Has anyone ever admitted to being wrong, or changed their views in this forum?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by mixmastermo, Feb 24, 2018.

1. TheWorm

TheWorm Red Belt

Jordan Breen posts here? What’s his username?

2. Bald1

Bald1 Radical Centrist

No, not banned. Hopefully just on a hiatus. He's one of the few guys I'd chat with via pm, and know he still pops in once in a while. I imagine he'll answer that question once he gets the notifications.

3. Happiness

Happiness Silver Belt

He used to, Its Jordan Breen ( he's an orange mod). I'm sure he had troll accounts too, in fact I know he had at least one.

I havnt seen him post here since 2006ish?

He was an arrogant douche back then.

Edit; plus Breen banhammered my first account, I'm sure it was him.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  4. Fawlty

Fawlty Deep State Shadow Wolf

Should go w/out saying for Bald1. I will turbo disagree about Kone and Dontsnitch. Snitch has a pleasant, proper veneer, but is a vicious and wholly dishonest person with no morals.

Quipling, Execute, Rebound59 and 3 others like this.
  5. Happiness

Happiness Silver Belt

Snitch is a piece of shit. He's almost certainly a sociopath.

6. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Three Tailed Pasha

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    I think you guys are being a bit rough on him here. He's very partisan in that he's pretty much always in it for the right and Christians specifically but I do give him points for civility which is not common in the WR.

Gandhi and Happiness like this.
  7. Happiness

Happiness Silver Belt

Sorry bro, I just don't agree. His civility, as Fawlty said, is a veneer. He's very, very dishonest.

Jack V Savage likes this.
  8. Kafir-kun

I don't know if dishonest is how I'd describe him, like I said he's partisan in that he's unapologetically out for his team and he'll get bogged down in nitpicking this or making some semantic argument about that towards that end.

Gandhi likes this.
  9. Happiness

Happiness Silver Belt

I'm probably just older and more bitter than you. I'll stay open minded in future.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  10. OeuvrePressure

OeuvrePressure Obama Jew

I've admitted I was wrong though I don't recall what it was. I saw someone man up in another thread just yesterday.

We have good posters

Gandhi, Rebound59, Bald1 and 4 others like this.
  11. Kafir-kun

tl;drI didn't think he was all bad, sometimes I did find his perspective interesting, but I see what you guys are saying.

@Jack V Savage and Fawlty seem to agree with you so between the four of us I'm in the minority. That said said he did grind my gears at times. Once we were arguing about bias and I was accusing him of being hyper defensive of Christianity and he was turning it on me by saying I'm the same with Islam. Even Bald1 ITT has admitted I'm not but anyway he pointed to a post of mine where I was discussing slavery in the Islamic world throughout history and he claimed it was an apologist post and that I'd never do the same for Christianity. Funny thing is not only had I actually made a similar argument two years earlier in reference to Biblical slavery, I did so in a conversation with him!

It was in a thread where people were criticizing Christianity because of the biblical injunctions on slavery and he was making apologist arguments in defense of the Bible. It was a conversation that stuck out in my mind because it was around that time that I started reading into Islamic history and so I saw certain parallels with Islamic slavery that made his argument make some sense and I was the only guy who acknowledged his point in that thread. Everyone else just ridiculed him for daring to defend slavery.

I thought for sure with that I could prove him wrong and get him to admit I was being consistent while he wasn't. But as you might imagine he didn't. I went back and forth with him a while longer but it was at that point I knew he wouldn't concede.Bald1 can not only admit when he's wrong but also admit when people he generally agrees with might be wrong whereas dontsnitch was far less likely to do either. They nonetheless like each other, likely because they are civil dudes and also because they generally seem to agree with one another already.

So its not like I don't see what you guys are saying, But that's him as his worst, sometimes he's better. Actually he stuck out to me precisely because of that slavery conversation. People don't really seem interested in talking about slavery most of the time beyond reflexively condemning it and if they do its usually New World chattel slavery. Even when Islamic slavery is brought up its more as a raw stat in anti-Islam polemics. So that interaction was interesting and I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a while based on it.

Fawlty and Happiness like this.
  12. Phelly2

Phelly2 Purple Belt

Personally-
    Not often. But yes, on occasion.

Something to understand about changing someone's mind on complex issues. It's not going to happen on the spot. The person needs to emotionally disconnect, double check your facts, and re-process the information. This can take days, weeks, or months. Or years. And probably over many conversations.

Forums like these led me from Christianity to agnosticism and finally to atheism. The biggest change you can probably ever ask someone to make. But do you think that happened in one conversation? Do you think I heard one good argument and said, by golly, you're right. I denounce my faith!

Some beliefs are more deep seated than others and thus might require refutations of many data points, many principles, many sources of belief, misconceptions, propaganda, whatever.

But even if you don't change your mind, you figure out how your "opponents" think and where they're coming from and you're able to better refine your own arguments and figure out where your arguments are strong and where they're weak. In either case, you improve.

Rebound59 likes this.
  13. lilelvis

lilelvis Brown Belt Platinum Member

Cid and Contra-dictator like this.
  14. Bloodworth

Bloodworth Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

I Never thought Floyd and Connor would have a boxing match

Contra-dictator likes this.
  15. Amerikuracana

Amerikuracana Titanium Belt

I've admitted to being wrong.

Rebound59 likes this.
  16. Lord Palis

Lord Palis ♔ Lord of Jameson

I make typos sll the time typing on my note and i hardly reread what i typed.

Wromg!

17. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

He's still very unpleasant and he always seems to be shrieking. He also does the DS thing where he hides his bias but isn't unbiased. Definitely smarter and better-educated than most right-wingers here, though.

I thought his relationship with Thuriasz was very telling. That guy is plain sick. One of the nastiest dudes here and with a very ugly set of beliefs, but DS would always "like" his posts and would list him as his favorite poster. So DS presented fake civility but seemed to admire Thuriasz's freedom from that kind of constraint.

Final Rehab, Happiness and Kafir-kun like this.
  18. Renard

Renard Brown Belt

I used to have no particular opinion on many subjects, open to possibilities, but after examining the evidence it was clear that one side was more correct than the other.

19. Rebound59

Rebound59 金繕い belt Platinum Member

I caught dontsnitch trolling so many times I lost all the initial respect I had for him. To me, Kone was a total waste of air and I have no regrets he's gone, and I would like to see undyng join him for the same reason as dontsnitch. Just my opinion though.

Speaking for myself, I have certainly learned here to be more careful to check my own sources and to be open to the other side of issues and I've freely admitted it when I was wrong a few times, but I haven't had any substantial change of point of view. I have seen a few others admit to errors of fact or understanding, so it's not totally unheard of around here. Whenever I see a post where a person has admitted to being wrong, I mentally add them to my "good poster" list whether I agree with their overall views or not.

Bald1, Happiness, Kafir-kun and 2 others like this.
  20. Rebound59

Rebound59 金繕い belt Platinum Member

Beat me to it.

Happiness and Fawlty like this.