Has anyone ever been caught in an "Full-Nelson" in the UFC/MMA before?

You never go full nelson bro.

tropic_thunder_rdj.jpg

Full nelson then a trip/slam onto their face would work pretty well.

Mike Mizanin UFC HW champ 2014!!!

Would make a great coach on TUF as well lol.

For serious though, the only time I've seen a full nelson employed to any effect was standing, and between two guys relatively new to the sport, which provided a good opening for knees to the body. And that was just in sparring. I don't recall ever seeing it in a real fight. It's not often the most practical use of your time and energy from someone's back.

Like I said I've never seen it so I was asking. I imagine if you were on the ground you could hold that in for the duration of the round and win the round maybe....no reason for the ref to stand it up since it's kind of like an submission hold and regardless if there is any pain it would probably be hard to get out of if they have it locked in right.

Also I see lot of WWE references, I don't think WWE invented the full nelson I'm not sure but I don't watch WWE and I still know of the full nelson.

I remember Joe Rogan screaming out that "he got him in a full nelson"....i just dont remember who or what fight.

I think Guida had one on Tyson Griffin. can't remember for sure, though.

It's been a while, but didn't Rich Clementi catch Melvin Guillard in a full nelson at one point?

Makes me sad those two never had a rematch. Rich taunting Melvin that he couldn't grapple and putting him in a full nelson was great.

not a nelson, but this came to mind

I got caught in a father nelson.

I'm pretty sure if you have such grappling supremacy in a fight that you can get a Full Nelson facebuster against a resisting opponent, then you'd be as well winning by snapping their chickenbone arms over your leg like a backwoodsman with a bundle of dry kindling.

This was beautiful.

It was a full nelson, and it took Mike and Joe about a minute to realize it. Full nelson is a submission hold but it's like the can opener. Common sense will allow you to not be submitted. Half nelson is used for transitions. Usually when someone has side control from the back, and wants to switch to traditional side control.

That's the best explanation so far. A full nelson is rarely seen in professional MMA--I'm not certain about the amateur circuit--but the half nelson is used pretty frequently.

I remember Joe Rogan screaming out that "he got him in a full nelson"....i just dont remember who or what fight.

I remember the exact same thing. Then I remember the guy with the full nelson riding the guy for quite a while. It actually seemed like a pretty good position to transition through on the way to getting your hooks in for some good back control

One time i was at a party with a bunch of dudes. We were drinking pretty heavy......last thing i remember was being put in a full nelson.......i woke up and my bum hurt really bad. I'm not sure why but i think that move can be real effective...i couldnt walk right for a week.

Back