the guy who has to work in a dirty ass steel mill for 40 years. People do create their own problems sometimes.

some fighters are crybabies, i was watching a different thai/kickboxing fight than the one i mentioned, it was rick roufus against this thai, roufus broke the guys jaw in the first round but the dude wouldn't quit and just kept landing those brutal thai kicks and eventually roufus had to quit. Anyway, his brother/trainer, in the post fight interview was straight whining, saying how it didn't take any talent to throw those kicks, he looked like he was about to cry. Happens in boxing every so often, especially with guys who've had all the push but not enough struggle. I recall Paul Gonzalez whining in his last major tv fight about how he was kayoed, i also recall how Marv Albert and Ferdie Pacheco were not having any of it. Paul was so used to having his ass kissed that he couldn't handle the realities of pro boxing.

Of course, all pro athletes have a common thing about going through depression when they retire. It's very common, I spoke with a college star about what it's like when the phone stops ringing and the cheers are gone, he described a withdrawal effect that's like a drug withdrawal. Some people thought Ali was depressed after his retirement, Sugar Ray Leonard definitely was, Alexis Arguello was. Now, with boxers and football players it gets interesting because we don't know if it's brain damage, losing a fight, not hearing the cheers or a mix thereof. Leonard seemed to say the camacho loss really triggered a bad depression, I think Arguello never got over the Pryor losses, I mean some losses can be heartbreaking, i won't deny that but most of us common folk in the world have to deal with a lot more loss and lack of opportunity. Like i say when people, usually women, talk about how bad some of my music heroes had it, "I don't feel bad for (prince, george michael, elvis, Michael Jackson) I feel bad for the guy who has to work in a dirty ass steel mill for 40 years. People do create their own problems sometimes.

of course its going out there,and feeling the adulation of the crowd,it makes you feel like a GOD. Also a fight career gives you a sense of purpose. His whole life was leading up to that,and then you have it. What's left when its gone?

In my small way I can relate as a musician, it's a powerful thing when you get an audience in the palm of your hand but my ego really was never so big that I couldn't do without it. I learned through others that the ego can lead to a world of trouble as well as glory. Ego is easy to use against a man.

Rhonda is so out of touch, she doesn't realize not a lot of people felt bad for her. Now it looks obvious she's not over the first loss. She may never be, that's what happens when you are a boorish, amateurish bully. Now, i understand she was a very accomplished grappler before the ufc but her attitude has always been so distasteful and entitled that it's hard to believe she never learned humility. Her mom was a top grappler too and she seems to have more sense than ronda does. I can't see how she went this wrong. Loss is good, Ali lost by kayo when he was 16, he cried in the dressing room, by the time he lost to Frazier, he'd already been there and he dealt with it like it was nothing. Naturally, no one likes to lose but that's some of our best opportunities for growth.

Not surprised

Drugs
Your wife leaving you
Retirement (less income)

That's why you have to enjoy the highs and be humble. Because the lows will be humbling as hell

Back