Has anyone bought an origin gi recently?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by karma2burn, Mar 7, 2016.

1. karma2burn Orange Belt

karma2burn
    I ordered a Mist about a month and change ago. Ordering process was easy and it shipped quickly. I got the gi and put it on and it was huge on me. Sleeves past my wrists and pants were almost past my heels. I had used their sizing recommendations on the site so I was a little surprised it was so off.

My dilemma was that if you wash it or wear it then you can't send it back. So what I wanted to do was take some pictures and have someone at origin tell me if I shrank the gi as much as possible would it fit or not to even bother as it would still be too big. Seems like an easily resolved issue.

So I go on the site expecting to find a support email I could send in my question. Nope, it's just a form you fill out on the site with no way to attach anything. So I filled it out and submitted it. Few days went by with no response. So I submitted another one. Still nothing. So on the site there is a number for the factory. Called it several times and got a full voice mail box.

Finally someone responds to my inquiry via email asking me some questions about the issue so I emailed him pictures of me wearing the gi so he could get a sense of the fit. Week goes by and no response. Email him again. Still no response. So I submit yet another request via the form on the site asking if I could get a full refund. Someone answers me and says just send it back and we'll refund your money but if I wanted to get my questions answered I should call the factory. Sigh. I really want to wear the gi but it's becoming ridiculous I have to pound my head against the wall to get a simple question answered.

I mean what the hell? For a $200 gi and all their marketing about american made yadda yadda yadda they have the worst customer service.

2. APWiseman White Belt

APWiseman
    I have one from 2014. The top shrank about 5-10% and the bottom no so much. It fit much tighter also.

3. Coati858 Old, slow & short

Coati858
    I have two. The first was an Axiom A2/Med with pants that fit dead-on and a kimono that is relaxed-fit good.* The second was a Silverback I got last month after calling them and asking "how much smaller is the small than the medium and do you think I'd fit?" They said go for the Small/A1 and the thing fits like it was tailored just for me (and the pants were the same size as before and fit just as well as before).

Both Origin gi's sleeves were past my wrists before washing. Their size guide pdf has a pic to show where they should be before washing and where they should end up after. Is that where your gi is fitting you?

*I am 5'6" and have lost 40 pounds since June, but I seem to live between gi sizes: I have a A1 Contract Killer that shrank up to too small (despite cold-only washing and hanging it over a chair to dry), and just gave away a Storm generic "Brazilian Fightlife" A2 that I couldn't shrink to fit no matter how much I hot washed and machine dried the thing. Both Origin gis fit better than either of my two previous gis, albeit differently.

Edit: I have twice called their customer service number since November, both times they answered and were very helpful. Maybe try calling back at a different time?

4. karma2burn Orange Belt

karma2burn
    This is how it's currently fitting me. You think it will shrink enough to fit ok?

[​IMG]

5. Coati858 Old, slow & short

Coati858
    That looks maybe a teeny bit longer in the sleeve length than how my A2 fit. How do you like your gis to fit when they're done shrinking?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  6. karma2burn Orange Belt

karma2burn
    Fixed it.

7. Coati858 Old, slow & short

Coati858
    Your pants look like something went wrong with the measurements (remember to add to your jeans size in the waist but decrease by a couple inches in the length).
    If you're going to send the pants back, you might as well ask for the smaller kimono, too. I'd call them and find some way to show them that picture, they'll have better guidance.

http://originmaine.com/sizing-chart/

It may come down to how you like your kimonos to fit.

8. karma2burn Orange Belt

karma2burn
    Yeah the pants threw me off completely since I did use my jean size waist and took some inches off for the length based on their recommendation. I'll try calling them again and see if I can actually get someone to answer. Thanks for the suggestions.

9. anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

anaconda
    I've emailed them and called them multiple times in the past 2 months. Every time I call someone answers. My emails were always answered within 24 hours.

drabon74 likes this.
  10. anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

anaconda
    Supposedly the new ones don't shrink nearly as much as the old ones.

11. karma2burn Orange Belt

karma2burn
    I guess I'm just having bad luck then. I'll call the factory again and hope I catch them at a better time.

12. Coati858 Old, slow & short

Coati858
    FWIW/IIRC I called them mid-morning (San Diego time) on a Monday.

13. Forceof1 Blue Belt

Forceof1
    Try Facebook ?

14. karma2burn Orange Belt

karma2burn
    Well small update. Got a call from Pete the owner of Origin. Wasn't able to get the call but he left a message with his personal cell number. As soon as I get a break from work I'll give him a call and I'm sure they will help me out

***Quick update***

Pete got in touch with me, took at look at the pics I took and recommended I take 2 inches off the sleeves and pants. I'm shipping it back to them and he's going to have them personally alter it for me and ship it back for no extra charge.

So I'm please to eat a little crow and say that in the end they are making everything right and going the extra mile to make sure I'm happy with my purchase.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    colby25, bklynbacon, gogoGomi and 3 others like this.
  15. drabon74 Yellow Belt

drabon74
    My favorite gi, awesome company, product, and customer support. They also just came out with a "warrior" sub brand being sold at a lower privet point. Anyone tried one yet?

16. FatherSauce Blue Belt

FatherSauce
    Warrior subject brand have its own site or does it sell from the origin site?

17. drabon74 Yellow Belt

drabon74
  18. jr jr Green Belt

jr jr
    Any one have info on the weaves? I love to support US made products, even at a premium price, but the proprietary weaves and the lack of independent reviews online make it tough. Buying a new gi is a lot of work with the different sizing and cuts now throw in new weaves not on the market anywhere alse and it gets sketchy. My current favorite Gis are the one my coach sells (he had them made and imported) and my Do or Die hyperfly. Size A2.

19. anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

anaconda
    I'm going to order a gorilla weave probably in the next couple of weeks. I'll try to post my thoughts.

I bought an Origin Nova (last year's model I think) on sale and I absolutely love it, FWIW. The cut is better and the pants are incredible. The fit of the top is sort of in between - their Large or A3 is more like a A2.5 for a lot of other companies, which is perfect for me (6', 195lbs).

ChrmnMa0 likes this.
  20. jr jr Green Belt

jr jr
    Cool I look forward to the new info.