Has anyone here been to a UFC Gym ?

AliBagaooteenov

Imagine a Prime Yoel Romero Poundin yo Old Lady
Banned
Reaction score
So I've seen a UFC Gym before and I was curious about the Monthly Membership Fees. Also does anyone have any Experience going to one of those UFC Gyms. What is the training like? Im mainly just doing it to get in shape, me and my gf and learn a little self defense/Technique nothing that serious.

Haven't been inside, but at the Portland MMA show I went to, a guy actually came fighting out of UFC gym and not only decisively won his match, but looked good doing it.

I'm sure it'll be fine, as long as the instructors hired there have actual experience in MMA, bjj, boxing, wrestling, (whichever one they're teaching) as is standard for other MMA gyms.

For your goals it should be fine. Lots of fitness types there. I'm sure you could get better instruction and cardio finding another gym though

I never been to one but someone in my gym has and he said it's all cardio. Kind of like boxercise is for boxing. I'm not surprised. They don't train real fighters there. You might learn some real techniques but it's all cardio.

As for getting in shape, it would serve it's purpose. As for self defense, I think you would want to look elsewhere.

I think there may be some variance in each gym but the one I know of has instructors who were pro fighters from legit gyms. It tends to be more cardio-based though but you will still learn technique.

The ufc gyms in lake forest and aliso viejo, California are good. Coach Earl for jiu jitsu and coach Mark and Blake for striking. They seem pretty legit to me, but I'm still a beginner.

It's going to depend on the coaches.

I never been to one but someone in my gym has and he said it's all cardio. Kind of like boxercise is for boxing. I'm not surprised. They don't train real fighters there. You might learn some real techniques but it's all cardio.

As for getting in shape, it would serve it's purpose. As for self defense, I think you would want to look elsewhere.
This is my exp. with the one here as well. When I passed by a few years back, it was a large group class with a meathead teaching shit form. 1,2,3,kick was the drill, and the straights were like bad hooks, and the kick threw him off balance nearly falling over.

For what its worth its a very nice facility though, kinda envious their apparal store is larger than some legit gyms here. There used to be a Tapout training centre in a few cities over, and it was the same: top facility, but not a competition gym

But I guess it might differ from location to location like Karatefoo says

So I've seen a UFC Gym before and I was curious about the Monthly Membership Fees. Also does anyone have any Experience going to one of those UFC Gyms. What is the training like? Im mainly just doing it to get in shape, me and my gf and learn a little self defense/Technique nothing that serious.

If you're doing it just for getting in shape with the mostly pointless goal of learning a little self defense, find some extremely cheap karate or TKD school and see if it's any fun. Some TKD schools are close to free, like 30 bucks a month or etc., and they tend to have a lot of classes.

Martial arts in general suck for self defense, but even the worst karate school is going to teach you how to throw a solid punch.

If you're doing it just for getting in shape with the mostly pointless goal of learning a little self defense, find some extremely cheap karate or TKD school and see if it's any fun. Some TKD schools are close to free, like 30 bucks a month or etc., and they tend to have a lot of classes.

Martial arts in general suck for self defense, but even the worst karate school is going to teach you how to throw a solid punch.
Kickboxing is bad for self defense ?

Actually there are some real fighters that train there but youre rightmostly boxercise. I guess it really depends on each gym who they have as instructors. So no one jere knows about the prices ?

Kickboxing is bad for self defense ?

Ya, ultimately. It can good for beating up a single untrained opponent, but how often do you need to do that? Self involves multiple people and weapons. Kickboxing is good for fights after school with the girls watching.

You need a solid punch and some basic grappling, anything else is purely for your own enjoyment.

Ya, ultimately. It can good for beating up a single untrained opponent, but how often do you need to do that? Self involves multiple people and weapons. Kickboxing is good for fights after school with the girls watching.

You need a solid punch and some basic grappling, anything else is purely for your own enjoyment.
Im a little confused by your posts.

Im a little confused by your posts.

Self defense will ALWAYS involve more than one opponent and/or weapons. Martial arts are mostly useless for that. You need 6 month-ish total of boxing and wrestling.

What you want is a fun martial art, so I recommend just finding a cheap one. TKD is a LOT of fun and can be really cheap, and it's good for your girlfriend since it requires a lot of flexibility, so she'll be naturally good at it.

If you want to prepare for getting jumped by 4 guys with knives, you're looking for "reality based self defense". You can train for it, but I guarantee you it's not what you and your girlfriend are looking for. It's unpleasant training, and frankly kind of scary, mentally. Part of the training involves building the right mind set which means having an 250+ musclebound instructor in your face screaming at you that your girlfriend is fucking ugly and you're a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and he's going to rape her and then randomly stabbing you with an electrified practice knife that you didn't know he had. You spend time talking about when you are personally comfortable with killing people. It's not a fun thing to do with your girl.

Edit: Or maybe the UFC gym is fun for you, my point was self defense should not be a factor in the decision. Take it for fun and money reasons IMO.

Last edited:
Self defense will ALWAYS involve more than one opponent and/or weapons. Martial arts are mostly useless for that. You need 6 month-ish total of boxing and wrestling.

What you want is a fun martial art, so I recommend just finding a cheap one. TKD is a LOT of fun and can be really cheap, and it's good for your girlfriend since it requires a lot of flexibility, so she'll be naturally good at it.

If you want to prepare for getting jumped by 4 guys with knives, you're looking for "reality based self defense". You can train for it, but I guarantee you it's not what you and your girlfriend are looking for. It's unpleasant training, and frankly kind of scary, mentally. Part of the training involves building the right mind set which means having an 250+ musclebound instructor in your face screaming at you that your girlfriend is fucking ugly and you're a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and he's going to rape her and then randomly stabbing you with an electrified practice knife that you didn't know he had. You spend time talking about when you are personally comfortable with killing people. It's not a fun thing to do with your girl.

Edit: Or maybe the UFC gym is fun for you, my point was self defense should not be a factor in the decision. Take it for fun and money reasons IMO.
Lmfao I don't think you have been in a street fight or self defense situation before. You watch too much tv or something lool

Boxing and wrestling

Or MT and judo

All good for self defense

So is some kick boxing, anything without to restrictive rules and continuous sparring - no point karate or Tkd (although Tkd is fun IMO).

The UFC gyms sound crap from what others have posted. May as well do the ufc workout on the Kinect Xbox.

Lol cuck

Lmfao I don't think you have been in a street fight or self defense situation before. You watch too much tv or something lool

On the contrary, I have a giant scar on my face from getting attacked by multiple opponents with weapons. The idea that you can martial arts you way out of that is the biggest con job of our sport, and it gets pretty old to read about some 23 year old boxer who thinks he knows a damn thing about self defense.

For about 10 years I was really into the whole reality based self defense stuff, but after a certain point it's just not healthy. You need to learn and think about things up to a certain point and then let it go. I only train for fun now, which is why I prefer MMA type styles or gyms.

May as well do the ufc workout on the Kinect Xbox.
emoji2_zpsmz1yhevx.png

Spending time in the War Room I see

Back