Has your gaming preferences changed over the years?

Yes and no, my first choice is usually FPS and I never could get GTA, but now Im pretty awesome at GTA. I've also started playing my problem solving games and survival games but usually my first choice is FPS.

I’m still trying to beat Pitfall

I've played MMA video games at a high level online since 2010 & GTA. That's about it.

& If they ever made another fight night for PS4, I'd be all over that.

I've always been into the story/setting of games. So highly repetitive games like most sports games, fighting games, or FPS built around pvp in the same 'arenas' over and over never appealed to me, that hasn't changed, not sure I had much of a definable preference otherwise

Only thing that's really changed is I have to avoid MP because I get too butthurt.

It's funny, when I was an asshole kid playing Counterstrike or DOD I was very calm, respectful and I had strong principles like no camping. Now I'm older and wiser, when I play Battlefield or War Thunder or whatever I'm a complete child and always raging and blaming everything on hackers, which only makes me play worse and worse. So I quit MP

Also when I was a kid I could easily put in long sessions of like 8-10 hours on a game but nowadays I'm too easily distracted. Sometimes I'll play something that's awesome and I'll put in a massive session stretching over hours and hours but like 90% of games nowadays can't catch my attention like that

Well the first RPG I played was Oblivion in 09 and first online was COD 4 a bit later, before that pretty much only sports games. But Oblivion was so great that I played a bunch of old good RPG's for years. Then someone told me about XCOM, strategy. Loved it. So it's pretty much what's good these days, but I don't have as much time as back then, so it's more about quality than genre.

Fighting games used to be everything to me in the 90's when the arcades were booming. I still play them, but not as heavily as I used to. Truthfully, I just suck at them these days. They're more complex than I remember and require a greater investment to git gud.

Somewhat, in so much as I have less time to invest, however diversity of genre wise no. I played a wide array growing up and that hasn't changed; I'm open to any game if it's enjoyable. The only notable difference meow is that I've cut out MMOs entirely and have less interest in competitive multiplayer. The only competitive multiplayer I get down on is Doom 2016 and Quake Champions from time to time, and I don't even do that consistently.

Not really. I've always liked games with open worlds and role playing elements.

It has for sure. When I was a kid Mario was the go to game. A little later it was crash bandicoot and tomb raider. Then my sports phase hit and it was football from 98'-06'. Now I do the shooters, but I mainly stick to rpg games. I like the realistic games, but I also like the escape from reality. So magic and monsters always grab my attention. I haven't purchased a footbal game since 06' save for last year. And that was a waste of money. I played a few times and never got interested.

I find myself playing a lot more indies nowadays whereas before I mostly played triple a RPGS AND Shooters.

Indies are shorter, more polished today, no microtransaction or season pass BS and generally cheaper. Plus the narratives are better too. Especially the Telltale games.

Yes. My personal video game library used to consist almost exclusively of pro wrestling games and Tony Hawk games. I have pretty much purchased every pro wrestling game out there. In the last 10 years it got a lot more balanced and now i play many different types of games.

More of a pick up and play guy now. Twin stick shooters, little indie games, and such.

I still get excited for these 3A games, but I find myself not having the time to play through a game that takes 80+ hours. Though I will rock a badass strategy game every so often.

Not really in terms of preferred genres, but it's just much harder for me to get into a game than it used to be. There are some great games (in terms of acclaim) on my desktop right now that I'm just having trouble firing up, and they're in genres that I like.

The only style of game that I've moved on from JRPGs. The only one I've managed to play and finish in years was Battle Chasers, and that's actually a western developer's take on the genre.

For me, what's mostly changed is that I just can't sit and play a game for hours and hours upon end. I still love RPGs and will still put in tons of hours, it's just at a vastly decreased pace from before. I have also kind of side-stepped into more hardcore shooters. Few years back I found RUST when it was fresh into early access, then DayZ. Now I've got SCUM, and Escape From Tarkov. I still play WoW, but have also discovered a love for a MOBA(Heroes of the Storm).

Back