Has anyone here been to a UFC Gym ?

Spending time in the War Room I see
I keep to Training discussion and Mayberry. I tried war room but it's not really my flavor.

What else would one call this 'training'?
"which means having an 250+ musclebound instructor in your face screaming at you that your girlfriend is fucking ugly and you're a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and he's going to rape her and then randomly stabbing you with an electrified practice knife that you didn't know he had."

I keep to Training discussion and Mayberry. I tried war room but it's not really my flavor.

"which means having an 250+ musclebound instructor in your face screaming at you that your girlfriend is fucking ugly and you're a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and he's going to rape her and then randomly stabbing you with an electrified practice knife that you didn't know he had."
keeping-it-real-col.png

If you are looking to get in shape they are good. If you are looking for technical instruction they generally are not good, more cardio based (some have muay thai or jiu jitsu instructors come in and do guest classes). One thing "fighters" may like about UFC gyms is it generally has a walk in any time policy so if you go when there are no classes going on you can have a whole bunch of heavy bags and equipment to yourself do work out on your own.

It's called "woofing" and is pretty standard practice for self defense. When you have a boxing match, you may or may not get an adrenaline dump, but it's a 'controlled' dump. You're expecting it and are ready to deal with it. Nothing like seeing a gun pulled on you for the first time.

Anyway, I don't want to harp on this. The subject comes up once every couple months, and a bunch of 20 year olds think self defense is an unarmed solitary mugging approaching them in a dark alley based on their experience of drunken bar fights. :)

Only reason I continue posting this stuff is so people who have never trained before have at least heard it once that martial arts are bad for self defense.

Fluffball out.

It's called "woofing" and is pretty standard practice for self defense. When you have a boxing match, you may or may not get an adrenaline dump, but it's a 'controlled' dump. You're expecting it and are ready to deal with it. Nothing like seeing a gun pulled on you for the first time.

Anyway, I don't want to harp on this. The subject comes up once every couple months, and a bunch of 20 year olds think self defense is an unarmed solitary mugging approaching them in a dark alley based on their experience of drunken bar fights. :)

Only reason I continue posting this stuff is so people who have never trained before have at least heard it once that martial arts are bad for self defense.

Fluffball out.

Thanks for explaining.

Fluffball out.

Lol... No one is saying it's not a possibility that there are 20+ guys all with guns, bats, and knives waiting around the corner to unexpectedly stab you and rape your mother... But there are many types of self defense situations, and almost all of them fall closer to the other end of the spectrum. To make a claim like "martial arts is bad for self defense" is retarded and I'm sure most if not all of us can attest for it working in a self defense situation.

Lol... No one is saying it's not a possibility that there are 20+ guys all with guns, bats, and knives waiting around the corner to unexpectedly stab you and rape your mother... But there are many types of self defense situations, and almost all of them fall closer to the other end of the spectrum. To make a claim like "martial arts is bad for self defense" is retarded and I'm sure most if not all of us can attest for it working in a self defense situation.
Its varies also, its not always someone packing (depends on where you are), and if you happened to be surrounded by 5-6+ dudes who are all packing machetes and pistols + bad intentions, you dun goofed badly somewhere.

I agree there are many types of self defense situations, and zero percent of them involve a 1v1 with a guy you saw coming and asked you to fight. That's just a street fight and that's retarded. Reality based self defense trains you for all the other scenarios.

Martial arts are to self defense as Olympic skeet shooting is to doing a tour in Afghanistan. It's related and very useful, but ultimately doesn't prepare you at all.

Do you, without thinking about it and without being under an adrenaline dump, know how the student in the knife video should have reacted?

These scenarios you present remind of the video game double dragon.

I agree there are many types of self defense situations, and zero percent of them involve a 1v1 with a guy you saw coming and asked you to fight. That's just a street fight and that's retarded. Reality based self defense trains you for all the other scenarios.

