Has EA sports put fight night on the shelf?

TinkerMan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Been years since fight night champion, have they now put it to the back burner and focusing on UFC or what cos we need an updated boxing game imo

I get the feeling that Fight Night Champion didn't sell well, or at least, well enough to pay for all the licensed boxers who are a part of the roster.

I will say this, Fight Night Champion has the absolute best combat engine I've ever played, and I still play this game to this day. If EA focused more on building an immersive boxing game around the incredible engine, they could easily revitalize this series with their sixth installment.

My suggestions would be:
  • Expand drastically on "Legacy Mode," and let the player build a fighter's career from scratch.
  • Open world, with arenas, stadiums, bingo halls, gyms, clubs, etc.
  • Quests within the open world (an expanded Champion Mode).
  • Shops, to buy boxing equipment.
  • Ability to start your own gym once you make enough money.
  • Ability to start your own promotion once you make enough money.
  • Apartments, houses, mansions, cars, etc.; things to buy with the money you make.
  • Less predictable and more complex Legacy Mode (so you're not playing the exact same Legacy Mode every time).
  • Get rid of fighter retirements FFS (good luck trying to fight Evander Holyfield currently).
  • Let the player challenge way above or below their rank, and adjust the difficulty accordingly.
  • Long-lasting injuries that stay between fights, and can be treated with the city's doctors if you have enough money, or will affect your career if you don't take care of it.
All that being said, I'm excited now (for a game that probably isn't coming).

I'd imagine licensing is a bitch, and given the returns the games see, not worth the trouble.

Shame, because they were all amazing games.

I figured since the UFC and Dana are well known pieces of shit, that they negotiated a deal with EA not to make another boxing game while they have the rights to the UFC license since it would be in direct competition to their brand.

They shelved it because it's a quality franchise and EA isn't about quality games they're about the biggest return profit possible

One thing I've been wondering about is if they could remaster FN champion for PS4/Xbox1 and kind of bypass the licensing thing. FN champion is already a great game, and on a new system they could update it a bit and patch it.

If they cant give us a new one they could at least do this, I'd be down. EA made 10x the boxing game than they ever could an MMA game imo.

If they're ever bringing it back, you can bet your ass EA is frontloading it with loads of Microtransactions, Loot Boxes, and On-Disc DLC.

I get the feeling that Fight Night Champion didn't sell well, or at least, well enough to pay for all the licensed boxers who are a part of the roster.

I will say this, Fight Night Champion has the absolute best combat engine I've ever played, and I still play this game to this day. If EA focused more on building an immersive boxing game around the incredible engine, they could easily revitalize this series with their sixth installment.

My suggestions would be:
  • Expand drastically on "Legacy Mode," and let the player build a fighter's career from scratch.
  • Apartments, houses, mansions, cars, etc.; things to buy with the money you make.
  • Less predictable and more complex Legacy Mode (so you're not playing the exact same Legacy Mode every time).
  • Get rid of fighter retirements FFS (good luck trying to fight Evander Holyfield currently).
  • Let the player challenge way above or below their rank, and adjust the difficulty accordingly.
  • Long-lasting injuries that stay between fights, and can be treated with the city's doctors if you have enough money, or will affect your career if you don't take care of it.
I agree man, the actual gameplay and fighting system is second to none, would like to see more active boxers avail able though

If they don't consider a new FN with the mainstream coverage Wilder, Fury and Joshua generate, it will never happen.

On a sidenote, I'm kind of suprised nobody has considered making a bare knuckle boxing game yet. There are some marginally known names there to market, you have the starved boxing game demographic that'd lap it up and you can go all out with superpixelated blood splatter. Get on it, Rockstar Games.

Didn't Floyd Mayweather say a while back he was working on a video game? It must have fell through

If they don't consider a new FN with the mainstream coverage Wilder, Fury and Joshua generate, it will never happen.

On a sidenote, I'm kind of suprised nobody has considered making a bare knuckle boxing game yet. There are some marginally known names there to market, you have the starved boxing game demographic that'd lap it up and you can go all out with superpixelated blood splatter. Get on it, Rockstar Games.
That would be cool. Career mode could have a realistic cuts history feature. Every fight if you receive a cut your fighter will carry that scar for the rest of their career and it's more likely to open up again in future fights. Make it so it's possible to break a hand during a fight which reduces the power in that hand for the rest of the fight and continuing to use it can cause it to be damaged for future fights. So much potential for a bare knuckle game, would be fun

If they're ever bringing it back, you can bet your ass EA is frontloading it with loads of Microtransactions, Loot Boxes, and On-Disc DLC.

Solid statement for 2014, but EA has been giving everything for free since the Star Wars...war of 2018.

Solid statement for 2014, but EA has been giving everything for free since the Star Wars...war of 2018.

Hahahahahahahahhahaha WHAT?

Mail me some of that dope you're smoking bro thats prime shit

My suggestions would be:

That would be sick, make it like GTA: Boxing

Like you got your full boxing game, and any moment you can venture out of the gym, upon where you are presented an entire city with varioous aparttments and houses you can buy, cars you can drive and etc, various minigames, and you can beat people up and run from the cops,maybe get sent to jail and have to put your career on hiatus

A next gen boxing game with those graphics would be sick especially since they could include Conor and they can include Canelo and Malignaggi and Ali and whoever they want. It would be awesome. Fight Night 2k20.

Licensing would be a bitch so I'm not sure if anyone would try to fund a AAA boxing game, but I think 2K with their career mode would be a better fit. They would nickel and dime you with loot boxes for boxing gloves/shorts and crib upgrades, but the product itself could be pretty decent and if they let you share creations like in WWE 2K then any gaps in the roster could be filled by the community.

Hahahahahahahahhahaha WHAT?

Mail me some of that dope you're smoking bro thats prime shit
Have you paid for any ea UFC fighters? (Not including ones you can just unlock on your own for free).

Star Wars BF2 got all DLC/characters free.

BFV...haven't paid a cent beyond the initial purchase, just got new modes and maps recently for free.

EA are in damage control, and are throwing everything in for free now (in the EA games I play). It's just an internet trope with the "EA makes you pay for everything." (Yes. They used to be shit....but who weren't? THQ made you pay money for Shaq in a UFC game lol).

The Fight Night game that launched or came out shortly after XBOX 360 launch is what sold me that next gen was here. If EA does it right, they should develop and time a new Fight Night to a new console launch and really showcase improved textures, lighting, facial expressions, blood and sweat physics, everything. Plus, boxing is back in the news more so than ever with the likes of Canelo Alvarez, Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury, and now with major Heavyweight upset with Ortiz KOing Joshua. EA should strike now while the iron is hot.

Back