Has Ben Askren Had One Of The Most Wasted Careers In MMA?

ChosenMMA

Part Of DC Nation & The Cruz & Velasquez Wagon
@purple
Reaction score
I am talking in terms of competing to the best level of peers that can match his level, I ask this because of the amount of times I come across videos online of names in UFC talking about how good he is etc.

Here is one I just came across, Chael Sonnen talks practise room story of Askren & Woodley

He barely fights now, he was rumoured to fight Santos in a rematch in December but never fought at all & is really wasting his prime years away considering he was just dominating during his Bellator title reign, fair enough Koreshkov was roar as hell but he made him look awful in there, had a good win over Lima, those guys are the top guys at Bellator now.

His ONE FC run has been lackluster, looked poor against Santos and he tried to be more fan friendly against Aleksakhin with striking but it was still lackluster.

He should have been in the UFC, yes he hasn't got the style to market, but obviously gets well paid for fighting over in Asia for ONE.

maxresdefault.jpg

My god that is "One" ugly ass belt. lol

At least he's fighting. CMcG is spending a year of his prime in Lamaze class.

He's up there, but it's not like he didn't try to get into the UFC.

There are also a few question marks about guys like Cole Konrad.

At least he's fighting. CMcG is spending a year of his prime in Lamaze class.
The guy has had 3 fights since August 2014. In that time Conor has had 7 fights and won 2 belts (3 if you count the interim).

I think I personally had the biggest waste of a career. I never made it to the UFC and now post on Sherdog. Go fund me.

Vitaly Minakov is right up there with him.

I just want to see him against a top tier fighter.

Damn I wish Askren was in the UFC.

There are actually a bunch of really good 170ers that aren't in the UFC that could easily shake up the top ten.

Daley, MVP, palhares, Fitch, Rory, Okami and Askren are some names.

Not as wasted as his singing career.

Absolutely in terms of competition. He certainly won't call it wasted but from the outside-in, while it's great to hear him or Marlon Moraes over in WSOF claim they're more than happy where they are with the payout. But the fan in me just wants them to face suitable competition.

Well it really depends how you judge what success means in an MMA career.

Has he thrown away the chance to be widely regarded as one of the best fighters in the world? Yea totally, although its not really his fault because the UFC showed no interest in him.

However, he makes way more per fight in ONE FC than he ever would have in the UFC without winning a belt. So if its just based on how much he gets paid then yea its a successful career.

Yup Askren and Minakov are wasted high level talents, and One Championship sucks.

Back