Martial arts are to self defense as Olympic skeet shooting is to doing a tour in Afghanistan. It's related and very useful, but ultimately doesn't prepare you at all.

Do you, without thinking about it and without being under an adrenaline dump, know how the student in the knife video should have reacted?
Gotten the fuck away from the wall and ran or kicked the guy in the nuts and elbowed him on the bridge of his nose as soon as he started aggressing him.

Preemptively neutralize threats.

Never let anyone into your space if you can without knowing where their hands are and what they have in them.

That drill is totally unrealistic. You'd have to have a Spartan type full protection suit to give the attacked the open theater to respond effectively.

So that school is teaching garbage just like a McDojo because the kid couldn't defend himself without putting the instructor in the hospital.

Someone comes at you with lethal force you r green light to respond with all tactical responses at your disposal. Just remember once the threat is neutralized you are subject to the same penalties as your assailant.

So that school is teaching garbage just like a McDojo because the kid couldn't defend himself without putting the instructor in the hospital.

I think the guy was just making a point. If this were a real self defense class you're right, the instructor would be wearing a suit (and force wouldn't even be the required outcome of the drill, you could de-escalate while controlling your emotions or whatever you were working on). I only linked it because I knew it existed and illustrated the basics of an "interview" and "woofing".

The kid wasn't supposed to respond, and I imagine the instructor selected him for a very specific reason. He's leaning timidly with both palms behind his back against the wall when we first see him.

You have obviously never seen someone attacked and sucker punched in a 1v1 fight then. Since the victim totally isn't in a self defense situation. I don't know where you are getting your ideas from, but your ideas of self defense and martial arts are pretty dramatic

You have obviously never seen someone attacked and sucker punched in a 1v1 fight then.

Sure I have, happened all the time in grade school. If you're 12, martial arts are great for fighting on the playground. If I sucker punched someone today I'd get ganked by the 5 guys they were hanging out with.

I used to go to some pretty shady bars waaay back in the day, so I stupidly got to watch a bunch of drunken brawls which is what most 20 somethings think of when they think "self defense". Even in that ridiculous scenario that is 100% your fault for putting yourself in the situation, they were NEVER 1v1 with no weapons. Friends or bystanders got involved, weapons were picked up. Hell I saw one guy with a baseball bat in a bar brawl, no idea where that even came from.

I keep letting myself get suckered into these stupid conversations. Ok this time I'm really out, haha. No more.

I think the guy was just making a point. If this were a real self defense class you're right, the instructor would be wearing a suit (and force wouldn't even be the required outcome of the drill, you could de-escalate while controlling your emotions or whatever you were working on). I only linked it because I knew it existed and illustrated the basics of an "interview" and "woofing".

The kid wasn't supposed to respond, and I imagine the instructor selected him for a very specific reason. He's leaning timidly with both palms behind his back against the wall when we first see him.
I did kinda chuckle when he starts escalating in front of the kid. First thought was what if he rabbited and whooped him in the nuts, LOL!

It's impossible having 360 vigilance but when you narrow down the potential threat pool it gets more manageable. There's a limited amount of people of the right age, physique and more important, mentality to count as a potential lethal assailant. Your right the "bar room brawl" is always avoidable "street fights" are the equivalent of school yard scuffles and "at will" participation.

If a guy wants your wallet or watch, that's really all he's after, not risking a potential murder beef chasing him the rest of his life. My experience from serving two years at an inner city shelter is people with outstandings,.active's and ex cons settle down real quick when reminded they're a pop away from entering the system.

So your "self defense" comes down to the random psycho killer and how common is that?

The only other scenario is if you're in high value protection detail, active duty, LEO or criminal muscle and then you've chosen to put yourself in harms way.

Self defense will ALWAYS involve more than one opponent and/or weapons. Martial arts are mostly useless for that. You need 6 month-ish total of boxing and wrestling.

