Has anyone bought an origin gi recently?

Second roll, seams along one of the sleeves are falling apart. The thing has left strings all over the mat and closer look reveals dozens of loose ends. I really wanted to love this gi, but I'm done. $99 bjjhq gis from now on

Really? That sucks. I haven't had any such problem with any of my origins yet. I would def reach out to Pete to let him know. Pretty sure they'll make it right.

Second roll, seams along one of the sleeves are falling apart. The thing has left strings all over the mat and closer look reveals dozens of loose ends. I really wanted to love this gi, but I'm done. $99 bjjhq gis from now on

I just had a light roll with my dark matter today. I'm having the same issues with you. Did you return it? Did it get worse? I'm afraid that it might not be durable. It would be a shame, as I really like the Gi. So comfy and it's the only pair of pants that fit me well. I've emailed them and still awaiting their response. I hope I don't have to send it back as it took me more than 3 weeks to get my order from them.

I just had a light roll with my dark matter today. I'm having the same issues with you. Did you return it? Did it get worse? I'm afraid that it might not be durable. It would be a shame, as I really like the Gi. So comfy and it's the only pair of pants that fit me well. I've emailed them and still awaiting their response. I hope I don't have to send it back as it took me more than 3 weeks to get my order from them.

Hmmm I'm going to have to take a closer look at my dark matter. I've rolled in it twice and I don't think I have the same issue but I'll take a closer look just to make sure nothing is coming loose.

You need to call them or go on the FB group to get any response from them. They do not answer emails nor return voice mails. I called them and they emailed me a return label. I sent it back for repairs and got it back in about a week. No more issues with the stitching as of now, but it's only been 2 more rolls since getting it back.

Like I said before, I want to get behind what they do and the gi feels amazing, but the issues I've had are too much. I've been watching this FB group, and the pandering from Pete and the gang with "it will shrink and fit you perfect" when someone asks about a slightly big item just to turn around and say "it won't shrink, looks perfect" when someone posts a pic of a borderline small item is ridiculous. There's also the issue with some IBJJF judges not allowing the gis and no real clarification from the company about getting approval.

I live in New England currently, and there's a guy with about 5 schools here who is going origin only. I couldn't imagine being forced to buy a $200+ gi to start jiu jitsu in. I hear guys sometimes having to go a month or 2 doing no gi only because they're waiting on their origin order.

I got an email from origin and they said that they would sort my issue out. Hopefully they can correct it as the Gi does really well. It does what they claim it does. From the fact that you can order custom pants alone I was sold.

I do have to warn the ladies or if you plan on buying a lady origin gis. I ordered a Gi for me and my wife. We followed their sizing instructions to the dot. My Gi fit well but my wife's pants did not. The waist size and the inseam length would have been perfect but they did not take into consideration the size of the hips. I think they have a straight cut pants. My wife's hips would not get through the pants because they are not at loose as the pants with draw strings.

Now we were told to send it back for a replacement. I was a bit pissed off because it would mean that it would cost me more to send it back. The price of the Gi alone was too much plus the initial shipping to Australia, now I have to send it back again at my cost and the time that was wasted. I think my wife will get her pants in late march and we ordered this in late January.

For any of the colors, for those who own an origin gi: do they match exactly or are the pants color different than the top? I purchased a white one, and the colors are noticeably not identically the same white, although it appeared t o be identical on the pictures on the website, otherwise I would not have purchased; I like the colors to match exactly top and bottom

Otherwise I really like the gi, great fit and fabric, pants are great design, but the mismatched color is an issue

Last edited:
For any of the colors, for those who own an origin gi: do they match exactly or are the pants color different than the top? I purchased a white one, and the colors are noticeably not identically the same white, although it appeared to be identical on the pictures on the website, otherwise I would not have purchased; I like the colors to match exactly top and bottom

Otherwise I really like the gi, great fit and fabric, pants are great design, but the mismatched color is an issue

The pants are the same color as the top.
The fabric is different obviously but it'll always be white on white, black on black etc depending on the Gi you order. Some additional color added to the pant lettering "Origin" on the side but it all matches.

To the person or people who have had an issue with their dark matter Gi's I would definitely contact origin because my dark matter seems to be excellent quality. It sounds like a manufacturing issue they should fix. Mine has been through some rough rolls and a few hand washes and hasn't changed a bit.

Last edited:
I got an A3 kano. Good gi. It was rather large also, wish I got an a2. It's very baggy in the shoulders

The pants are the same color as the top.
The fabric is different obviously but it'll always be white on white, black on black etc depending on the Gi you order. Some additional color added to the pant lettering "Origin" on the side but it all matches.

To the person or people who have had an issue with their dark matter Gi's I would definitely contact origin because my dark matter seems to be excellent quality. It sounds like a manufacturing issue they should fix. Mine has been through some rough rolls and a few hand washes and hasn't changed a bit.

Yeah I've rolled in my dark matter a bunch now and it's holding up well. Definitely not having that issue.

Back