Harris Stability Systems knee sleeve review - 9mm Comp Stiff

Obscure Terror

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Having picked these up recently I thought I would post a quick review, as they are a newer company on the scene and there isn't much information out there on them. I got them as a training-only sleeve because my Slingshot Strong sleeves have shrunk a bit (or my legs got bigger) and they're a pain to get on. I can get them on OK, but it takes a while and my hands are sore after. I don't want to be doing that 3-4 times a week and will save them for 1RM testing and meets.

I originally planned to get an XL version of the STrong sleeves, but the UK distributor was out of stock. I nearly bought SBD's but I got a great deal on these sleeves from my coach who had them in the original packaging as they were too big.

As it turns out, these Harris sleeves are sized bigger than the Strong sleeves and SBD; they are also a size L like my now-very-tight Strong sleeves. They aren't a full size bigger, more a half size, and are pretty fresh so will stretch a little over time.

As shown in the photo above, they're a little larger than the STrong sleeves, which are 30cm, and have a curved profile more like a Rehband. They're a 9mm sleeve as opposed to the 7mm SBD's and STrong sleeves as they are a 2-ply neoprene, which is SCR neoprene. Harris say "not to be fooled by cheaper SBR neoprene", whether that is a dig at competitors or not I don't know. I'm not a materials expert.

Fit wise these are as expected, they slide on with some effort, but when on they fit tight, don't move around and definitely feel like they give support and warmth to the knee. There is definitely some bounce there, so much so that you feel like you need to stick your knees into the sleeve as you squat and they feel great.

Quality wise I was very impressed - the stitching is solid and clean, the printed logos look good and seem hardy enough to not wear after use, and the neoprene is high grade.

There are downsides. First, these aren't IPF legal/approved due to being 9mm, although Harris do make a 7mm version. For me that wasn't an issue as they were just to train in, and I don't think I'd compete in an IPF affiliate anyway as I prefer the local WPC affiliate's way of doing things - obviously that will depend on your personal choices.

Second of all is cost and availability as these are Australian. They cost AUD $84.95 which is approx. £50, and that's before shipping. SBD's cost £60 and Strong sleeves cost £70 before shipping, but it is UK shipping to UK so that's around £5 per. You also have to factor in the transit time from Australia which can be a pain in the arse - these are both things that didn't affect me. If there is a stockist close to you then these concerns disappear and if the price is right then you have to seriously consider these knee sleeves.

A great product, well made, feel great, and look pretty fucking cool with the black/orange.

I wear zero support equipment. That's not a brag, that's a flaw in my training and competing. I have my own reasons for going belt less (health issues) but since my strongman competition have considered at least incorporating some elbow and knee sleeves and some wrist wraps for competition.

So I'm trying to understand what stuff like this is really for and how often you should train with it. I've always been of the philosophy you should train unsupported for the majority of the time, and in the last few weeks prior to a competition start working sleeves like these into your training, however you got these to train in... So I'm a little confused. As somebody who's not a powerlifter and only occasionally does strongman or highland games shows, how often do you use gear like this? How often do you wrap/sleeve elbows, knees, and wrists?

As somebody who only tried to use straps the day of the competition, I can tell you it's not enough to overcome the learning curve.

I wear zero support equipment. That's not a brag, that's a flaw in my training and competing. I have my own reasons for going belt less (health issues) but since my strongman competition have considered at least incorporating some elbow and knee sleeves and some wrist wraps for competition.

So I'm trying to understand what stuff like this is really for and how often you should train with it. I've always been of the philosophy you should train unsupported for the majority of the time, and in the last few weeks prior to a competition start working sleeves like these into your training, however you got these to train in... So I'm a little confused. As somebody who's not a powerlifter and only occasionally does strongman or highland games shows, how often do you use gear like this? How often do you wrap/sleeve elbows, knees, and wrists?

As somebody who only tried to use straps the day of the competition, I can tell you it's not enough to overcome the learning curve.
I, along with most others, use knee sleeves every time I squat. If you can use them in competition, you might as well use them in training. I have no knee issues, and my all time PR squat was done without sleeves, but squatting with my knee sleeves is definitely way more comfortable than squatting without them.

I usually start using wrist wraps on the bench above 275. Or my first work set of the day.

I wear elbow sleeves to bench. You can't wear them at meets, but there's no difference that I've noticed.

I just came out of a 12 week training cycle where I high bar squatted without a belt or sleeves so it isn't something I do all the time. Knee sleeves can, in some cases, add weight to your lifts, but it depends on the person, the sleeve and to an extent your technique.

For me, sleeves are just a preventative measure. They keep my knees warm and provide enough support where I "feel" confident, which is important when you're doing challenging weights for multiple sets and reps. I see a belt as the same thing.

Basically, better to use it and not need it than need it and not have it IMO.

I agree totally with @JimRussel 's reply too.

I, along with most others, use knee sleeves every time I squat. If you can use them in competition, you might as well use them in training. I have no knee issues, and my all time PR squat was done without sleeves, but squatting with my knee sleeves is definitely way more comfortable than squatting without them.

I usually start using wrist wraps on the bench above 275. Or my first work set of the day.

I wear elbow sleeves to bench. You can't wear them at meets, but there's no difference that I've noticed.
Should I start wearing them? My knees are permanently inflamed after Sheiko and setting my PR.

I'm not sure they'll fix anything, they're more of a preventative measure. They won't hurt.

are we talking about neoprene, or like double or triple ply wraps? Or one for training and a differnet one for competing?

reccomended brands and length? I was thinking of getting some inzer 20" wraps and use them for push press and throwing.

again, neoprene or single or multi ply? At my last strongman comp there was a guy that swore by the triple ply Odin sleeves from https://www.strengthshopusa.com/ and used them for log press and fingals fingers but I donto know what his training was like

I just came out of a 12 week training cycle where I high bar squatted without a belt or sleeves so it isn't something I do all the time. Knee sleeves can, in some cases, add weight to your lifts, but it depends on the person, the sleeve and to an extent your technique.

For me, sleeves are just a preventative measure. They keep my knees warm and provide enough support where I "feel" confident, which is important when you're doing challenging weights for multiple sets and reps. I see a belt as the same thing.

Basically, better to use it and not need it than need it and not have it IMO.

I agree totally with @JimRussel 's reply too.
So you use them primarily for joint warmth rather than compression/assistance? Neoprene only then?

don't use sleeves or anything but im in aus so if i ever do ill prob get these, thanks opie.

I use the double ply Thor sleeves from Strengthshop. I've not noticed that they've helped me squat more, but they do help keep my knees warmed up. They do make squats feel better if that makes sense. I never squat without them.

They're not IPF approved is the only drawback I've noticed.

A few guys at my gym have the Strength Shop ones, mainly because they're cheap here in the UK, but I've seen issues with them not lasting. It seems to be a crapshoot on the quality from Strengthshop, but if you get a good batch then they make good stuff for the money.

So far mine have held up pretty good. I did get mine because of the price - $35 for the pair. If they fail, I'll probably try neoprene.

Back