Has anyone ever have a close call with a deer?

If by close call you mean, jumped sleeping deer within 2-3 feet of were i was walking, shot them, smashed through them with my car/truck, and helped free trapped deer from fence, then yes. I've had a few close calls.

Facinating, and surprisingly intelligent animals.

I've almost slammed into deer many times on my mountain bike rides.

I've never had a very close call with a deer in a car but did have one while riding on a bicycle. It ran along in the ditch then veered across in front of me. I usually see their eyes at night in a car. I saw one in the passing lane on the interstate many years ago. I was driving about 80 mph and slowed. A car behind me didn't see it and hit the deer. For a few seconds, the deer was going the same speed as I was, about 70 miles per hour.

Yeah, I hit one with my car a few years back. Funniest thing ever, just bounced off my bumper, died on the side of the road.

There’s a fairly large patch of woods with a creek in between my house and the highway so we see the same deer everyday. They pretty much come within 15 feet of my patio on their daily walk looking for food.

Never get aggressive but the bucks have large antlers.

I’m more worried about the raccoons that ravage the trash every night. The other day I was sitting on the patio and heard rustling behind me, thought it was the deer but it was a coon in broad daylight.

had a moose charge me but i had some stairs to go up onto a deck to escape.

also this

True story.

My cousin just grabbed this pic this weekend with her husband on the trail they were hiking in Osoyoos with a big group. She said it just sauntered out about 20 feet from them. Crossed and went on its way.

Cougar sightings are becoming more common there.

35358142_10160624802105220_6113730614068772864_n.jpg

People have reported seeing cougars in Wisconsin for many years but the Department of Natural Resources claimed there weren't any in the State and people were seeing domestic cats. Then people started using trail cameras and getting pictures. The DNR first claimed the pictures were from other states until the areas were positively identified as being in Wisconsin. Then they said that one animal had crossed the state and happened to walk in front of trail cameras in various areas. Somebody treed one and called the DNR in to witness it. They finally had to admit that they are in Wisconsin. Many raccoon and bear hunters have reported their dogs have treed cougars while hunting.

One of our office guys was backing out of his driveway one morning and a deer that must have been running down the road hit the side of the van, breaking a window. He didn't hit a deer, he got hit by a deer.

I live on the main street of a small town. We get deer in our backyard a lot, they usually just chill and eat leaves. I was walking home one day and this car was heading my way, I was walking towards traffic on the sidewalk. All of the sudden a fucking deer bolts from the other side of the street just past an SUV. I put my hands up like "What the fuck" and the woman in the passenger seat did the same thing. Funny but they were so close to hitting it, I don't know what I would have done.

I was hiking once and a mother deer with two baby deer walked directly in front of me on the trail. It was crazy because I somehow didn’t see them coming from my right, but suddenly it was right in front of me, less than an arm lengths distance. We both looked at each other like “Woe! Where the Fuck did you come from?!”

Then it, and it’s babies, trotted infront of me on the trail for about 3 yards, then back into the forest. In hindsight, I’m glad it didn’t consider me a threat and kick me or something.

Lol. i’ve eaten Bambi’s mother/father/uncle/aunt and then ate Bambi. That sack of intestines and stomach you came across in the woods is from people like us who gutted them in the forest.

I've never had a very close call with a deer in a car but did have one while riding on a bicycle. It ran along in the ditch then veered across in front of me. I usually see their eyes at night in a car. I saw one in the passing lane on the interstate many years ago. I was driving about 80 mph and slowed. A car behind me didn't see it and hit the deer. For a few seconds, the deer was going the same speed as I was, about 70 miles per hour.
Many years ago late at night I was driving in a rural area and following behind a pick up truck. Suddenly out the shoulder of the road I see this almost invisible blur off to my left and it bolts onto the road and full speed and runs head long into the pickup trucks back quarter panel making a pretty huge dent but then it continued, wobbled, as the truck passed.

it was a real big buck in full flight (likely from some predator) and it hit the truck with massive force. I am sure the deer died from that impact soon after or the predator, if still tracking had some easy prey.

The pick up truck stopped about 100 meters after and had no idea what had happened. I pulled over as well to tell him as he likely thought maybe I bumped him from the rear or something as we were the only ones on the road. I told him about the deer and the dent was obvious and there was blood on his truck. I also gave him my card should his insurance dispute it.

Thing was that the fur of that deer perfectly absorbed my headlights. I really could not see the deer at all as it ran out right in front of me as the fur absorbed all my headlight. I could only make out the outline by the contrast it made with the rest of the background. If those buggers don't turn and face so you get that eye shine they are near invisible at night. Obviously that is an evolutionary trait so that moonlight does not see night predators picking them off.

Back