Has any fighter besides Woodley turned down their opponents 20% purse?

Never received enough credit for that in my opinion, has Kelvin ever spoke about it?

Maybe there are others though, if so which fighters have done the same and when?
Credit is given where credit should be dued and thats in the cage, infact he should return everyones ticket money lol

Kidding. That was good of him

Silva could've been fined a percentage of his purse for the UFC 148 Sonnen rematch weigh-in incident where Anderson shoulder bumped (jawed) Chael. Keith Kizer (former NSAC head) consulted Chael and while he said a small fine should be the worst case scenario, he personally told Kizer that he wouldn't fine Anderson at all for the incident. He also stated to the media in an interview that he didn't want to take any money from Anderson for the incident because it was his money. The NSAC was looking to fine Anderson, Kizer was for sure (even mentioned a ban for Anderson in Nevada if anything like that ever happened again). The disciplinary action in the form of a potential fine was on the table and it's the principle here that matters. Chael wasn't interested.

Upon seeing Anderson Silva’s weigh-in shoulder strike, Keith Kizer had a Dana White moment.

Even though it doesn’t appear that Anderson Silva will be punished for striking Chael Sonnen with his shoulder at the UFC 148 weigh-in, Nevada State Athletic Commission Head Keith Kizer made it clear that he is very disappointed with the UFC middleweight champion. In fact, he’s so disappointed that he told “The Spider” that another such incident would get him banned from competing in Nevada. According to MMAJunkie.com, these were Kizer’s exact words to Anderson Silva:

“Look, if you ever, despite your previous record with us as a good licensee, if you ever do anything like this again, that’s it for you in Nevada. You’ll be fighting your fights elsewhere.”

So if the NSAC is so upset with Silva, then why isn’t he getting fined for his actions? Ironically – or perhaps fittingly – it was Chael Sonnen playing The Voice of Reason.

When Keith Kizer met with Chael Sonnen to discuss the incident, Chael was “very forgiving” towards the champion, and didn’t call for any type of serious disciplinary action. According to Kizer, the most that Chael Sonnen suggested was a small fine, but made it clear that he personally wouldn’t even fine Anderson for the incident.

Keith Kizer and NSAC chairman Raymond “Skip” Avansino, who had the final authority in what actions would be taken against Anderson Silva, had a far different encounter with Anderson Silva. While Sonnen was reasonable, Silva flat-out refused to acknowledge that his actions were uncalled for when he was initially confronted about the incident. As Kizer recalls:

“Anderson had some very lame excuse initially about, ‘Oh, well, Chael put his head down at the beginning of that,’” Kizer recounted. “I’m like, ‘C’mon, that’s silly.’ And then he said, ‘Well, I’m upset about what he said about my wife.’ I said, ‘Look, I understand that, but that’s not an excuse for doing what you did. It’s inexcusable what you did.’
NSAC Head Keith Kizer is not Amused by Anderson Silva’s Antics

Silva could've been fined a percentage of his purse for the UFC 148 Sonnen rematch weigh-in incident where Anderson shoulder bumped (jawed) Chael. Keith Kizer (former NSAC head) consulted Chael and while he said a small fine should be the worst case scenario, he personally told Kizer that he wouldn't fine Anderson at all for the incident. He also stated to the media in an interview that he didn't want to take any money from Anderson for the incident because it was his money. The NSAC was looking to fine Anderson, Kizer was for sure (even mentioned a ban for Anderson in Nevada if anything like that ever happened again). The disciplinary action in the form of a potential fine was on the table and it's the principle here that matters. Chael wasn't interested.

NSAC Head Keith Kizer is not Amused by Anderson Silva’s Antics
All the antics aside, Chael Sonnen is a stand up man and straight up class. Talk about real estate fraud thing but look into it and you will see while Chael was breaking the law, it wasn't for himself.

- Chael didn't take money from Anderson Silva when he could have. but chose not to

- Chael Sonnen saw an interview where an amateur wrestler wanted to go wrestle and train in Russia but was lacking funds. Chael sent him $4K which paid for 4 months of his room and board in Russia and they kept in touch and Chael continued to help and paid for him so he could stay for an entire year.

- King Mo, who loves to talk shit and entertain, says the only person he would never fight is Chael Sonnen because of what a man Chael was. When King Mo was down and out with staph, it was Chael who called up Mo and offered to pay his bills while he was out and as Mo stated, they had crossed paths but they never really knew each other well and were not close friends. As Mo said, Chael was the only one who offered to help him out and even though he declined, he says he will remember this for life.

It was nice of Tyron but I think he should have taken it out of principle.

The whole weight cutting issue sucks. But until it is fixed fighters need to be held accountable for wanting the edge in size.

he returned/refused it out of principle. You simply don't value the same things the same way

All the antics aside, Chael Sonnen is a stand up man and straight up class. Talk about real estate fraud thing but look into it and you will see while Chael was breaking the law, it wasn't for himself.

- Chael didn't take money from Anderson Silva when he could have. but chose not to

- Chael Sonnen saw an interview where an amateur wrestler wanted to go wrestle and train in Russia but was lacking funds. Chael sent him $4K which paid for 4 months of his room and board in Russia and they kept in touch and Chael continued to help and paid for him so he could stay for an entire year.

- King Mo, who loves to talk shit and entertain, says the only person he would never fight is Chael Sonnen because of what a man Chael was. When King Mo was down and out with staph, it was Chael who called up Mo and offered to pay his bills while he was out and as Mo stated, they had crossed paths but they never really knew each other well and were not close friends. As Mo said, Chael was the only one who offered to help him out and even though he declined, he says he will remember this for life.

People can hate on Chael all you want but he's a stand up guy

only recall Leslie Smith doing that in recent news.. it sucks how fighters feel pressured to accept their opponent missed weight and get smashed anyway

It doesn't suck nearly as much as cancelling fights last minute.

Got to take that money.... fighting doesn't last forever. Plus never know if you will get hired when the UFC leaves Fox.

5 days ago, leslie smith turned down 20% plus an extra $5k

Right,what a weird time to bring this up from last century and miss that news that was just plastered everywhere.I can guess though wmma bruh.As for the thread tons of people have turned that down,it's not always the doctors pulling the fighter.

Not to be a hater, but I’m totally gonna be.

Woodley made sure to catch the whole thing on camera. Kinda a cheap “look what a good guy I am” gimmick if you ask me.

It was a nice gesture by tyrone. kelvin was very unprofessional tho.

No offense to Woodley but he was foolish. I believe he said as much after Kelvin missed weight on the following fight too. It's a part of the fight game, if you don't do it you deserve the penalty.

Got to take that money.... fighting doesn't last forever. Plus never know if you will get hired when the UFC leaves Fox.
Come on Woodley has said multiple times he has other avenues of income. That's why he was able to wait for his TS and not beg for a fight. With Woodley it's not all about the money. For starters he's appeared in 9 movies since 2013 and appeared in a bunch of TV shows.

And he's a stand up guy for giving the cash back to a kid who that 20% would make a huge difference too.

Back