Harai-goshi Instructional

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by efficientjudo, May 30, 2018.

1. efficientjudo

efficientjudo White Belt

I get where you're coming from with this, but, at least at the moment our focus is on competitive Judo not Judo for BJJ. We've got some ideas for more depth / competitive situations which will have relevance to BJJ - example being the gripping strategies video we already released.

Thanks for your support! We've got plenty more on the way.

2. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

I don't mean that Judo, as a martial art, has failed - I just think some of the instructionals aren't very progressive and don't seem to offer much that others don't. Not meant to be a knock on Efficient Judo's technique, or production quality.

My background is Judo and have felt this way since I started BJJ a decade ago. There don't seem to be any Danahers or Ryan Halls taking the instructional game to new levels. Maybe I'm wrong and just looking at the wrong places

3. efficientjudo

efficientjudo White Belt

I get that 100% - As a Judo and BJJ practitioner myself, aware of all the material out there covering BJJ, I wanted to create something for Judo that is progressive (thats even the term we've used to describe our approach), hence the basics, set ups, variations playlists. We've got plans to expand on this, but none of the Efficient Judo team make a living from Judo and the whole Efficient Judo project runs along side our jobs, training and coaching responsibilities, so its going to take time for us to get there. Likewise, its hard to create the whole package without first covering the basics, its the logical place to start.

My hope is that we get to the point where you're saying Efficient Judo is the channel that offers what the other don't. Its feedback like yours that keeps moving in that direction.

Bluesbreaker and Auspex like this.
  4. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

I do appreciate the material - hope to see what you guys come out with.

5. jr jr

jr jr Purple Belt

RJ, this made me laugh. It was the moment where you decided not to be the "get off my lawn" old timer, but the truth is you can't decide if you really care thats who you are or not.

6. RJ Green

RJ Green Black Belt

story of my life bro.

jr jr likes this.
  7. Chungungo

Chungungo Getting some snow

Harai is super versatile , can work in any situation .
    I´ll check the videos.
    I agree with BJJ but in real life you can kill someone with harai and if you go the ground will be the basics but I don´t buy Helio´s motto that I´ll be always grappling in the ground a lot of minutes. Both extremes are bad.

8. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

How do you tell teh difference between this throw, and Ashi Guruma, or Osota Gari?

9. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

It would be interesting to see a true detailed technical judo video. The irony is that the more ‘technical’ judo teaching is, the less it usually describes reality. Instead it basically explains platonic ideals and abstract principles that have fuck-all to do with how the throw is executed in reality against a resisting opponent.

10. efficientjudo

efficientjudo White Belt

Ashi-guruma doesn't involve the hip - uke is wheeled over the out stretched leg. Harai-goshi is sweeping hip, the leg sweeps backwards. Compare:

Osoto-gari is completely different direction to the above two, there is no hip, and ukes leg is reaped away by tori's attacking leg.

Bluesbreaker likes this.