Has any fighter besides Woodley turned down their opponents 20% purse?

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
Never received enough credit for that in my opinion, has Kelvin ever spoke about it?

Maybe there are others though, if so which fighters have done the same and when?

Never received enough credit for that in my opinion, has Kelvin ever spoke about it?

Maybe there are others though, if so which fighters have done the same and when?

Of course you'll never hear about it, it doesn't jive with the shertard narrative for him.

HAVENT YOU HEARD BRO???? TYRON IS A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING AND HE SUCKS AS A PERSON. SOMETHING ABOUT HIM I DONT LIKE, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM LOSE, blah blah blah blah

Last edited:
5 days ago, leslie smith turned down 20% plus an extra $5k

Good on Tyron. Seems like a stand up guy in a lot of ways.

Only "race baiters" who Sherdog hates

Why do you ask?

It was nice of Tyron but I think he should have taken it out of principle.

The whole weight cutting issue sucks. But until it is fixed fighters need to be held accountable for wanting the edge in size.

only recall Leslie Smith doing that in recent news.. it sucks how fighters feel pressured to accept their opponent missed weight and get smashed anyway

Jones refused to fight a late replacement opponent, the event was cancelled as I recall it

He originally demanded more than 20% if I remember correctly (didn't blame him Kevin wasn't even close to making weight).

I didn't know he gave back the money. I guess he was only going to keep the money if he lost. That was really nice of him.

As the great ODB once said: Why would you not want free money?

thanks TS. i had missed this news. i appreciated going back and researching this topic.

although he was annoyed on a professional level, on a personal level he decided the punishment was too rough.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/2/...y-kelvin-gastelum-post-fight-press-conference
After some careful reflection, the Ferguson, Missouri native decided that holding anger towards his opponent wasn't the answer.

'When I lost to Nate Marquardt, I was actually behind in rent on my gym, and I thought to myself, ‘How am I going to make it to the next fight?' Those are the things that were going through my mind when I decided to give him the penalty money back.'

'The kid lost, had his first loss. He’s not going to get his win bonus. Dana White has probably yelled at him. His coach has probably yelled at him. He’s probably pissed off about himself. So I just can’t find it in my heart to do that right now. But, I got the win, I had a good performance, and I feel good about it.'​

No one else that I can recall. The sucky thing was that Woodley did it for Kelvin and then when Kelvin fought Hendricks and Hendricks missed weight, Kelvin took the 20% which I thought was a poor decision on Kelvin's part considering how Woodley handled it

No one else that I can recall. The sucky thing was that Woodley did it for Kelvin and then when Kelvin fought Hendricks and Hendricks missed weight, Kelvin took the 20% which I thought was a poor decision on Kelvin's part considering how Woodley handled it
ya that would have been cool if he kept paying it forward.

ya that would have been cool if he kept paying it forward.
I have no qualms about a fighter taking their opponent's 20% for missing weight but in Kelvin's case, he missed weight and his opponent felt bad for him and let him keep his money. When it was Kelvin's time to return the favor, he didn't and to me, that showed me the kind of person he is. Still a beast though

Of course you'll never hear about it, it doesn't jive with the shertard narrative for him.

HAVENT YOU HEARD BRO???? TYRON IS A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING AND HE SUCKS AS A PERSON. SOMETHING ABOUT HIM I DONT LIKE, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM LOSE, blah blah blah blah

We're all horrible assholes so the fuck what deal with it.

I have no qualms about a fighter taking their opponent's 20% for missing weight but in Kelvin's case, he missed weight and his opponent felt bad for him and let him keep his money. When it was Kelvin's time to return the favor, he didn't and to me, that showed me the kind of person he is. Still a beast though

you're a tad more willing to make a strong conclusion about his character - based on one data point - that i am.

for all we know, maybe he would have given Hendricks his money back, it it weren't for this:

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/07/ufc-20...ny-hendricks-sparring-comments-ahead-of-fight

but ya, it would have been a better story if he had paid it forward.

At first I was of the sentiment that he could've paid it forward, but Johnny was an idiot and talked about their time training together. Not a hope in hell I'd give that 20% back. Hope he bought something nice with it.

you're a tad more willing to make a strong conclusion about his character - based on one data point - that i am.

for all we know, maybe he would have given Hendricks his money back, it it weren't for this:

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/07/ufc-20...ny-hendricks-sparring-comments-ahead-of-fight

but ya, it would have been a better story if he had paid it forward.

only recall Leslie Smith doing that in recent news.. it sucks how fighters feel pressured to accept their opponent missed weight and get smashed anyway

Woodley accepted the fight, the Smith situation is completely different.

Back