Hard gainer cardio

gazbones

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Should I be doing my cardio (jump rope/battle rope etc) before my lifting or on off days as a hard gainer

Why in the fuck would a hard gainer be doing cardio?

Is this a terrible attempt at a troll thread?

If you're a hard gainer and that's something you care about, I assume you're doing mostly hypertrophy. You should do exactly the amount of low-impact cardio that will improve the amount of volume you can tolerate/recover from, and no more. More than the minimum effective dose for recovery improvement will consume extra calories, and you need to eat like it's a war.

The three drivers of hypertrophy are

1) Mechanical tension as driven by intensity and volume (although even loaded stretching has been shown to increase hypertrophy, because it puts mechanical loading on the muscle).
2) Muscle damage, as involved in eccentric reps, sets to failure, or controlled cadence
3) Metabolite accumulation, as involved in extremely high rep sets, blood flow restriction, and sets to failure

So don't do any cardio that decreases your ability to do those things, and instead aim to just improve your recovery so you can add more sets over time. Slowly increase your caloric input, which means tracking it in the first place, so that you are actually eating more but not just getting fat.

Why in the fuck would a hard gainer be doing cardio?

Is this a terrible attempt at a troll thread?
To stay agile and not get a belly fat? Relax lol what's wrong with you?

If you're a hard gainer and that's something you care about, I assume you're doing mostly hypertrophy. You should do exactly the amount of low-impact cardio that will improve the amount of volume you can tolerate/recover from, and no more. More than the minimum effective dose for recovery improvement will consume extra calories, and you need to eat like it's a war.

The three drivers of hypertrophy are

1) Mechanical tension as driven by intensity and volume (although even loaded stretching has been shown to increase hypertrophy, because it puts mechanical loading on the muscle).
2) Muscle damage, as involved in eccentric reps, sets to failure, or controlled cadence
3) Metabolite accumulation, as involved in extremely high rep sets, blood flow restriction, and sets to failure

So don't do any cardio that decreases your ability to do those things, and instead aim to just improve your recovery so you can add more sets over time. Slowly increase your caloric input, which means tracking it in the first place, so that you are actually eating more but not just getting fat.
Thanks and what about ab exercises? I train 3 times a week (compound heavy), can I do abs on rest days?

You are overestimating your caloric intake.

Post stats and energy intake.

2x per week, easy pace that allows you to do the whole session while breathing through your nose for 30-45 mins. This will not take away from your or rob you of muscle.

2x per week, easy pace that allows you to do the whole session while breathing through your nose for 30-45 mins. This will not take away from your or rob you of muscle.

I was told a long time ago that your run shouldn't be so difficult that you can't carry on a conversation while doing it.

I was told a long time ago that your run shouldn't be so difficult that you can't carry on a conversation while doing it.

That works good but I could still carry on a conversation while being a mouth breather. For me nasal breathing works best.

There is a time for work that makes you suck buttermilk through every hole, but its not near as much as most think.

To stay agile and not get a belly fat? Relax lol what's wrong with you?
A hard gainer doing cardio is counter productive, and belly fat wouldnt be a concern. Agility doesnt equal cardio.

Im quite calm, but it seems like a troll thread.

Back