Has BJJ Stopped evolving for MMA?

After reading the thread, I'm 90% sure that this guy is actually JohnSouth. The lines about street fighting and being able to easily beat up women are almost identical. All that's missing are his fanciful tales of beating up black guys in teh streetz.

What's this some more conspiracy theories?

I'm 95% sure this was posted from your mom's basement.

You could always get a job but that's hard.

Go back and watch the fight guys.

Gus stopped Jones' take down attempts with double unders, just as I suggested earlier.

I kinda doubt it. JohnSouth was the dude who claimed he knew how to defend throws from 2-3 Judo classes, wasn't he? haha

Yes, and now he clowns D1 wrestlers in the gym without training any wrestling.

His views on athleicisim and explosiveness haven't changed either.

This is civil war.

Don't worry, Obama is bringing them here so you'll have the chance to see it all first hand.

He has made it abundantly clear who's side he is on.

You guys are starting to make the KKK and Hitler look like prophets.

Double unders and forcing your hips away is all it takes to defeat double leg takedowns, you don't even have to be a grappler.

To: Greg Jackson MMA, Kings MMA, ATT, Tri-Star

Thought of something you guys should be teaching your fighters immediately:

Double unders and forcing your hips away is all it takes to defeat double leg takedowns, you don't even have to be a grappler.

You're welcome.

Yours Truly,
TehGwarch​

I detailed that in the post you didn't read.

Honestly it's hard to determine if you lied or are severely challenged.
No, haven't lied and I've even admitted to embarrassing losses I've had,where i wrested and where i live, you just say oh I'm just a badass

you just trying to bring my insults back to me is funny, it's ok I'm done with you. Everyone agrees you're full of shit. Told ya if you're ever in TN hit me up, otherwise there's nothing else to say

Ugh, I forgot about those posts. I know the area johnsouth was from in ohio, all trailer park and a lot of racist white trash

hmm... you may be on to something.

Where do you streetfighters hang out where there is that much trouble? There is a difference between defending yourself and "looking for trouble" by wanting to fight anyone who mean mugs you.

On topic, as someone stated earlier, the rules such as time limits and judges thinking being on your back hinder BJJ in MMA. It doesn't give the BJJ player time to work. (although the longer a fight goes, and the sweatier fighters get, makes some submissions harder)

I also agree most BJJ schools do not teach enough take downs.

I also think tha the GJJ standing wristlocks, knife and gun defense is a good way to get seriously hurt in the real world. Those seem like some TMA stuff Helio came up with when he was teaching rich people who wouldn't get into a real fight anyway. I really can't even remember the last time I ws bearhugged from behind. Grade school, maybe?

Where do you streetfighters hang out where there is that much trouble? There is a difference between defending yourself and "looking for trouble" by wanting to fight anyone who mean mugs you.

Most definitely. In my case, it was usually the latter. I think a lot of people are like I was, too. It's why you see the football hooligans have their big interfirm clashes at the weekend and go back and work suit and tie jobs on Monday. It's why you see barfights and one-outs in the alley behind the pub.

Something in us just needs that release, or rush, when we're young. The intelligent men go and find that release in the gym, and on the mat. But some of us weren't that bright to begin with :)

The next generation of BJJ guys in MMA will be leglockers. It shuts down the wrestling aspect of MMA. They just have to have the complete package (Ryan Hall/Tonon/Held style) and not be a leglock or die guy (Palhares, well his fight against Shields proved he could go back to more "traditionnal" BJJ instead of focusing only on the leg).

But all in all the unified rules stopped BJJ much more than the "evolution of MMA". When you have strapped et gloved hands with 5 min rounds (white belt time rule for BJJ competition...) and ref standup when drunken meatheads from the public are booing...

The rules are better suited for the roided american wrestler/brawler.

MMA should be 10 or 15 minute round without any ref actions (when no fools are done).

The fourth post in this giant thread said most of what I was going to say.

Looking at Ryan Hall's and Gary Tonon's jiu-jitsu gives me the shivers (of appreciation). And I'm sure it's going to drive the evolution of jiu-jitsu in new directions

No, haven't lied and I've even admitted to embarrassing losses I've had,where i wrested and where i live, you just say oh I'm just a badass

you just trying to bring my insults back to me is funny, it's ok I'm done with you. Everyone agrees you're full of shit. Told ya if you're ever in TN hit me up, otherwise there's nothing else to say

You mean a bunch of knuckleheads on Sherdog who call people names and wont' discuss the topic, those guys? lol

I can see the level of discourse elevated through the stratosphere since I was earning a living and *gasp training.

Well good luck paying your mom rent this month, and your embarrassing losses. I can only imagine.

Everybody loses, but not everyone is a loser. Congratulations.

To: Greg Jackson MMA, Kings MMA, ATT, Tri-Star

Thought of something you guys should be teaching your fighters immediately:

You're welcome.

Yours Truly,
TehGwarch​

There ya go kid.

Double unders, like when Gus stuffed Jon Jones' takedowns.

Jon Jones has so many takedowns, so technical, but like all MMA wrestlers he just likes the one. lol

Go watch the tape and tell me it isn't so.

You wanna talk about fighting or speculate about me.

Last edited:
No need to get pissy guys and seriously, I hope you and this South character resolve your butthurt issues. I know you're upset and you wanna throw a fit, but remember, nobody cares.

Wrestling is ok for throwing a jab to get your opponent to lift his hands and shooting in, it has it's place - but in the clinch, Judo has more potential.

