Has anyone ever have a close call with a deer?

One of the only bucks I’ve ever seen, and the first one I’d seen to that point, ran up beside my driver’s side window and cut right in front of my truck one morning about 5 am.

I have a friend who’s husband survived 2 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan only to return home and be killed by a deer.

One of the only bucks I’ve ever seen, and the first one I’d seen to that point, ran up beside my driver’s side window and cut right in front of my truck one morning about 5 am.

I have a friend who’s husband survived 2 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan only to return home and be killed by a deer.

Damn, sorry to hear. Car accident?

THey have signs that say "Don't veer for Deer" all around here.

I used to live next to a forest preserve in Chicago and I've almost hit a couple of them in my car.

Sometimes people actually die when they hit a deer, cows too, because its top heavy so it rolls up on your hood and goes through your windshield and hits you.

This is of course the genius that covered himself in deer urine to provoke an attack and have his friend film it....well, he got what he wanted

SQwG9CQ.gif

255-ko.gif

Sometimes people actually die when they hit a deer, cows too, because its top heavy so it rolls up on your hood and goes through your windshield and hits you.

there were 47,000 deer - vehicle crashes in Michigan with 11 deaths in 2015.

In 2016, right after I got my brand new Lexus, my wife and I wanted to take it for a drive at night. I wanted a winding road with nobody on it so I could floor it and take some curves.

So we drove out of town, down into Galt (between Sacramento and Stockton). I took Twin Rivers road and headed east. It was fucking pitch black out there. I was driving a bit fast and I’m the distance saw something on the road. I thought it was just a paper bag or something. I can up on it really fast and realized it was a deer at the last second. I slammed on my brakes and swerved out of the way. Luckily, it ran the opposite direction.

Yep, someone died because of that on one of the same streets I almost hit one.

Yeah. On my commute to work I've had more than one close call. Basically amounts to me driving at normal rate and a deer coming out of nowhere and darting across the street a few meters in front of me. Pretty crazy. You see a lot of them north of New York city actually- you could be on a highway around this time of year and see them in the grass beyond the shoulder frequently.

As for their aggressiveness, yeah they are no doubt dangerous. One time about twelve years ago, I was at home with my family and a deer just randomly was trotting down our residential, suburban street. It was just so surreal. Our neighbors across the street at the time had two small but noisy dogs who barked a lot. They smelled and spotted the deer and started barking with more than usual frequency. The deer proceeded to hop the fence (about four feet) to their property and nearly trample them. My brother and I were watching this all go down through the window in disbelief. Those two dogs were lucky to get the hell out of Dodge as soon as the deer leaped at them.

I was walking down a pathway that went through some brush in my neighborhood several years ago, and as I was walking along a fully matured stag with big ass antlers popped it's head up out of the brush only a few feet away from me. We were both startled, and initially he motioned like he was going to charge me. Fortunately, he didn't. Those fuckers are strong.

So I spoke about here how I used to let my dog run after deer we'd encounter. In hindsight it was a really dumb idea. I let my young bitch chase the deer because I knew she'd never catch them, never thinking about the fact that deer sometimes say "f*ck it" and fight instead of flight.

There is one park we go to that has so many people present that the deer have mostly lost their natural fear and allow us to get very close. One time we got EXTREMELY close and the deer do this little "stomp" thing after a while that is the equivalent of "gtfo!"

A few times the deer ran like they were headed in our direction, scared tf out of us but changed direction. I realize deer (like most ruminants) can whoop ass when they want to.

Lately I've been cautious and I now walk around with a stick for protection.
the-walking-dead-recap-east-lennie-james.jpg

Should I continue being cautious?

Has anyone ever had a deer charge or attack them?

I used to date a girl who had two German Shepherds that had killed several adult deer. They had a pond that was down this little hill and when deer would go down to drink the dogs would ambush them and chase them down. It was crazy to see.

I've almost slammed into deer many times on my mountain bike rides.

my dad got within like 15 feet a moose. Then a ranger yelled at him and told him he was lucky to be alive.
Holy shit, was that an elaborate attempt at suicide?

The deer are generally skittish (so are less prone to attack) and even then a deer (as long as it isn't a buck with antlers) you can most likely survive. But Moose? Fughettaboutit! They are aggressive and a bull moose can weigh over 1,000 pounds!

Moose are even bigger and stronger and not to be fucked with.

True story.

My cousin just grabbed this pic this weekend with her husband on the trail they were hiking in Osoyoos with a big group. She said it just sauntered out about 20 feet from them. Crossed and went on its way.

Cougar sightings are becoming more common there.

35358142_10160624802105220_6113730614068772864_n.jpg

Does anyone here live in southern New Mexico or western Texas? When I was in El Paso a little over a decade ago I was told there were African Onyx (Antelope) that were somehow introduced into the ecosystem there, and that those things are both extremely powerful and aggressive. People would be driving down the road and the things would just attack, completely fuck up the car, and sometimes kill people.

http://www.kvia.com/special-reports/out-of-africa-and-thriving-in-southern-new-mexico/653457274

Deer are super common where I live, I usually see at least one per day. There's a group of 4 deer in the town I live that stay and live within town limits so nobody can shoot them and even some older folks in town feed them!
I've had some close encounters on the highway, once with a moose. It's kinda an eventuality in my area that everyone hits one eventually but so far I've been lucky.

This is one of the MANY reasons I will not get a motorcycle (although I want one). You can hit a deer with a car but not with a bike. A local cop just died from that near where I live.
If it goes through your windshield then it'll be the same story. Life's short. Buy the bike

200.gif

Back