Harris vs Spitz? (1st June)

Ghost in the Dark

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
4th fight of the Main Card at Utica.

usa_today_10116338.0.jpg

Daniel-Spitz-UFC-Pittsburgh-Fight-Highlights.jpg

Honestly neither of these dudes was really on my radar and suddenly here they are on the main card, 3rd from main event in a fortnight.

Spitz is 6-1 career, 1-1 UFC and Harris is 10-7 career, 3-4 UFC (3-5 including his previous stint).

Anyone know much about these guys? I know Spitz is 6'7", 82" reach and he's only 27 so I suppose that makes him one of those 'nu-breed' fighters. He trains with Pena, Sicilia and Michael Chiesa out at some small camp in Washington state. He was an American Football player and Harris was a basketballer before they switched to MMA. Harris is 6'5", 250lbs, 81" reach so they are both big boys.

People who are more familiar with these fighters, how relevant is this fight in the division?

Last edited:
It's not an important fight at all but it's a good action scrap. Sometimes at HW you gotta throw shit against a wall and see what sticks.

It'll be fun while it lasts.

Harris - his record, and particularly UFC record, don't tell the story. He's actually not that bad a HW - big, athletic specimen, heavy hands/kicks. He's had some tough losses and taken fights on short notice a few times. He was brought into the UFC way too early, he was only like 4-1 at the time meaning his record quickly looked like shit. He was cut, won one fight, then they needed a short=notice HW again so lo and behold, he's back and his record still looks like shit!

Spitz - tall, gangly HW without too much power. Ignore the Hamilton KO, I could KO Hamilton nowadays. He's very stringy for a HW and would probably be beter off at 205lbs, 6ft 7in isn't THAT tall when you're as slim as him. Think he comes in around 235lbs, bottom end of the scale. He also lacks the speed and aforementioned power at HW. Seems a cool, game dude though.

Walt Harris, TKO (punches), 1st round (early, around 1.5mins).

I'll be there live and will cheer during this fight. No Ric Flairs wooo's out of me though.

They should ban that shit in all arenas.

It'll be fun while it lasts.

Harris - his record, and particularly UFC record, don't tell the story. He's actually not that bad a HW - big, athletic specimen, heavy hands/kicks. He's had some tough losses and taken fights on short notice a few times. He was brought into the UFC way too early, he was only like 4-1 at the time meaning his record quickly looked like shit. He was cut, won one fight, then they needed a short=notice HW again so lo and behold, he's back and his record still looks like shit!

Spitz - tall, gangly HW without too much power. Ignore the Hamilton KO, I could KO Hamilton nowadays. He's very stringy for a HW and would probably be beter off at 205lbs, 6ft 7in isn't THAT tall when you're as slim as him. Think he comes in around 235lbs, bottom end of the scale. He also lacks the speed and aforementioned power at HW. Seems a cool, game dude though.

Walt Harris, TKO (punches), 1st round (early, around 1.5mins).

This.Harris is pretty good,super athletic and moves well for a big guy but finds ways to fail like a lower level Melvin Guillard.Spitz is just a body in the UFC,he is still like mid 20's though.Should be a fun fight for a minute or two if you like brutality.

I'm not mad it's on the main card, alot of people were questioning why Willis vs Sherman was on the main card and it turned out to be a banger. Should be a good fight.

Thanks guys. Well they are ranked 17th (Harris) and 23rd (Spitz) so I suppose the winner will be more or less top 15. Here's hoping it's an entertaining fight!

Ok as per my previous post not a particularly entertaining fight but Harris showed ring savvy and octagon control, closed the longer, more agile man down, kept the fight where he wanted it and when he landed power he put his opponent away. Solid win for the Big Ticket and looking forward to his next fight, just hope the pace is a bit quicker next time.

Again I kind of regret being so quick to call the fight garbage. Both guys were cautious, professional and looking to impose their game plan and with big HWs you don't want to get caught even once in a bad position. It also turns out that they both seem to have left the octagon with broken bones:

Looking forward to seeing more of both of these guys as they evolve and polish their games and with that athleticism, strength and power and fast hands Harris is certainly on an upward trajectory. Wouldn't mind seeing him fight Willis or maybe the Struve / Tybura winner.

I see them using Harris as a gatekeeper - his record is too 'far gone' for him to be able to make something respectable out of it, considering he's early 30's. He'd have to win say 3-4 in a row just to have a .5 record or whatever, and that's not happening. But he's clearly good enough to be in the UFC HW division. I reckon they'll use him to test up and comers like Spitz.

I see him fighting Justin Willis next, or Dmitry Sosnovskiy (actually, probably Dmitry).

Spitz, I'm just not sold on to be honest, the more I see of him. For a lean HW he's actually quite slow in my opinion, meaning the power discrepancy he's giving up in every fight isn't being made up for elsewhere. At best, he'd develop into a decision-machine if he can master using his reach. Nice dude, will probably last another 2-3 fights maximum before back to the regional circuit. Give him someone like Chase Sherman next.

For whatever reason the UFC LOVES Walt Harris, look no farther than them letting him fight Verdum. That was a complete joke.

For whatever reason the UFC LOVES Walt Harris, look no farther than them letting him fight Verdum. That was a complete joke.

They probably love him coz he's taken a few short notice fights.......the Werdum fight, he took on about 20hours notice mate, when Derrick Lewis pulled out the night before the fight. Harris stepped up and got mullered as we all thought he would, but it kept Werdum on the card which is what the bosses wanted.

Back