Has anyone here actually beaten Diablo II on the hardest difficulty?

Brom Bones

Where's that little soy boy, bitch Ichabod?
@Black
Reaction score
There have only been 2 games I've tried to beat on the hardest difficulty, but wasn't able to. Diablo 2 and Legend of Zelda (2nd quest). After beating D2 on the second hardest, I was in the field and having a hard time. Went to a cave and got destroyed. Tried to kill the bow and arrow girl... wasn't happening. Gave up after that. That shit was ridiculously hard.

I was stuck on Mephisto hell mode. Getting to him was a bitch in itself. One of those deformed priests thingy would release lightning sparks whenever you hit him and it would often kill me with 2 fucking sparks.

Lol seriously? D2 was an easy game. Beat it like 20 times. Get some better gear

Yes, with every character class, some multiple times with different builds. The thing is you have to plan for Hell difficulty from the very beginning. You need to focus on the few skills that remain viable at that level and focus on resistances. 75 resistance across or close to is a must in Hell.

I'm sure I must have at some point in multiplayer with one of my level 99 barbarians. Not sure about any of my other classes, like my necro, druid or sorceress. Never really played the other three classes.

But I have to say, after so many years I'm not actually certain.

It's pretty easy actually. Just make a fireball/frozen orb sorc. Summon necros, lightning/poison javazons, and wind druids also can beat it easy.

When you first enter hell mode in D2, it is very difficult. But with levels and items it is super easy. Fundamentally D2 is a loot hunting game. You have to farm certain areas to get better loot to move on.

You need a proper build too. I am embarrassed to admit, but the first time I played D2 decades ago, I build a necromancer and ran around hitting shit. I died a lot having no idea I was supposed to use summons to do my bidding.

Lmao what a Noob. Build a Frozen Orb/Meteor Sorc and win.

I remember 1.04 being pretty difficult. Game was super easy with Lord of Destruction. Lance barbs everywhere.

There have only been 2 games I've tried to beat on the hardest difficulty, but wasn't able to. Diablo 2 and Legend of Zelda (2nd quest). After beating D2 on the second hardest, I was in the field and having a hard time. Went to a cave and got destroyed. Tried to kill the bow and arrow girl... wasn't happening. Gave up after that. That shit was ridiculously hard.

yep with a barb and pally

Yes, with every character class, some multiple times with different builds. The thing is you have to plan for Hell difficulty from the very beginning. You need to focus on the few skills that remain viable at that level and focus on resistances. 75 resistance across or close to is a must in Hell.
Exactly, you don't just jump into Hell difficulty, you gotta prep for it in Nightmare.

its easy if you have enough gear or pick a cheese build like zeal paladin

Why not just try to complete Path of Exile? it's way more rewarding and the game is actually active.

Exactly, you don't just jump into Hell difficulty, you gotta prep for it in Nightmare.

For some of my character builds Normal was harder then Nightmare just because of saving skill points for higher level skills to use later on. I guess they changed that later with a patch that put in a bunch of synergies, but I never moved to that patch.

When you first enter hell mode in D2, it is very difficult. But with levels and items it is super easy. Fundamentally D2 is a loot hunting game. You have to farm certain areas to get better loot to move on.

You need a proper build too. I am embarrassed to admit, but the first time I played D2 decades ago, I build a necromancer and ran around hitting shit. I died a lot having no idea I was supposed to use summons to do my bidding.

I always loved playing as the necromancer but god damn was there a plateau in improvement at some point and were talking dead every time things got hairy.

Where is best to farm? Going to hell and its shops absolutely fucking sucked, so i had to stay at the level just before it. Sooner rather than later, i just said FUCK THIS, i got bored and realized im getting frustrated as all hell, fighting the same assholes all over again, getting junk, in a game ive already beaten on an easier lvl.

On max difficulty doesn't every enemy have at least one immunity? That's some bullshit.

On max difficulty doesn't every enemy have at least one immunity? That's some bullshit.

Yup, and one of those could be to physical damage. So every build had to have at least two types of damage to get through Hell. Plus god save you soul if you met a Super Unique Enemy that was immune to both of you attacks.

I always loved playing as the necromancer but god damn was there a plateau in improvement at some point and were talking dead every time things got hairy.

Where is best to farm? Going to hell and its shops absolutely fucking sucked, so i had to stay at the level just before it. Sooner rather than later, i just said FUCK THIS, i got bored and realized im getting frustrated as all hell, fighting the same assholes all over again, getting junk, in a game ive already beaten on an easier lvl.

You might not like this game them. End game of Diablo 2 is farming for days/weeks/months at a time to achieve better gear. Some of the Runeword items are absurdely difficult to make, especially solo without trading. I played D2 for years and never saw a Zod rune drop.

Most people farm mephisto, diablo, and baal to get loot to move on to hell mode. Some builds can do it without much gear such as a blizzard sorceress or meteor sorceress (fire meteors and frozen orb). Sorceress is one of the best first characters because she has teleport to move around, and she can farm some of the bosses easily.

Necromancer is also very easy to use in Hell mode as you can just let skeletons tank for you. Corpse explosion is one of the most OP spells ever in any game. Once your skeleton army takes done even just one enemy, you can explode its corpse and start a chain reaction to wipe the entire room.

Once you enter Hell mode, you need to make sure you have high resists. You can farm The Pit in the first act fairly easily and get some nice drops.

Back