Has DJ grown the courage to share an octagon with Dillishaw yet?

Reddd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has he even stated if he'll fight him now after the Cody fight happens?

Just because he got a flashy little arm bar doesn't mean that we all forgot about him going "Howard the duck" on us.

He has to fight Dillishaw to shake off that title. Otherwise it will live with him forever.

DJ has some legit wins Dodson, Horiguchi, Cejudo, Benavidez, but when it gets to the point where you're defending against Ray Borg it's time to move up.

He's gotten too comfortable, he has fought at 135 before, if he fought the winner of Cody/TJ and won he'd be the GOAT imo.

I at least think he can’t call himself goat after that. He did lose to Dom and Pickett and 135 so maybe they are goats.

Howard the duck
Nostalgic reference..

tenor.gif

DJ has some legit wins Dodson, Horiguchi, Cejudo, Benavidez, but when it gets to the point where you're defending against Ray Borg it's time to move up.

He's gotten too comfortable, he has fought at 135 before, if he fought the winner of Cody/TJ and won he'd be the GOAT imo.
Cejudo was green as fuck and Benavidez is the most overrated fighter in history. Dodson is a good win, Horiguchi is meh.

Mighty Mouse knows what he's doing, he'll push for Pettis next knowing he's not even close to his prime

MM would make so much more money fighting TJ or the Cruz rematch, plus no shame in losing to bigger fighters. Crazy that he doesn't move up.

You can't duck someone that hard and it just goes away.

He has to get that monkey off his back.

It's always amusing when people pretend like Mighty Mouse vs. TJ/Cody/Cruz 2 would turn MM into a megastar.

*Marginally* more people would watch that fight than a regular title fight at 125/135.

That's because if you actually care about MMA, you already watch (or at least appreciate) Mighty Mouse and the 135ers...if you watch MMA to see big/thick/robust sweaty muscular men...you still aren't going to get your fix.

It's always amusing when people pretend like Mighty Mouse vs. TJ/Cody/Cruz 2 would turn MM into a megastar.

*Marginally* more people would watch that fight than a regular title fight at 125/135.

That's because if you actually care about MMA, you already watch (or at least appreciate) Mighty Mouse and the 135ers...if you watch MMA to see big/thick/robust sweaty muscular men...you still aren't going to get your fix.
Who said anything close to DJ becoming a megastar? You're right, that thought is amusing. That's why no one said it.

Who said anything close to DJ becoming a megastar? You're right, that thought is amusing. That's why no one said it.

I'm maybe 30 percent trolling, but I've seen a number of people make the claim that if Mighty Mouse wants to get big buys/money, he has to "challenge himself at 135".

Which is fairly absurd. It wouldn't generate massive unique buys over and above what he routinely draws at 125 and what guys like TJ draw at 135. That's because the sticking point with the non-buyers is more related to size than competition in and of itself.

I think he knows that as well deep-down, which is why he doesn't seem to be in any particular hurry to do it...why bother taking on significantly more risk and damage if he isn't going to be proportionately compensated for it?

If the fight was going to be at 125lbs, DJ has no excuse for avoiding the fight.
If the fight was going to be at 135lbs, DJ has no obligation to fight.

I don't think it would make him into a megastar but I think it would advance his legacy significantly.

I think that should be motivation enough. It will help his career a bit, too.

MM would make so much more money fighting TJ or the Cruz rematch, plus no shame in losing to bigger fighters. Crazy that he doesn't move up.

First time he was offered a $0 pay increase + PPV points valued at roughly $1, so not sure how you figure he'd make SO much more.

If the fight was going to be at 125lbs, DJ has no excuse for avoiding the fight.
If the fight was going to be at 135lbs, DJ has no obligation to fight.
He had no obligation to do either since TJ isn't a FLW and in no way deserves a title shot at that weight.

I don't think it would make him into a megastar but I think it would advance his legacy significantly.

I think that should be motivation enough. It will help his career a bit, too.

It would improve his legacy (how could it not?), but like I've said in other threads, the expectations for Mighty Mouse are grossly uneven compared to other elite fighters.

The guy has already completely gutted an entire division, while going 14-2 (IIRC) at a weight class significantly higher than his natural weight class. No one else in history has done this. Most of the other elite legends in MMA history haven't even gone up at all, let alone for 16 fights, *let alone* beating the elites and GOATs at the next class up.

I agree that 125/135 lacks some depth and talent compared to the traditional divisions, but it certainly doesn't justify that type of discrepancy in respect compared to legends that are bigger sized (like GSP, Anderson, Jones, etc...).

If a fan is objective, unbiased, and not marked by homoerotic fixation on size, Mighty Mouse has already accomplished *way* more than is needed to have a legendary legacy.

Back