Who first coined MMA terms: H-Bomb, Lay-n-pray, BJJ, Ground-n-pound, wall-walk, etc?

I'm pretty sure wall and stall came from forums and probably doesn't have a single origin. The only one I knew the answer to really was lay and pray

I'm assuming ground and pound came out of hammer house

The ones that always bugged me were "lay and pray" and "wall and stall,"

The OP here,

That's why I posted "Argument / Reference / Source"...

That's why I posed multiple un-documented "argument only" possible genesis'es, myself. See the term Gracie Jiu Jitsu, see the term Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Yeah, for those types I get it. But most of the rest is just going to be a bunch of false fluff.

I'll give you 8/10 for effort and depth - wasn't really hating on you; moreso the dumb shit that's gonna come through here as folks molest wikipedia and google to produce a bunch of horse puckey.

He did.

The twister came from Eddie Bravo. It was/is his nickname too.

If I'm not mistaken, the Machado's gave Eddie the nickname "Twister"... because he used that move and they had never seen it before (it's called the "Guillotine" in wrestling).

I think ya gotta credit the Machado's... Rigan or Jean Jacques.

I just saw that you had Twister on there? That I am pretty sure came from Eddie Bravo. I'm trying to find an old documentary he did that I watched a long time ago documenting a bunch of his tournaments showing off all his twister wins but I'm on my phone having trouble finding it. Pretty douchey documentary too

If I'm not mistaken, the Machado's gave Eddie the nickname "Twister"... because he used that move and they had never seen it before (it's called the "Guillotine" in wrestling).

I think ya gotta credit the Machado's... Rigan or Jean Jacques.
You might be right, either way I am pretty sure he talks about naming the move in that documentary if I could just find it. It has him walking around his how showing off his baller status after he submitted Royler or whatever in between videos of his matches

Last edited:
I think Mauro coined the H-bomb. I first heard it in either the Shields or the babalu fight.

I'm part way through watching Pride 6 right now and Quadros used the term "Lay and Pray" (I think during the Carlos Newton fight, though it may have been one of the others).

I´m pretty sure the term "tomato can" was coined is this forums around 2000-2002 when PRIDE set up lots of fights involving a big name against a rookie or a fighter with obvious less skills, thus things like "Wanderlei crushed that tomato can Matsui...", now the term is shortened to "can"

Last edited:
I´m pretty sure the term "tomato can" was coin is this forums around 2000-2002 when PRIDE set up lots of fights involving a big name against a rookie or a fighter with obvious less skills, thus things like "Wanderlei crushed that tomato can Matsui...", now the term is shortened to "can"
That's been a boxing term for a long time.

I think Chuck was the first to call his style "sprawl and brawl", or likely someone at hackleman's.

I'm with this guy. I find these "do my homework for me" threads irritating when there's no explanation for why we're doing it, and when there's no "thanks in advance."

Pretty sure that Slam dunk, Air ball, Give and go, Dribble-drive, Finger-roll and Brick were coined by Kenny Florian as well.

Double wristlock was named the Kimura by the Gracies,after Masahiko Kimura used it to break Helio Gracie's arm.

I´m pretty sure the term "tomato can" was coin is this forums around 2000-2002 when PRIDE set up lots of fights involving a big name against a rookie or a fighter with obvious less skills, thus things like "Wanderlei crushed that tomato can Matsui...", now the term is shortened to "can"
They have been saying that in boxing since the 1910's

That's been a boxing term for a long time.

I think Chuck was the first to call his style "sprawl and brawl", or likely someone at hackleman's.
I´ve been watching boxing for a long time, never heard it... or maybe I did but I dont recall it :(

"I am going to go home and drink a Coor's light, not Bud Light because they don't pay me anything, and after that I might just get on top of my wife."

I could be wrong, but I think Brock Lesnar might have been the first one to say this.

Can you "coin the phrase" JJ or BJJ? I mean, that's the official name.

Back