Has the overhand right a dubious reputation in boxing?

Tarver KO'ed Jones with an overhand left. Tarver is a Southpaw, obviously.

That's a straight left, right down the pipe, his fist doesn't go any higher than his shoulder, doesn't matter if it coming from down at his hip. And btw Tarver was/is known for his straight left.

you guys are tripping, overhand rights are great and very useful. you might be confusing lead rights with them but even lead rights can be useful as ali showed with foreman. if done properly, overhand and underhand rights are the best counter for a jab. Tim witherspoon was advised to hit larry's ribs when he jabbed, simultaneously, he did it well, winning the fight in many people's estimation. also, with the over the jab rights there are a couple points where if you time it well, it can end a fight if you have the power as tyson and many, many others have done. with the opponents left arm and commitment, they often aren't paying attention and couldn't see a right until it's too late anyways. Of course some of it is how much speed you have, a guy like roy jones wore out the overhand, tyson ended fights with it many times.

That's a straight left, right down the pipe, his fist doesn't go any higher than his shoulder, doesn't matter if it coming from down at his hip. And btw Tarver was/is known for his straight left.
note how roy never saw it coming, that's the way to do it.

overhands are fun to throw, I love it as a jab counter.

Mike was good at those

pnrP3UZ.gif

Iron-Mike-in-action-michalis-zambidis-39340300-500-298.gif

also blew kid yamamoto away with the same punch

z_v_m.jpg

LightCrazyGenet-max-1mb.gif

Here,in combination with inside low kicks
RecentMintyAustraliancurlew-max-1mb.gif

Edit: i thought this was the stand subforum, hence the kickboxing.

Last edited:
This thread is a perfect example of why so many commentators just say "a right hand" without specifying what the hell the punch was!

At my gym the trainers usually crack it if anyone throws an overhand right, they only teach straight rights. I’m with the novices though, maybe some of the other guys throw em.

I rarely see it in mitt work or drills either - I was never taught to throw it the way you usually see, and I asked my trainer about it but he said there was no need - the pull counter is already a looping right hand (clearly theres different variations of it as seen in this thread).

Guys I've faced that throw it usually telegraph it so much & it uses so much energy, that I'm usually happy when I face guys like that because 9 times outta 10 that they throw it, they aren't going to hit anything and ill make em pay for it.

However, when you face a guy who drills that shot all the time, and has it as their money shot, it can give you hell. I was boxing this dude & seriously had to go back and start doing research & asking a lotta questions because I was being picked apart by the overhand right. He threw it real good, extremely fast, loads of power, barely any telegraph, & would dip over to his left as he threw it pretty dramatically so it was almost impossible to counter it. Throwing it gave him what felt like a few seconds of invincibility lmao, if he chose to throw it he wasn't going to get hit for that exchange. Rendered my shoulder roll pretty useless & threw it every time I would jab and was starting to take my jab from me cuz I didn't wanna get caught with the counter. (he would really get distance and step in, usually a pull from me would make the shot hit air but I even posted with the jab (stiff armed) him with my reach since he was shorter, and he still managed to cut distance and catch me over the top with it)

Eventually I realized you need to go under and towards the shot, not away from it. At least thats what had worked for me, it sparked in my head that I actually know what to do against this, just rarely encountered it. so I started dipping down at the waist when he would throw it, having it sail over the top & digging the body & coming back to the head with a combo. Gave me much more success & now I don't worry too much about it even if they are great with throwing it. Gotta go into the eye of the storm to really counter it.

So yeah.. that overhand right if thrown properly can be a true game changer. It especially helps since you rarely see it thrown good so theres not a ton of experience with it as you would have with straight right hands, which are seen all the time. Very awkward since it comes from down low & sails over the top also, it almost feel like a body shot is coming.

you guys are tripping, overhand rights are great and very useful. you might be confusing lead rights with them but even lead rights can be useful as ali showed with foreman. if done properly, overhand and underhand rights are the best counter for a jab. Tim witherspoon was advised to hit larry's ribs when he jabbed, simultaneously, he did it well, winning the fight in many people's estimation. also, with the over the jab rights there are a couple points where if you time it well, it can end a fight if you have the power as tyson and many, many others have done. with the opponents left arm and commitment, they often aren't paying attention and couldn't see a right until it's too late anyways. Of course some of it is how much speed you have, a guy like roy jones wore out the overhand, tyson ended fights with it many times.
This, a proper overhand right is a great way to counter a lazy jab or after you parry a jab or do a proper inside slip when I jabs (I'm not good at that).
It's not a punch that I'd throw in a combination when I'm trying to dictate the rhythm and pace of the fight, it's a counter.
When I'm throwing a cross I'm usually more focussed on throwing it fast after the jab and bringing it back fast, the main goal it to land it, not power, at least for me.
My jab and my lead hook are better punches than my cross, so people often don't respect my right hand and get lazy with their jabs, then I try to counter them with an overhand right or an outside slip right hook/uppercut (it's often not a textbook hook) to the body, I love that punch.

I need some help remembering an old Tuesday Night Fight from the 90's. It was a guy with about a .500 record. A stocky black guy around maybe MW. For some reason I'm thinking his name may have been at least partially french but my searches aren't turning anything up so I might be wrong. Anyway, he was throwing an overhand right the whole fight, then near the last round he finally straightened it out and threw a cross that ended the fight. I think there was a picture of him in The Ring drinking a wine cooler in the dressing room. Does this ring any bells? @Seano @JayE @cottagecheesefan

I need some help remembering an old Tuesday Night Fight from the 90's. It was a guy with about a .500 record. A stocky black guy around maybe MW. For some reason I'm thinking his name may have been at least partially french but my searches aren't turning anything up so I might be wrong. Anyway, he was throwing an overhand right the whole fight, then near the last round he finally straightened it out and threw a cross that ended the fight. I think there was a picture of him in The Ring drinking a wine cooler in the dressing room. Does this ring any bells? @Seano @JayE @cottagecheesefan
<{hughesimpress}>

Too vague for me.

Back