Has Kyoji Horiguchi surpassed Kid Yamamoto?

Danespina

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have a hard time placing Kyoji in the all-time list of best JMMA fighters.

When I compare his record to some legends, it seems to hold up, and yet he isn't perceived in a way that they were.

Kid and Kyoji have a lot of similarities so they make a interesting comparison. Below are their records minus Kid's losing streak.

What do you think?

Kid Horiguchi Comparison.png

Last edited:
UFC were fucking stupid for letting Kyoji go

Last edited:
Accomplishment wise within the ring? Sure, I think Horiguchi has a strong argument as one of the best Japanese fighters ever. Impact wise, he's nowhere near KID. KID was a legitimate superstar that was accomplished in wrestling (possible Olympian if not for the nasty elbow injury), MMA, and had respectable showings against high level kickboxers.

Accomplishment wise within the ring? Sure, I think Horiguchi has a strong argument as one of the best Japanese fighters ever. Impact wise, he's nowhere near KID. KID was a legitimate superstar that was accomplished in wrestling (possible Olympian if not for the nasty elbow injury), MMA, and had respectable showings against high level kickboxers.
Do you think Kyoji entering the kickboxing GP in September would help his perception? If he had respectable showings?

UFC were fucking stupid letting Kyoji go
Worked out for the best for all parties involved, IMO. In the UFC, he was going to be a Fight Pass prelim guy who was probably never going to get a crack at Johnson again.

In RIZIN, he's their #1 star, and the perception has been created that he's on the level with Mighty Mouse, despite having lost to him.

It's one of the benefits of having many promotions, is that there's a king on each mountain.

If the UFC didn't let Kyoji go, I could've seen him being a real threat to DJ if they ever had a rematch.

As a fighter? Yes. Although Kid had ridiculous knockout power at one point.

In popularity? Not even close.

I'll echo the sentiments here
He's much more skilled than KID was but doesn't have the same rockstar appeal, however going into that kickboxing GP is a serious big dick move that could pay off massively

I'll echo the sentiments here
He's much more skilled than KID was but doesn't have the same rockstar appeal, however going into that kickboxing GP is a serious big dick move that could pay off massively

Yeah, it's doubtful we ever see someone as popular as KID was in the JMMA scene.

Related thought:

The most well rounded Killer Bee / Krazy Bee fighters are NOT the Yamamotos.

Akira Kikuchi
Boku
Issei Tamura
Kyoji
Yachi

>

Atsushi (no relation)
Kid
Erson
Miyuu

I didn't realize there were so many who regarded Kyoji's skill and resume as high as Kid. I feel like just a year ago that idea would be turned down immediately.

It might be that the bantamweight GP did a lot for him. 3 wins in 2 days. I know I found a new appreciation for him afterwards.

Kid was a superstar (for mma). Kyoji has a way to go in that department.

Remember when Kid getting caught with pot was a big deal?

Kid was still in the boom period of jmma so seems unlikely Kyoji will get that kind of credit with the roster rizin has. Rizin isnt popular in japan, its still very regional.

Back