Hanging a Heavy Bag in my garage

Ok, i got a few questions:
1) price range for mounting equipment
2) is your ceiling drywalled or exposed
2.5) if it is exposed how far are the beams apart
3) how tall if your ceiling
4) how heavy is the bag
5) do you have access to 2x4's and a saw

I have hung 8 heavy bags in various garages, sadly, I was not able to hang one in my current garage because the beams are to old/weak and the landlord will not allow me to strengthen.

1) Anything reasonable
2) Drywalled
2.5) N/A
3) It's pretty low, i'm estimating 9 feet
4) 100 pounds or less
5) Not at the moment

A few things I can pepper in. I used linus' method for years. I had a wood beam so I just threw a piece of carpet over the beam to prevent the chain from chewing through it. Also, a stud finder will also find your joists in the ceiling. If you live in America, it's very likely your joists are 16" on center (measured perpendicular from the center of the joist to the center of the next joist).

I made a video on hanging my bag from a metal I beam to answer someone's question a while back. Maybe you can use some of the information:

1) Anything reasonable
2) Drywalled
2.5) N/A
3) It's pretty low, i'm estimating 9 feet
4) 100 pounds or less
5) Not at the moment

First, you will run a 2x4 across the ceiling perpendicular to the support beams, placing two screws in every support beam/2x4 junction. Next, hang a heavy bag mount onto the 2x4 at the location you want (use my previous link to find a mounting system). Finally, if you have the extra clearance get a porch swing at Home Depot and a swivel.

Equipment: stud finder, power drill, drill bit, wrench, 2x4 cut to fit across the entire ceiling, wood lag screws, mount, spring, swivel.

why don't you just get one of those stands, I understand you want to dance and circle, I always loved to move around but most of the time, the places I've trained at had shit in the way. You can always shadowbox and do that stuff.

why don't you just get one of those stands, I understand you want to dance and circle, I always loved to move around but most of the time, the places I've trained at had shit in the way. You can always shadowbox and do that stuff.

I can't fathom not being able to move 360 degrees around it. The two legs sticking out of the standard everlast stands would drive me apeshit. I want the bag up and a home gym in general, but not at the cost of training how i want.

I would ideally go for one of these but i probably wouldn't have the money and space for it anyway. It's beautiful though.

d7a17e31.jpg

got a back yard? make your own, use an old swingset or something. I'm a mover myself but it's never really bothered me that much. but it's your bag.

I have a hole drilled through the ceiling of my garage and right through the beam above it. A long (8-10 inch, I think) eye-bolt with a nut and washer on the end, and I've never had any problems with my 100 lb bag. Everyone in the house will hear your training loud and clear, though.

I have a hole drilled through the ceiling of my garage and right through the beam above it. A long (8-10 inch, I think) eye-bolt with a nut and washer on the end, and I've never had any problems with my 100 lb bag. Everyone in the house will hear your training loud and clear, though.

I'm in a townhome, do you think the neighbors will hear it or feel vibrations?

Yes, almost certainly. The house's frame does a great job of dissipating the force of your strikes against the bag--right through the entire building. Just the creaking of the bag as it swings is audible in various parts of my house, for example.

You could add a spring between the eye-bolt and bag to mitigate that, though.

oh, forget it then, just forget it, people will bitch and moan. I used to shake the whole house when I hit it.

I'm in a townhome, do you think the neighbors will hear it or feel vibrations?

You might as well buy a drum set.

A lot of people don't know this... but when you speak, the majority of what other people hear is the vibration being carried to and emanating from your bone structure. Bigger, denser bones = deeper, louder voice.
Anyway, apply that to the "bone structure" of the house. Loud and clear.

So i guess i'm going to have to go with a stand.

do what you want but you're guaranteed to get complaints, people are such whiny fucks, it's guaranteed. I actually used to take my bag down the street and hang it up on some monkey bars, I was a fanatic when I was young. I'd do anything to train it was a pure joy. Can't quite say the same although I still love it, i really have to push myself. anyway, where there's a will there's a way.

^^^^The stand will be a lot quieter. You can just hang it from a pullup stand (which is made 99.7% identically, but you can also do pullups from it) or a regular bag stand.

Pullup stand doesn't have the annoying disc-weight stack posts (cylindrical iron posts running up from the base, for stacking weights on) that you can run your feet into and hurt yourself. In my experience, those weight stack posts aren't needed at all.

To keep the chains from rattling, you can make cloth sleeves for the chains or wrap them in cloth (or duct tape, etc.) to keep them from jingling like a stampede of reindeer every time you hit the bag. It's really not too loud that way. (Also you could get a bag with cloth straps instead of chains) I've never had any neighbor's lights turn on from it

the chains rattling is one thing, but when the bag gets jostled in a way where the chains jerk, it's going to make noise unless this guys is just such a powder puff puncher that he couldn't dent a tub of jello.

the chains rattling is one thing, but when the bag gets jostled in a way where the chains jerk, it's going to make noise unless this guys is just such a powder puff puncher that he couldn't dent a tub of jello.

This is what I'm counting on

Don't sell me short guys. I'm no Julian Jackson, but i can at least get the attention of my dog, if not the neighbors :p

I learned on Fight Science that if you can get your dog's attention means the equivalent of over 2,400 lbs of pure force per punch. Neighbors rates around 3,900 or greater

mozfonky i enjoy your longwinded anecdotes, theyre genuinely entertaining to read. you paint a picture.

Back