A lot of guys out there are walking around with a hammer thinking everything is a nail. Sometimes you need a screwdriver.

Sorry if that ruffled your feathers but it's not really THAT controversial.

I never said I can beat D1 wrestlers or beat up some black guys, take a step back and try not to lie so much.

If I respected most of you I would have lost that respect after this embarrassingly childish exchange but since I never did its no big loss. lol

Last edited:
You mean a bunch of knuckleheads on Sherdog who call people names and wont' discuss the topic, those guys? lol

I can see the level of discourse elevated through the stratosphere since I was earning a living and *gasp training.

Well good luck paying your mom rent this month, and your embarrassing losses. I can only imagine.

Everybody loses, but not everyone is a loser. Congratulations.

I live by myself 6 hours away from my parents.. I deliberately chose a college far away from my family so I could be independent and not get stuck in the trailer park ..and I have discussed the topics..and you won't see me making excuses about my losses like you..

You say I've resorted to insults...and you're trying to say I live with my mom, way to elevate the conversation:rolleyes:. And I told you, whenever you're in southeast tn...hit me up...otherwise I'm done with you.

No need to get pissy guys and seriously, I hope you and this South character resolve your butthurt issues. I know you're upset and you wanna throw a fit, but remember, nobody cares.

Wrestling is ok for throwing a jab to get your opponent to lift his hands and shooting in, it has it's place - but in the clinch, Judo has more potential.

A lot of guys out there are walking around with a hammer thinking everything is a nail. Sometimes you need a screwdriver.

Sorry if that ruffled your feathers but it's not really THAT controversial.

I never said I can beat D1 wrestlers or beat up some black guys, take a step back and try not to lie so much.

If I respected most of you I would have lost that respect after this embarrassingly childish exchange but since I never did its no big loss. lol
You said multiple times you beat D1 wrestlers and throw them after I said it's obvious you haven't trained with any high level wrestlers ...but hey Jon Jones only wins because of his reach...go in there and beat him up.

You said multiple times you beat D1 wrestlers and throw them after I said it's obvious you haven't trained with any high level wrestlers ...but hey Jon Jones only wins because of his reach...go in there and beat him up.

No, I said I trained and competed with and against high school and college trained wrestlers of similar training experience and do very respectably despite having no wrestling background.

It's not all that controversial, double unders work to stop shots, just like Gus did to Jones. Then I have my counters...

Just for the record I never claimed to beat D1 wrestlers, I'd probably get badly outworked. That is your claim and a very bold lie on your part. Shame on you.

But that's not comparing apples to apples, I'm a recreational player well past his prime.

Why does it take a D1 wrestler to beat me? You mock high school and "not serous enough" college wrestlers as not worthy, someone else called me "sandbagger". This is "no true scotsman" fallacy, it's bullshit.

Now you challenge me to "beat up" Jon Jones. Did you remember to beat up every fighter you criticized?

I guess if I don't like a movie I have to make a better one or shut up because you said so...lol

Last edited:
I live by myself 6 hours away from my parents.. I deliberately chose a college far away from my family so I could be independent and not get stuck in the trailer park ..and I have discussed the topics..and you won't see me making excuses about my losses like you..

You say I've resorted to insults...and you're trying to say I live with my mom, way to elevate the conversation:rolleyes:. And I told you, whenever you're in southeast tn...hit me up...otherwise I'm done with you.

You insult me I'll insult you, that's the deal kid. Treat people with respect and they'll respect you.

You guys have behaved like animals here, accused me of being some guy I've never met, put words in my mouth I didn't say...

I've tried to keep a good sense of humor about it...but honestly, I'm embarrassed for you.

This behavior is worse than any loss.

Last edited:
I know that some people believe that UFC 1 proved that traditional martial arts are ineffective in real life. But in reality, all it did was show a hole in traditional martial arts. As UFC's continued, in less than a decade, BJJ was no longer king. Wrestlers were learning how defend submissions. Strikers were learning how to stuff takedowns. So while UFC 1 exposed the fact that most martial arts have no ground game, modern MMA is exposing the fact that BJJ has no stand up game. And that, in my opinion, is a problem.

I remember there was a time where maybe 50% of black belts dreamed of testing themselves in MMA. The Nog bros even ditched the gi for a while. There was a time where guys wanted to represent BJJ as a martial art that was still relevant. But what's the current role of BJJ in MMA? Watching Feijao have a pretty useless guard against OSP tells me. It's supplemental. It's not treated as essential. It's not your rifle. It's not even your side arm. It's your knife. It's like a last resort. A forgotten tool unless the opportunity presents itself.

Even when it's used, it's mostly just the same basic stuff that we've seen for years. Meanwhile, BJJ players are evolving the art at a rapid rate in a sport context. Sitting straight to their butts. Spinning upside down, pulling pants, and tying the gi in knots. I notice that the new BJJ dream isn't to compete in MMA. It's to win medals and open a school.

So all of this leads me to ask, has BJJ stopped evolving for MMA? Is this it? BJJ has reached it's maximum potential as a martial art in MMA? There is nothing else that can be done to improve its effectiveness? It really makes me wonder if BJJ really is the ultimate martial art or if it really is more of a back up plan.

I almost feel like boxing would be a better martial art to learn.
BJJ is still effective, many fighters don't adapt it to MMA effectively though.

There's guys out there like Werdum, Jacare and Maia though that are dangerous anywhere on the ground.

Back