Has the overhand right a dubious reputation in boxing?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm relatively new in the game but still.... overhand rights are suspiciously absent in drills.

Do boxing instructors concider them unsound even though most boxers use them?

They look Incredibly effective when done right.

Last edited:
ya, good point. Its such a natural punch, maybe they drill everything else because it is harder to perfect?

Side note, I have often noticed a lack of good overhand rights from Europeans, even in boxing, but more in hockey fights, lol. Ive always wondered if i take the punch for granted having played third base from 6 yrs old. Im not sure Europe has a popular sport where everyone throws all the time -in practice, with dad or a friend in the yard, games, always.

ya, good point. Its such a natural punch, maybe they drill everything else because it is harder to perfect?

Side note, I have often noticed a lack of good overhand rights from Europeans, even in boxing, but more in hockey fights, lol. Ive always wondered if i take the punch for granted having played third base from 6 yrs old. Im not sure Europe has a popular sport where everyone throws all the time -in practice, with dad or a friend in the yard, games, always.

Cricket; but it’s a shit boring sport played mostly by melts/the middle class

Winding punch. Far more likely to see it coming at high levels. Can be countered by using a jab pawing and testing distance. Comes across the entire length of your body.

So, it's only really great if you have a reach advantage. Or if you have ridiculous power and reach as one of your only weapons.

It's a punch that can work if you can take what the opponent gives you. If your known as "that guy" the opponent will simply move to your left and pick you off whenever you try to get set to throw it. It telegraphs a lot, requires the most distance, and leaves you open for counters.

But, it has a use. It can counter a jab, for example. You can punch around their guard with it, too. It's one of those punches that can work if you know when to use it. It's not like an uppercut from the outside, which no one, no one, should ever do.

An overhand right or left is a crude inefficient punch. One has just as much chance of breaking their thumb or hand as they do knocking someone out with it. Its a natural movement and so most "amateurs" use it because it "feels-good" when winding your shoulder as fast as you can and making contact. Its as natural as throwing a baseball. Problem is contact is made usually with the "bad unstable" part of the hand (from the thumb to the first knuckle) anything from sprained wrists to broken hands are more frequent. Boxers don't use it or try not to for some of those reasons (but the natural motion is hard to shake). IAnd believe it or not, there's more power from a straight right/left with everything "lined-up" torque-wise from the torso, to the shoulder, down the arm to the straight wrist into the main 1,2 and 3rd knuckles solid like a hammer. That's why boxers focus on that more, more efficient, more compact, gets to the target faster, and harder to see coming, especially when you can hide it with a jab in the opponents face first.

An overhand right or left is a crude inefficient punch. One has just as much chance of breaking their thumb or hand as they do knocking someone out with it. Its a natural movement and so most "amateurs" use it because it "feels-good" when winding your shoulder as fast as you can and making contact. Its as natural as throwing a baseball. Problem is contact is made usually with the "bad unstable" part of the hand (from the thumb to the first knuckle) anything from sprained wrists to broken hands are more frequent. Boxers don't use it or try not to for some of those reasons (but the natural motion is hard to shake). IAnd believe it or not, there's more power from a straight right/left with everything "lined-up" torque-wise from the torso, to the shoulder, down the arm to the straight wrist into the main 1,2 and 3rd knuckles solid like a hammer. That's why boxers focus on that more, more efficient, more compact, gets to the target faster, and harder to see coming, especially when you can hide it with a jab in the opponents face first.

I actually don't find the motion natural or easy all.

When it’s done well, it can be devasting, but hard to do while maintaining balance and defence

https://m.imgur.com/r/Boxing/VVYOt0k

Nice gif.

Although I'm hesitant to classify that as an overhand right in the context most people are discussing here, i.e., a more traditionally thought of, arcing and winding setup a la Wilder.

See his trajectory. His hand launches from it's position in the guard without raising higher, his movement forward is ducking. I could be wrong, but it appears more a straight right that turned into an overhand by virtue of getting out of the way.

Nice gif.

Although I'm hesitant to classify that as an overhand right in the context most people are discussing here, i.e., a more traditionally thought of, arcing and winding setup a la Wilder.

See his trajectory. His hand launches from it's position in the guard without raising higher, his movement forward is ducking. I could be wrong, but it appears more a straight right that turned into an overhand by virtue of getting out of the way.

I’d agree that this might not be a ‘traditional’ overhand right, but would argue it’s a very, very good one.

No flailing, good balance, left hand in position and he steps and ducks into it which increases the power further.

Good. Night.

Povetkin has a good overhand right. Seen him KO dudes with that.

I prefer a straight right much better.

Overhand rights are definitely useful. A few here seem to be implying that its a punch for the unskilled but that's far from the case. An overhand right is essential for countering over the jab or bypassing the guard in an exchange.

Nor is it just for tall fighters. In fact it's just the opposite. When a shorter fighter is trying to bypass an opponent's jab and keeps a low center of gravity, he can stay low and keep his head, which is the opponent's target, away from the loop of the overhand right. It makes it much harder to see coming. Duran, Chavez, Marquez, Maidana, on and on have used the punch against taller/longer fighters.

If it's not drilled much it's because it's a bit awkward to catch on the pads, but it should be taught. Though it's a punch more likely picked up in sparring.

Riddick Bowe had an excellent overhand right.

Marcos Maidana anyone? It has its uses, especially when trying to counter a slick boxer being evasive. Step in after someone throws, and they are trying to move away after wards, especially if they move straight back. If they move side to side tho, with their guard up, it should stifke a punch like the over hand right, and actually then leaves you open for a counter. That's why Maidana could land it on someone like Broner who is pretty stationary, moves back, and has a bad guard.

I personally don't like it, as it just doesn't suit my boxing style.

Marcos Maidana anyone? It has its uses, especially when trying to counter a slick boxer being evasive. Step in after someone throws, and they are trying to move away after wards, especially if they move straight back. If they move side to side tho, with their guard up, it should stifke a punch like the over hand right, and actually then leaves you open for a counter. That's why Maidana could land it on someone like Broner who is pretty stationary, moves back, and has a bad guard.

I personally don't like it, as it just doesn't suit my boxing style.
Learn every technique and you have more options at any given moment.

Back