What you want is a fun martial art, so I recommend just finding a cheap one. TKD is a LOT of fun and can be really cheap, and it's good for your girlfriend since it requires a lot of flexibility, so she'll be naturally good at it.

If you want to prepare for getting jumped by 4 guys with knives, you're looking for "reality based self defense". You can train for it, but I guarantee you it's not what you and your girlfriend are looking for. It's unpleasant training, and frankly kind of scary, mentally. Part of the training involves building the right mind set which means having an 250+ musclebound instructor in your face screaming at you that your girlfriend is fucking ugly and you're a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and he's going to rape her and then randomly stabbing you with an electrified practice knife that you didn't know he had. You spend time talking about when you are personally comfortable with killing people. It's not a fun thing to do with your girl.

Edit: Or maybe the UFC gym is fun for you, my point was self defense should not be a factor in the decision. Take it for fun and money reasons IMO.

Please stfu you cuck. Enough of your bs movie scenarios. Most fights are 1 on 1 unarmed combat. How often is someone going to come at you with a knife or bat? What kind of position are you putting yourself in Tf? Watching too many movies :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. This isn't james bond. Even if you had a bat a professional boxer would still shatter your teeth ya cunt

Also: getting jumped by 4 guys with knives... what in the actual fuck. How much coke are you on

So I've seen a UFC Gym before and I was curious about the Monthly Membership Fees. Also does anyone have any Experience going to one of those UFC Gyms. What is the training like? Im mainly just doing it to get in shape, me and my gf and learn a little self defense/Technique nothing that serious.

My first gym ever, was a crappy little boxing gym in the ghetto, from there on, I went to Chute Boxe, then The Yard Muay Thai in Downtown L.A., I've been going to gyms with great instructors, not the best looking gyms, but the best gyms in my opinion, for becoming a serious fighter.

Then I went to a UFC gym when I moved to a nicer more suburban area, it was right next to me, so I'd figure I'd check it out. It was a sad experience. Instructors didn't know diddly squat, one could barely kick and was teaching a huge class of 50/50 women/men how to do a low kick on a punching bag, incorrectly, that was basically a huge part of that class. No one there really wants to spar or train, except for one or two guys who aren't all there in the head, and always make it into a full blown fight when sparring (which was the only fun part of the gym sadly). Everyone there is just trying to impress the soccer MILFs and cater to them, no one takes it seriously as a MMA gym. The UFC gym is in a weird place in the fitness business, stuck between an aerobics kickboxing class, a chain fitness gym, and an MMA gym. Good thing they had a promotional week that I could come in for free, needless to say, I didn't go there again after the third day.

To sum it up, the place caters to soccer moms, douchebag (I trane UFC) bros, and suckers who're gonna lose a lot of money for no real instruction.

Went to one for a few months b/c it was close to where I worked. My goals were mostly to work cardio, not to learn to fight. I have experience in BJJ, judo, and kickboxing, fwiw. Can't say how it would be for other locations, but here's my feedback for the one I went to:

- Cardio kickboxing/boxing classes are pretty good. They'll have you working on the bag or doing some sorts of calisthenics. You will definitely work up a sweat.
- Instructors were pretty knowledgeable. Most instructors were either pro or ammy MMA fighters, or at least had boxing or kickboxing fights under their records. The coaches doing BJJ or MMA were at least brown or black belt level.
- If you want to get better at technique, you really have to ask the instructors specific questions during sidebars in the group classes. The average class member is going to suck; you won't be learning much from each other. That said, if you do seek them out, they can give you pretty good advice. I had a question about footwork and pivoting and the instructor worked with me afterward to help break it down.
- Back to class mates, a lot of them will suck! I did a few light sparring sessions and with a couple years of kickboxing experience I was WAAAYY ahead of anyone I sparred with besides the instructors.

Anyway, that's my take. I'm sure YMMV, but all in all it's a good place to get a work out and learn some things if you aren't serious about competing.

Back