Has Hollywood ever remade a sh!tty movie into a good one?

Cape Fear
The Fly
IT
The Thing

I would say Evil Dead (2013) was not too bad of a remake.

Last edited:
This isn't about liking remakes better than the original, it's about thinking the original was shit and the remake was actually good.

I didn't really like the original Mad Max, but the remake was fantastic.

th

"Just don't got the style...do ya, chickenshit"

You're insane. Mad Max > you

This isn't about liking remakes better than the original, it's about thinking the original was shit and the remake was actually good.
Exactly. I was just wondering if a director has ever seen a horrible movie and thought "I could do this and make it great"

Are you saying the remakes of Planet of the Apes are better than the original?
No it was just the only b movie they remade that I could think of love the originals but another post seemed to like the new ones

The originals great as well of course but the Herzog/Cage version of Bad Lieutenant was if anything even better.

That would only count if there was no Tim Burton Batman movies. 1989 Batman doesn't qualify as a shitty movie.
I didn't say it was, but BEGINS is a far superior initial offering.

If anything, Burton's RETURNS is the one that comes close to measuring up to the Nolan films.

I would say most people would think Blood Feast to be a crappy movie (it has its' charm though), but Blood Diner is genuinely funny.
The Toolbox Murders was another one that many would consider crappy with the remake being considerably better.
I haven't seen the I Spit on Your Grave, Mother's Day, or Plan 9 remakes, but I doubt they are any worse then their predecessors.

I didn't say it was, but BEGINS is a far superior initial offering.

If that is the case then what does that have to do with the thread specifically asking what shitty movie was remade into a good one? You just posted that you like one really good movie over another good movie?

I would say most people would think Blood Feast to be a crappy movie (it has its' charm though), but Blood Diner is genuinely funny.

Cot damn, a Blood Diner shoutout

Love that flick too

It's not an official remake, but Alien is much like a remake of IT! The Terror From Beyond Space. If you look at it that way, Alien is much better than the original.

it_the_terror_from_beyond_space_ver21.jpg

If that is the case then what does that have to do with the thread specifically asking what shitty movie was remade into a good one? You just posted that you like one really good movie over another good movie?
Re-read my post. I said the Nolan films were an improvement over previous adaptations. There were less-than-stellar Batman movies before the Burton films.

The Thing

I dunno if I'd go so far as to say The Thing From Another World was a shitty movie. Carpenter's The Thing is definitely a step up though, can't deny that.

Carrying on the great films with great (semi)remakes sun thread I would say Perfect Blue and Black Swan.

I Spit on Your Grave remake was better than the original.
The Hills Have Eyes remake was better than original.
The American version of The Grudge & The Ring was better than Japanese version.

Night of the Living Dead & Dawn of the Dead remakes were more fun than the originals.
Bram Stoker's Dracula was better than anything that came before it.

The remakes of 2000 Maniacs & The Wizard of Gore were way better than the originals.

Was there a reason you liked the Hills Have Eyes remake better than the original? I wanted to know if you caught something I didn’t.

Back